If On Medicare Before SS, How Do You Pay?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
EyeDee

If On Medicare Before SS, How Do You Pay?

Post by EyeDee » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:23 am

If you are on Medicare before starting Social Security, how do you pay your premiums?

I believe the bills they send can be paid by check or credit card. They also seem to have a way to switch to direct deposit.

What do you use and why? Is their some advantage(s) in using a particularly method?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Randy

sport

Re: If On Medicare Before SS, How Do You Pay?

Post by sport » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:28 am

DW is on SS, but the amount she receives is not enough to cover the Medicare premium. SS sends her a bill for the difference, and we send a check. I would not want to set up anything automatic with them because they have made mistakes in the past.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:30 am

EyeDee wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:23 am
I believe the bills they send can be paid by check or credit card.
Credit card with 2% cash rewards. It does cost a forever stamp.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:35 am

DW just started for November. They bill you for three months at a time, with the next bill reflecting any rate increase imposed for January of next year. Choices are to mail a check or credit card info, use your bank's online bill pay, or set up direct withdrawal. We are using credit card payment to get the cash back bonus since they don't charge an extra fee for using a CC.

retired early&luv it

Post by retired early&luv it » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:52 am

KlingKlang wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:35 am
DW just started for November. They bill you for three months at a time, with the next bill reflecting any rate increase imposed for January of next year. Choices are to mail a check or credit card info, use your bank's online bill pay, or set up direct withdrawal. We are using credit card payment to get the cash back bonus since they don't charge an extra fee for using a CC.
Thanks for posting, I also had this question and wondered if there was a fee for credit card use. I start on Medicare in December.

ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:57 am

Pay with HSA funds - Medicare insurance premiums are approved expense.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:04 am

EyeDee wrote:
If you are on Medicare before starting Social Security, how do you pay your premiums?

I believe the bills they send can be paid by check or credit card. They also seem to have a way to switch to direct deposit.

What do you use and why? Is their some advantage(s) in using a particularly method?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
I pay with a credit card, as I do with all other bills and purchases. Easy to track your expenses that way, plus I get the 2% rewards.

Just made my first payment. No fee as far as I could tell.
Last edited by munemaker on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:05 am

vtMaps wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:30 am
EyeDee wrote:

--vtMaps
So, you mail in the payment by writing your credit card number on the remittance slip? It seems risky.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:06 am

HueyLD wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:05 am
vtMaps wrote:
EyeDee wrote:

--vtMaps
So, you mail in the payment by writing your credit card number on the remittance slip? It seems risky.
Risky for the bank maybe. I am not liable for any fraudulent charges. Actually, I don't think it is very risky. You pay by the quarter, so exposure is not that high.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:11 am

Google "Medicare Easy Pay" and it will tell you how to set up an automatic monthly payment of your Medicare premium.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:18 am

A question for those who went on Easy Pay initially, but had Medicare premium withheld automatically from SS later:

How long did it take for the SSA/CMS to reimburse you for double dipping?

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:04 pm

we are in the same boat, so far we made one payment via check.

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:55 pm

We've used a cash rewards credit card for DW's Part B Medicare payments totaling $1608 per year. You simply return the quarterly premium reminder received from Medicare with the cc info and a $402 debit posts to the account maybe a week later. So far, it's worked like a charm. We expect to do one more quarterly payment for the first quarter of 2019. DW should start receiving a spousal benefit starting with the month of February (her bd is in Jan.) so we think we'll be due a refund check for 2 months' premiums since her Part B premium should automatically be deducted for her benefit payment.

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:17 pm

I'm abroad so I paid with Schwab Bill Pay. If I were in the US, I would have returned the invoice by snail mail and payed with a credit card. Air line miles, yeah!
No Where for Very Long...

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:19 pm

EyeDee wrote:

I used auto-pay direct from my HSA (until my HSA was used up). Now I use auto-pay from my checking account.

Direct pay is set up via SF5510 Preauthorized Payments form.

Initial setup took several months. Actually, it was approved promptly, but payments were not withdrawn for months, when a multi-month payment was withdrawn. Change from HSA to checking took just a few weeks.

