Moving to Minnesota

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
BeautifulDisaster

Moving to Minnesota

Post by BeautifulDisaster »

I just accepted a promotion in White Bear Lake, MN and will be moving from Green Bay, WI in the upcoming months. I wanted to reach out to the community to see if they had any tips / recommendations of areas to search for an apartment / condo or home.

Salary - 70k (I'd like to keep my expenses down so I can continue maxing out my 401k,IRA and putting the loose change into my brokerage account while keeping all my hobbies intact)

Current Situation: Renting in a 3 bedroom house (3 bedroom) at $800 per month per person (2 people living) and realize that I’ll have to downsize to a 1 or 2 bedroom.

Ask: Seeking 1 or 2 Bedroom in the range of $700-800 per person

Any suggestions in areas where to search for an apartment / condo or home?

Any other tips?

*NOTE - WILL CONTINUE TO BE A BADGER AND PACKER FAN*
typical.investor

Re: Moving to Minnesota

Post by typical.investor »

It's always best when there are some Packer fans around to root against anyway.

It kinds depends where you are working. The closer you get to St. Paul, the more worries about crime. The father away, the more rural. Arden Hills, Shoreview, Mounds View are more familiar to me than North East St. Paul, but just by people. Only there to drop them off etc.

https://www.rent.com/minnesota/white-be ... -price-800
LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 »

You have plenty of options.

Personally, White Bear Lake is one of my preferred areas in the metro, it just doesn't work for us commute wise. You would be best finding something in the area.

WBL has a nice downtown area (note: not all cities do). Would recommend trying to stay near that area first. I cannot vouch for renting, but $1500 should get you something fairly decent. I don't think MN does the cost / person / month system, but perhaps that is landlord / owner dependent.

We rented in Vadnais Heights for one year and were very happy with it. Some decent townhomes near by. Had a 2BR / 2 bath with 2 car garage, heated floors for $1200 per month 4.5 years ago. I'm sure it's gone up since then.

If you cannot find something in immediate WBL / VH area, areas nearby I would recommend that are closer to the 'metro' and in between St. Paul / Minneapolis with many more amenities nearby and terrific access to the entire metro:

-Roseville
-Shoreview
-Arden Hills

Others more rural but on / near the lake:
-Dellwood
-Mahtomedi (Pronounced, MA-TOH-ME-DIE really fast)

You're commute, pending location in these cities, will be anywhere from 12-18 minutes and you will generally be going against traffic especially if you ride on HWY36 vs 694.

Much farther out but could be recommended:

Towards the North or East I could recommend Stillwater, Forest Lake, Woodbury. You're commute will suffer. You'll also be more susceptible to inclement weather which is rapidly approaching, unfortunately. But Stillwater is a nice area.

Saint Paul:

Several nice neighborhoods in St. Paul. They become less nice as winter, ice / snow begin :) A little more pockety, but I think coming from GB you're best off in WBL area. WBL itself is the size of GB so you'd feel at home from a size standpoint.

In general crime isn't an issue. Just avoid Rice Street / Dale Street areas, especially as you get further in to St. Paul. Not that it is terrible, but it just 'changes' and given the plethora of other options there is no need to look there.
ArcticMike

Post by ArcticMike »

I commuted each week from near Wausau to Minneapolis for work for about 5 years. We really enjoyed living on Long Lake in New Brighton; convenient and lots of outside things to do, plus close to Minneapolis and St. Paul. That would be an easy commute for you on 694, also.

Housing is much more reasonable since you're on the 'outside' of the 694 loop. We found prices overall to be only slightly higher than north central Wisconsin.
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

What is your acceptable commute & what are your hobbies? WBL is on northern loop of Twin Cities Beltway, so I'd stay in Northern suburbs. Mahtomedi is nice, Stillwater is lovely and close to many Lakes and St Croix River if water is your thing...The river even in the winter is lovely and Stillwater has some nice bike trails. If you are ok with 35-40min commute, Hudson is GREAT (low crime) and also a St Croix River town. And keeps you in cheesehead country :D

This is a very nice townhome - fits your $800/person limit (presuming 2 people). Would be ~40min commute but could live in a nice more rural area.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/H ... ect/11_zm/?

