Wealthfront to offer "Path" for free to the public

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
FIBoston

Wealthfront to offer "Path" for free to the public

Post by FIBoston »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-weal ... SKCN1MX30N

I am excited about this announcement. I've heard really great things about Path but have always been disappointed not to gain access to it because I am unwilling to trust Wealthfront with my money. Currently I use Personal Capital to track my assets and perform checks on my projections. I will be interested to see if this announcement:

1. Cuts into Personal Capital's user count
2. Results in Wealthfront significantly growing their customer base

Personally, I will never use Wealthfront for investing purposes and plan to ignore all of their sales pitches. The portfolios are too complicated and too expensive for my tastes, but I will certainly give Path a whirl once it is released and see if it can replace PC.
backslash2718

Re: Wealthfront to offer "Path" for free to the public

Post by backslash2718 »

As a user of Personal Capital I'm definitely interested in this. Personal Capital doesn't correctly pick up my Vanguard Target Funds in the 401k, so the "investment analysis" is lacking there anyway imo.
Thanks for sharing.
tman9999

Post by tman9999 »

Any updates on this - how Path compares to Personal Capital? I've just started investigating both after taking advantage of WF's 2.51% no-fee savings account offer. Thinking about linking investment portfolios to WF Path to see what it tells me.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

me too on WF
jyoung

Post by jyoung »

I was curious and gave it a try. I think it's basically just a Monte Carlo that uses your linked accounts and a few assumptions, not really anything different from the dozens of simulators out there that you have to manually enter your data into. There didn't seem to be much information about the analysis, so it's a pretty basic tool, but my line graph looked nice. It really doesn't breakdown your investments or anything like PC. I deleted it after I set it up, and I think for now I'll stick with my combo of: Mint, Personal Capital, Excel- and just manually run simulations when I'm curious about something. I didn't see any value in it, but some might like it.
engineerbme

Post by engineerbme »

ive been using it since i signed up with Wealthfront with my personal investment account and honestly i didn't even realize what I was looking at every time I logged in, but it's actually pretty cool; shows me projected retirement money, and how much I'll have to spend per month

i have all my investments and cash accounts linked and never had any issues (identity theft, fraud, etc.)
tman9999

Post by tman9999 »

jyoung wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:30 pm I was curious and gave it a try. I think it's basically just a Monte Carlo that uses your linked accounts and a few assumptions, not really anything different from the dozens of simulators out there that you have to manually enter your data into. There didn't seem to be much information about the analysis, so it's a pretty basic tool, but my line graph looked nice. It really doesn't breakdown your investments or anything like PC. I deleted it after I set it up, and I think for now I'll stick with my combo of: Mint, Personal Capital, Excel- and just manually run simulations when I'm curious about something. I didn't see any value in it, but some might like it.
Thanks - very helpful. That’s what I was wondering - whether it would be worth the effort to connect everything, only to find it doesn’t do anything additive to what I’ve already been doing (I-ORP, RPM, etc).

Thanks. I think I’ll pass on that part. The 2.5% interest is a great parking lot option, though, I think. May give PC a try once I get clearer about what my deeper questions are about decumulation; and what I’m not getting from existing tools.