Once in place, monthly auto-pay simply runs like clockwork. Way too easy.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:20 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:05 am
I would think it would be less risky than sending a check. My credit card is protected in case of fraudulent charge. My check will have my name, account number, and routing number on it, and my checking account is vulnerable to being cleaned out if breached.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Nicolas
Location: Oh my name it is nothin’. My age it means less. The country I come from, Is called the Midwest

Post by Nicolas » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:33 pm

Every three months I pay it by writing my HSA's debit card number on the payment slip and sending it back by US Mail. I do this for both my and my wife's payment at the same time. One envelope and one stamp.
You never miss your water till your well runs dry.

Walkitoff

Post by Walkitoff » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:41 pm

If a credit card is used, can one then reimburse oneself from the HSA account obtaining the best of both worlds - the 2% cash back and the tax free deduction?

Nicolas
Location: Oh my name it is nothin’. My age it means less. The country I come from, Is called the Midwest

Post by Nicolas » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:44 pm

Walkitoff wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:41 pm
If a credit card is used, can one then reimburse oneself from the HSA account obtaining the best of both worlds - the 2% cash back and the tax free deduction?
Yes you can, but keep your records for seven years in case of an audit.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:51 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:44 pm
Walkitoff wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:41 pm
Yes you can, but keep your records for seven years in case of an audit.
Yes: You can reimburse yourself from your HSA for Part B payments you've made by check or credit card.

No: Once you are on Medicare, you can no longer fund your HSA, so you cannot continue adding tax-free deduction.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:52 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:18 am
A question for those who went on Easy Pay initially, but had Medicare premium withheld automatically from SS later:

I'm interested in the answer to this as well.

My plan is to stop the Easy Pay 6 months before starting SS and see where the chips fall.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:10 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:52 pm
HueyLD wrote:

My plan is to stop the Easy Pay 6 months before starting SS and see where the chips fall.
I attempted to help a relative to stop the Easy Pay. But the SSA/CMS sent the form marked with "STOP" back saying that he already signed up for the Easy Pay.

So, I had him write up a cover letter explaining that he wanted to STOP, not to Start the Easy Pay and he sent the same form with cover letter back to the SSA/CMS. It was a mess and took a long time for the stop to take place.

I am certain that it was an infrequent mistake, but that got me paranoid about using the Easy Pay in the future.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:51 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:10 pm
BolderBoy wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:52 pm
HueyLD wrote:

I attempted to help a relative to stop the Easy Pay. But the SSA/CMS sent the form marked with "STOP" back saying that he already signed up for the Easy Pay.

So, I had him write up a cover letter explaining that he wanted to STOP, not to Start the Easy Pay and he sent the same form with cover letter back to the SSA/CMS. It was a mess and took a long time for the stop to take place.

I am certain that it was an infrequent mistake, but that got me paranoid about using the Easy Pay in the future.
Hmmmm. I guess when I send the STOP form I'll be sure to HIGHLIGHT the STOP part.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:37 pm

This is a "no politics" forum. In reference to some earlier posts, discussion on changes to Social Security (delaying retirement age) is off-topic.

Social Security is based on US law. Changes to Social Security require a change in legislation, a political process (proposed legislation). As a reminder, see: Politics and Religion

In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
Update 10/30: The earlier posts have been since been removed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

khh

Post by khh » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:21 am

Can you have your Medicare supplement premiums deducted from your Social Security check?

celia

Post by celia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:35 am

We had automatic withdrawal from our checking for Medicare premiums before we started SS. I like the "set it and forget it" that allows us to travel for extended periods and our payments can never be late. We had no problems with it at all.
khh wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:21 am
Can you have your Medicare supplement premiums deducted from your Social Security check?
I think you can, but I don't recommend it. Should you want to change carriers (like we've done twice), you risk Medicare continuing to pay the old carrier. I would rather take responsibility for starting automatic payments for supplemental insurance premiums to my new carrier. After I know they've cashed my initial check and linked to my checking, we cancel with the old carrier. (Never cancel until you are sure the new carrier has accepted you and you've made a payment.)

celia

Post by celia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:45 am

SeeMoe wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:15 pm
It may be better to take SS also at age 66 says a recent Barron’s article.... The article suggests SS May have to begin reducing benefits by 1/2 of 1% per year soon
Considering that SS usually increases MORE THAN 1/2 of 1% each year due to inflation, I see no problem, even if the reduction takes place (with the COLA).

SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Interesting assumption. I didn’t think of that! Unless the SS administrators have something up their sleeve like watering down the cost of living allowance also?