I'd also look at MNDOT site for current and upcoming MAJOR Road Construction projects and possibly factor that in where you choose to live. There have been some major projects recently creating nightmarish commuting and increased accident rates.
Last edited by Jazzysoon on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

I'd look for places in the northeast and east Metro area. If you stay in the same quadrant of the Twin Cities as your job, your commute will be really manageable. Mahtomedi has great schools (if you have kids or will soon have kids). Vadnais Heights, Arden Hills, Lino Lakes, White Bear Lake, Lake Elmo, Woodbury, Stillwater, Circle Pines, North Oaks would all have good commutes to WBL. The non inner-ring suburbs will have much more affordable housing prices. It depends on the locale you want. There are even rural areas with country roads and large lots within a very close commute to White Bear Lake, if that suits you.

You won't have any problem finding other Packer and Badger fans. Wisconsinites come to Minnesota because we have the jobs. :)
MRMN

Post by MRMN »

I assume a promotion means more money, and since we have a 7-9% state income tax, we're happy to have you! Not sure if I should send congrats or condolences. We also have higher sales tax.

Can you move to Hudson, or stay on the WI side, since you're already a resident? White Bear Lake is 5-10 miles from the Wisconsin border.

Just don't want your hard earned promotion to be washed out by the move.
bberris

Post by bberris »

MRMN wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:19 pm I assume a promotion means more money, and since we have a 7-9% state income tax, we're happy to have you! Not sure if I should send congrats or condolences. We also have higher sales tax.

Can you move to Hudson, or stay on the WI side, since you're already a resident? White Bear Lake is 5-10 miles from the Wisconsin border.

You still pay MN income taxes as a nonresident if you work in MN. Even the lowest tax bracket rate is 5.35 % and goes up to 7 at 38,000 MFJ. At low-moderate incomes you will pay the highest taxes in the country.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

bberris wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:40 pm
MRMN wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:19 pm I assume a promotion means more money, and since we have a 7-9% state income tax, we're happy to have you! Not sure if I should send congrats or condolences. We also have higher sales tax.

You still pay MN income taxes as a nonresident if you work in MN. Even the lowest tax bracket rate is 5.35 % and goes up to 7 at 38,000 MFJ. At low-moderate incomes you will pay the highest taxes in the country.
There are plenty of states with higher state sales tax for moderate salaries. Oregon has 9% on salaries over $17k MFJ. Nebraska has 6.85% on salaries over $60k MFJ. Montana has 6.9% on salaries over $18k MFJ. Maine has 6.75% on salaries over $43k. Iowa has 7.92% on salaries over $48k. Hawaii has 7.90% on salaries over $72k MFJ. Vermont has 6.8% on salaries over $63k MFJ.

Our property taxes are very reasonable, and many items are exempt from sales tax. Oh, we also consistently have one of the best qualities of life in the entire United States.

White Bear Lake is not 5-10 miles from Wisconsin. More like 20-25 miles (depending on which bridge you cross) and a 25-35 minute drive.
Topic Author
BeautifulDisaster

Post by BeautifulDisaster »

Glockenspiel wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:55 pm
bberris wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:40 pm

There are plenty of states with higher state sales tax for moderate salaries. Oregon has 9% on salaries over $17k MFJ. Nebraska has 6.85% on salaries over $60k MFJ. Montana has 6.9% on salaries over $18k MFJ. Maine has 6.75% on salaries over $43k. Iowa has 7.92% on salaries over $48k. Hawaii has 7.90% on salaries over $72k MFJ. Vermont has 6.8% on salaries over $63k MFJ.

Our property taxes are very reasonable, and many items are exempt from sales tax. Oh, we also consistently have one of the best qualities of life in the entire United States.

White Bear Lake is not 5-10 miles from Wisconsin. More like 20-25 miles (depending on which bridge you cross) and a 25-35 minute drive.
I checked out this https://smartasset.com/taxes/paycheck-c ... 6ncUAWP4sZ and compared the salary of 70,000 from Green Bay, WI to Minneapolis, MN with no allowances for federal, state and local and came out with that my estimated semi-monthly take home pay would be:

1. Minneapolis, MN = $2074
  • 21.25% Taxes (Federal, State, Local)
    7.65% FICA (Social Security, Medicare)

2. Green Bay, WI = $2084
  • 20.89% Taxes (Federal, State, Local)
    7.65% FICA (Social Security, Medicare)
Did I do this right?
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

Ever thing in the Cities will be more.

Taxes are probably a wash.

I think you might find a cute apartment above a business in downtown WBL. North Saint Paul is supposed to be very neighborly. I worked a year in Mahtomedi is has a tony, we think we are fancy feel to it that I didn’t care for.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

If you work in WBL I'd put roots down there if you can afford it. Don't discount the cost of commuting, both in $$$ and time. Coming from GB, WBL would be a good fit too. I also moved from GB but went to Mpls. Took a while to get used to that, and it was not cheap.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

Welcome to Minnesota :sharebeer
As others have shared there is plenty of apartments or Town House, Condo rentals in the northern suburbs. Generally, the further away from the downtown areas the cheaper the rent. 694 can get backed up during rush hour, and our never ending road construction, so the closer to your work the better.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I'd get something as close to work as possible. walkable/bikeable if possible, and if not, within a short drive. I'd advise strongly against that 40 minute commute someone recommended. driving is dangerous, the more miles you drive the more likely you'll be paralyzed, braid damaged, killed in a car wreck.

If you want more nightlife/restaurants, St. Paul has lots to offer and you would have a reverse commute. I would stay north of 94 though, to avoid highway traffic. Only problem is St. Paul gets its tap water from Minneapolis' waste water treatment plant, but they have excellent filtration (joking).

I live in Minneapolis, which is a nice city, but I would strongly advise against commuting from Minneapolis to WBL.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

Some of those northern suburbs mentioned here are very livable and lots of condo/townhouse options. There are also great bike trails that connect with St. Paul and Mpls. I live in St. Paul and just love it here. If I were you I'd try to move close to work to save any commuting headache at all. I walk one mile to work and I can't tell you how that has significantly improved my life!
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Cycle wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:17 pm I'd get something as close to work as possible. walkable/bikeable if possible, and if not, within a short drive. I'd advise strongly against that 40 minute commute someone recommended. driving is dangerous, the more miles you drive the more likely you'll be paralyzed, braid damaged, killed in a car wreck.
I cannot imagine cycling in a Minnesota winter? That's for the truly hardy?

And biking is, I would suspect, considerably more dangerous *per mile* than driving. I am not even sure the (undoubted) health benefits of cycling are there if you commute in heavy urban traffic due to the air pollution problem - PM 2.5 particulates and NOx.

One of the reasons driving has become so dangerous is the danger to pedestrians and cyclists arising from larger, safer cars, which make drivers less alert and cautious. There's a whole theory of "risk budgeting" that we increase our speeds and engage in less safe behaviours because we have safety belts (Minnesota would have one of the highest compliance rates in the USA), better sound insulation, SUV drivers position is elevated etc. It has been said that the best road safety measure ever would be to take away the seatbelts and airbags and put a metal spike in the centre of the steering wheel -- everyone would drive *very* carefully.

http://faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/~i ... 104-07.pdf
Wilde (1982) formulated the risk homeostasis theory to explain
risks in road safety. Wilde’s research developed from psychological
theories of human behavior and posited that individuals seek
stimulus from achieving a specified target level of risk in their lives.
Thus, any reduction in transport risk might increase risk-taking
behavior to achieve the same target level of risk. Expanding this
beyond just transport behavioral reactions, Wilde suggested that
other risky behaviors for which individuals derive pleasure might
also increase (e.g. rock climbing, sky diving, or other thrill-seeking
activities). The homeostatic mechanism described by Wilde was
that target risk would remain constant and that effective policies
must be aimed at reducing the desired target risk. One assumption
behind this theory is that individuals can accurately perceive their
target levels of risk, which can clearly be disputed. The risk
homeostasis hypothesis led to controversy and attempts at
empirical verification; results over the years have been mixed, but
with a general consensus that there is some behavioral adaptation,
but not a complet
(Don't get me started on texting while driving ;-). Normally, I am opposed to capital punishment, but for some crimes ... ;-))*

* in Larry Niven's Gil the Arm series, it becomes possible to use virtually any human body part in major organ transplants. One consequence of that is that Joe and Joanne Public can live forever if there are enough body parts. Thus the public begins to vote to widen the list of capital crimes -- eventually running a red light becomes such a crime.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/n/larr ... milton.htm and also A Gift From Earth. Don't let the lurid covers of the UK editions put you off.
typical.investor

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:57 am I cannot imagine cycling in a Minnesota winter? That's for the truly hardy?
Embrace the winter or lose your mind. You want a sturdy soul, you got it.
Why Ride in Winter?
At first, it might seem to be a daunting activity—bundling yourself up to ride through winter snow, ice, rain or even just cooler temperatures. But give it a chance. I've been a successful 4-season rider for many years now, and I live in Minneapolis. I have never regretted trading my commute by car for a commute by bicycle.