SeeMoe.. :?:
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:38 pm

HueyLD wrote:

I was on Medicare and used Easy Pay (auto pay from my checking account) for 4 years before starting SS just last month (Yea!!!). I was a bit concerned that they would mess it up and keep the auto pay running even while subtracting the premium from my SS payment. Nope. Got my first SS payment on the 17th and the CMS withdrawal that was regularly on the 20th did not happen.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:34 am

Thank you GerryL. I guess it is safe to sign up for the EZ Pay when the time comes.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:18 am

HueyLD wrote:

It took them 2 months to figure it out, then they refunded each month separately.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:23 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:18 am
HueyLD wrote:

It took them 2 months to figure it out, then they refunded each month separately.
Were you billed quarterly or monthly?

I heard that the refund may be quicker for those who were on monthly billing.

However, the two month period is still very reasonable.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:23 am

ABQ4804 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:57 am
Just curious, but why not pay with CC for rewards, then draw from HSA?

dowse

Post by dowse » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:40 am

HueyLD wrote:

Nothing to worry about as others have mentioned. In my case, I just put the blinders on and paid what I was billed, knowing that my last quarterly bill would result in an overpayment by 2 months. I received a check from the US Treasury in the amount of the 2 month overpayment.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 am

I had the monthly payment deducted from my checking account from age 65 until age 70 via the Easy Pay option.

Using the following form: https://www.cms.gov/medicare/cms-forms/ ... nglish.pdf (which was used to start monthly payments when I turned 65), I simply used the "stop payment" check box, and I noted the month that payments were to cease.

In my case, I turned 70 this past January, with SS payments (and the part B deduction from SS) starting in February.

In November of last year, I sent in the form and noted that I wanted to stop checking deductions in January (January's premium was withdrawn from my checking in December).

Everything worked as planned. SSA made the deduction in December from checking (to pay January's premium) and made no checking withdrawal in January (which would have been for February). My February Part B payment came out of my first SS deposit - in February.

There was no delay/premium adjustment in my case.

- Ron

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:11 am

Ron wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 am
I had the monthly payment deducted from my checking account from age 65 until age 70 via the Easy Pay option.

Using the following form: https://www.cms.gov/medicare/cms-forms/ ... nglish.pdf (which was used to start monthly payments when I turned 65), I simply used the "stop payment" check box, and I noted the month that payments were to cease.

In my case, I turned 70 this past January, with SS payments (and the part B deduction from SS) starting in February.

In November of last year, I sent in the form and noted that I wanted to stop checking deductions in January (January's premium was withdrawn from my checking in December).

Everything worked as planned. SSA made the deduction in December from checking (to pay January's premium) and made no checking withdrawal in January (which would have been for February). My February Part B payment came out of my first SS deposit - in February.

There was no delay/premium adjustment in my case.
Quite excellent. This is how I am hoping that it works for me as well.

Point of interest, did you fill out the form you referenced above, completely by filling in all the requested info, including bank account info and such? It looks like the only indication anywhere on the form to "stop" the debiting is the "Stop" checkbox itself, so an inattentive clerk could foul it up pretty easily.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:31 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:11 am
<snip,,,>Point of interest, did you fill out the form you referenced above, completely by filling in all the requested info, including bank account info and such? It looks like the only indication anywhere on the form to "stop" the debiting is the "Stop" checkbox itself, so an inattentive clerk could foul it up pretty easily.
Yes, I gave them the bank info to ensure that they were working with the correct record...

- Ron

dcdowden

Post by dcdowden » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:54 pm

HueyLD wrote:

My wife went on Medicare at 65 and set up Easy Pay for auto payment which worked fine - they still sent a monthly statement.
She just started collecting spousal benefits on Social Security at age 66 this month.
The CMS payment stopped last month, and her SS benefit had the correct deduction for Medicare this month.
So - it worked exactly as we expected.

SGM

Post by SGM » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:58 pm

Initially I paid by check then credit card. Later I allowed Medicare to bill directly and automatically out of my checking account. I had read somewhere that missing Medicare payments could jeopardize my delayed SS payments So I made the payment automatic and always had enough in my checking account to pay it. It was several years ago so I don't recall the source of that information.

Topic Author
EyeDee

Post by EyeDee » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks everyone for the helpful answers.

However, they have prompted some additional questions.