The rewards are many. I never get stuck in traffic. I never have to wait for a tow truck to get a jump-start or change my oil or pay for gas. The peace and solitude of an early morning ride through a light January snow is something that I would never give up.

Regardless of the weather, you benefit greatly by riding a bike more. The exercise alone is an almost unimaginable reward. Instead of sedentary transport by car, the very act of going from place to place by bike gets your heart pumping, blood flowing and the calories burning.
Watch out for areas with melted snow. Snow often melts in the sunlight but refreezes in lower temps or as the sun sets. These are likely places to find black ice, which, as with auto driving, is probably the single most dangerous aspect of riding a bike in below-freezing conditions.
The good news is that your bike is likely going slowly and you have a few extra clothes to help pad a fall.
Just watch out for those sliding cars!

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... cling.html
typical.investor

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:57 am
http://faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/~i ... 104-07.pdf
Wilde (1982) formulated the risk homeostasis theory to explain
risks in road safety. Wilde’s research developed from psychological
theories of human behavior and posited that individuals seek
stimulus from achieving a specified target level of risk in their lives.
Thus, any reduction in transport risk might increase risk-taking
behavior to achieve the same target level of risk. Expanding this
beyond just transport behavioral reactions, Wilde suggested that
other risky behaviors for which individuals derive pleasure might
also increase (e.g. rock climbing, sky diving, or other thrill-seeking
activities). The homeostatic mechanism described by Wilde was
that target risk would remain constant and that effective policies
must be aimed at reducing the desired target risk. One assumption
behind this theory is that individuals can accurately perceive their
target levels of risk, which can clearly be disputed. The risk
homeostasis hypothesis led to controversy and attempts at
empirical verification; results over the years have been mixed, but
with a general consensus that there is some behavioral adaptation,
but not a complet
Interesting. I was typically riding the last bus home through the worst neighborhoods after work back when it was called Murderapolis; City of Wakes. I was really straight laced back then. Maybe it was to compensate.

Anyway for the OP, Violent crimes is worse in Mpls than St. Paul, so if you have to be urban ... I'd go with St Paul.

Mpls is a great place and all, just saying if you get out at night that you should tell yourself you are in Milwaukee. Most of Minnesota isn't like North Minneapolis, but you know it's America.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

typical.investor wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:01 am

Interesting. I was typically riding the last bus home through the worst neighborhoods after work back when it was called Murderapolis; City of Wakes. I was really straight laced back then. Maybe it was to compensate.
If you skim the article you will see it is not an uncontested theory however it has some validity (if not 100%).

I think there is a difference between danger as the kind experienced by a whoosh near miss - like riding every day in traffic -- immediate stab of adrenalin. Versus existential threats (someone was shot on that street corner last week; someone was knifed on this bus). I live in a very safe neighbourhood in London (compared to some I have lived in) but someone was murdered at the end of the road last year - but it was just a disagreement between two people who knew each other outside a fast food restaurant that attracts trouble. I am not afraid when I walk home from the subway.

If we risk budget I suspect it is for the former not the latter. We don't move to less safe neighbourhoods because we are bored, we take more risk in driving or on bicycles because it is too easy. A known factor with SUVs is that the driver feels more remote from the road and this seems to lead to riskier behaviour (pet peeve: driving in icy conditions like it's not icy -- do not get me started on the English and icy roads or fog! Just because your Land Rover gets going better on icy roads does not mean it has a shorter stopping distance).

Friends of mine who do danger sports like sky diving or rock climbing do note that tendency to take bigger risks as they get more comfortable.
Anyway for the OP, Violent crimes is worse in Mpls than St. Paul, so if you have to be urban ... I'd go with St Paul.

Mpls is a great place and all, just saying if you get out at night that you should tell yourself you are in Milwaukee. Most of Minnesota isn't like North Minneapolis, but you know it's America.
I think in a lot of America crime has followed the migration of people out to the suburbs? My friends tell tales of crack dens or meths labs in their quiet suburban 'hoods.
LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 »

At the risk of disappointing some posters, this thread took a turn focusing a bit on crime. As a non-native to the state of MN, my two cents, and that is all it is, is that natives here (in general, particularly those that have never left the state) have a skewed perception of what crime and 'bad areas' are. And before someone beats me to it, yes, there are pockets (i.e. N MPLS) but for a metro of this size it is remarkably safe.