When do quarterly Medicare premium bills arrive in the mail?

For example if one is starting Medicare in December does the bill arrive:
- Mid November?
- Late November?
- Early December?

And when does the normal bill arrive for the quarters? Does the government use January-March, April-June, etc. type quarters so that the bill would arrive:
- Mid December?
- Late December?
- Early January?

OR do they use some shifted quarter like February-April, May-July, etc. type quarters so that the bill would arrive:
- Mid January?
- Late January?
- Early February?

Thanks again for all the answers and for any additional information you can provide.
Randy

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:55 pm

If your Medicare starts in Dec., the first quarterly invoice will arrive in early to mid-Nov. with a due date of 11/25. They want to collect in advance.

And the quarter will start in Dec. so, the first invoice will be for Dec. thru Feb. and so forth.

If you miss a payment, they will send you a second invoice. And a third invoice for the delinquent bill will be your last notice. After three strikes, you will be out of the Medicare (I.e. cancelled).

22twain

Post by 22twain » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:33 pm

My Medicare coverage began in January, after applying for it late November / early December at my local SS office. No SS yet; I'm waiting until age 70 for that. My first premium bill arrived in early January, dated 12/27/2018 and due 1/25/2019. I was expecting it to be for one quarter (three months), but it was actually for four months (01/01/2019 - 04/30/2019): $542.00 = 4 x $135.50.

At the same time that I mailed my payment, I also mailed my application for Easy Pay (automatic bank draft). Different post office boxes in St. Louis, so different envelopes. We'll see what happens in April/May...
Last edited by 22twain on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:51 am

Enrolled in Medicare at local SS office. Office worker explained what would happen.

I paid Medicare quarterly by 2% CC + forever stamp.

Recall the Medicare quarters were based on my anniversary date upon starting Medicare.

Payment due for the quarter in advance.

Recall bill arrived about a month before due date.

Transition to SS and monthly payments of Medicare was almost painless. Did paperwork at local SS office to start SS. Office worker explained what would happen.

I had a one month overlap between Medicare by the quarter and monthly Medicare after taking SS. The overpayment resulting from quarterly payments and monthly payments after starting SS---paid as reduced SS benefit---was corrected as a credit on next monthly SS benefit.

Everything has worked as advertised by the employees at the local SS office.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:46 am

vtMaps wrote:
EyeDee wrote:

--vtMaps
That's what I do too.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:34 am

Another data point: I received a medicare quarterly bill in December for Jan-Feb-March. I mailed it in with my credit card info. I expected that it would be totally refunded because I start SS benefits in January (first benefit check to come this month).

It's now three weeks since I mailed in the payment and the charge has not shown up on my credit card.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:10 am

vtMaps wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:34 am
Another data point: I received a medicare quarterly bill in December for Jan-Feb-March. I mailed it in with my credit card info. I expected that it would be totally refunded because I start SS benefits in January (first benefit check to come this month).

It's now three weeks since I mailed in the payment and the charge has not shown up on my credit card.

--vtMaps
I mailed a credit card payment on January 11. It did not post to my account until late last week.

Government shutdown had an effect?
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:55 am

Stinky wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:10 am
I mailed a credit card payment on January 11. It did not post to my account until late last week.

Government shutdown had an effect?
I just went back online and checked... now it has posted. I don't know when I will get my refund, but I did make 2% on the payment.... unless the refund is made as a credit to my credit card.

--vtMaps

Topic Author
EyeDee

Post by EyeDee » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:05 pm

It should be noted that Medicare upgraded their payment options sometime in mid 2019, so one can now pay premiums online using a credit or debit card at MyMedicare.gov.

Works very nice and the government does not charge an extra fee.
Randy

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:46 am

EyeDee wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:05 pm
It should be noted that Medicare upgraded their payment options sometime in mid 2019, so one can now pay premiums online using a credit or debit card at MyMedicare.gov.

Works very nice and the government does not charge an extra fee.
This is very late but thank you for posting this. Tried it last month and it worked fine.

The option to pay premiums online using a credit or debit card at MyMedicare.gov is not listed on your printed invoice and is not very prominent on the website.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:54 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:23 am
ABQ4804 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:57 am
Just curious, but why not pay with CC for rewards, then draw from HSA?
I’ve started doing this as my CC is giving me a 2% kickback. I’ll get $64 back annually.