I just wanted to add this to you so you don't think you're moving to some crazy urban crime ridden metro.

The cold absolutely keeps the riff raff away.

Also you are seeing a theme here:

-Minimize commute
-WBL is a great bet for you
Cody

Post by Cody »

I'll put in a word of a very active and thriving Minnesota Boglehead group that meets 4 times a year and 2 "splitter" groups from that (which meet an additional 3-4 times as well.)

I could put you in touch with those groups if you like.

PM me.

Cody
steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy »

You can’t go wrong by renting very near to work. You can always move a year or two later after you’ve gotten to know the area.
farmecologist

Post by farmecologist »

Cody wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:26 am I'll put in a word of a very active and thriving Minnesota Boglehead group that meets 4 times a year and 2 "splitter" groups from that (which meet an additional 3-4 times as well.)

I could put you in touch with those groups if you like.

PM me.

Cody

Interesting. I'm from Rochester, MN but grew up in St Louis Park back when it was an actual separate suburb. :D Now it is just part of the city it seems.

If you could add me to the MN bogleheads list I would appreciate it.
a_movable_life

Post by a_movable_life »

Consider a block heater and somewhere to plug it in?
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

money_bunny wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:13 pm Consider a block heater and somewhere to plug it in?
If you have any sort of garage to park in, whatsoever, you won't need a block heater. If you're parking outside all winter long, you may have a bit of an issue in January when it occasionally gets down to -5 to -15 degrees overnight.
Tracker968

Post by Tracker968 »

Welcome to MN! I grew up in White Bear Lake married a girl from North St. Paul and now live in Stillwater (moved a whole 12 miles from where I grew up!). Here are a couple of other points to consider: WBL is more of a white collar community, North St. Paul is more blue collar. WBL has a very nice small town downtown area near the lake. Very desirable place to live. There are two other lakes close by, Bald Eagle Lake and Otter Tail Lake. Try to get close to one of the lakes. Look at a map and check where the parks are. Nowadays a lot of people consider WBL to be the area near I-35E. That is a relatively newish area with more condos etc but doesn't have the small town feel. It is great for commuting though depending where your job is. Stillwater is a nice town but only has the river so getting a place on or near the water is expensive. The Twin Cities Bicycle Club (biketcbc.org) has a huge number of organized rides virtually everyday throughout the Twin City area, and there are a lot of cross country skiing options in the winter.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Glockenspiel wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:23 pm
money_bunny wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:13 pm Consider a block heater and somewhere to plug it in?
If you have any sort of garage to park in, whatsoever, you won't need a block heater. If you're parking outside all winter long, you may have a bit of an issue in January when it occasionally gets down to -5 to -15 degrees overnight.
I never had any issues parking outside in Minneapolis last ten years, just have a strong battery and don't leave the lights on. My 150k mile Accord would turn over just fine when -20f
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:57 am I cannot imagine cycling in a Minnesota winter? That's for the truly hardy?
Honestly it's not a big deal, the cold/snow that is. It's a lot easier than dealing with a car or forcing yourself to get exercise. In Minneapolis there are trails and bike lanes that make it pretty safe. The trails in minneapolis are plowed right away by the park district, before most streets. In the xurbs and suburbs, they aren't well maintained in winter.

All the Minneapolis' suburbs, including St Paul, are very dangerous to bike in primarily due to the distracted drivers and lack of bike infrastructure. There are some safe routes (off street trails) that are excellent for a weekend ride, but they are pretty dispersed. I'd ride on the sidewalk in the suburbs to avoid dying. I occasionally bike in the suburbs and it's terrifying.

Here's a video on biking in Minneapolis
https://youtu.be/xcc06ilJZ94
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

Another welcome. I've lived in the Twin cities area for close to 45 years, the last 40 in St. Paul within easy running distance to the Mississippi.

I have friends in Vadnais Heights, Shoreview, Forest Lake, and Stillwater. I have biked in all these areas as well. I think the NE suburbs of St. Paul are good options. To me distinguishing factors would be traditional downtowns (Stillwater and White Bear lake stand out for me) versus more residential areas. If you are into nighttime entertainment, Forest Lake starts to be a bit far out.

Cody heads up the Boglehead East Group. I attend his meetings with some regularity.