Retirees: What keeps you up at night?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
tennisplyr

Retirees: What keeps you up at night?

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:05 am

There's no shortage of conversation here about the market tanking, running out of money, returns are too low, etc. Since I'm retired, I was wondering what fellow retirees worry about most....or maybe there are no worries?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

carolinaman

Re: Retirees: What keeps you up at night?

Post by carolinaman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:11 am

We are in good financial shape and are not aggressive in markets, so I do not worry about that. What I sometimes worry about are children and grandchildren. We are blessed they are good kids but that does not mean there aren't things to worry about.

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:40 am

While I don't like equity market plunges my finances are in pretty good shape. I worry about our kids and grand kids. Our kids are married and work hard but it seems much harder to "make it". I wonder what things will be like for my grand kids.
Finally, I worry about our health as we age.

All in all though I sleep well and feel I've been very lucky.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 am

I’m 55. I worry about the future of health insurance for people like me. I can handle pretty much anything that happens to the financial markets. But future court decisions or legislative changes to the ACA, that we aren’t allowed to talk about here, that would affect my ability to pay for healthcare. That keeps me awake at night.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 am

Concerns about health care and children.

The rest is minor by comparison.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:54 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:05 am
There's no shortage of conversation here about the market tanking, running out of money, returns are too low, etc. Since I'm retired, I was wondering what fellow retirees worry about most....or maybe there are no worries?
I don't worry about much financially in retirement; things are in good shape there.

What keeps me up at night is post season baseball. I was at Fenway Park last night and didn't get home until 1 AM. Didn't get to bed till a while later...
Attempted new signature...

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:58 am

I am a night owl, always have been. Retired 14 yrs now.
Other than that besides a pain flare up in my back and leg, I sleep when I get tired like the dead.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:48 am

Only the necessity for nocturnal bathroom visits and the difficulty of returning to sleep once awake. NOT the fact that we’re currently spending $50,000/year on my spouse’s home health aides, 3 years now of such expenses. Still managing well on our (relatively) modest income and assets. At our ages, we’re willing to “spend down” some, but so far we’re more than holding our own.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:59 am

Ged wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 am

Agree except being Canadian I’m simply worried about the health of loved ones, not “health care”. Having successfully gotten through the Great Recession with a hugely overweight equity position (including margin loans and employee options) nothing bothers me from a financial perspective.
Last edited by SQRT on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:08 am

My health. I've had a dozen friends, close relatives, and former colleagues die between the ages of 55 and 67. Does not keep me up at night although I wish I could sleep as well as when I was in my 20's and 30's.

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:09 am

David Jay wrote,
And I remember the discussions about the coming Ice Age when I was in college in the 1970s. Winter '76 was really ugly, walking to class from off-campus housing.
Well, maybe. We must be careful with any kind of estimate based on computer modeling. I’ve read and enjoyed Matt Ridley’s The Rational Optimist, and understand that the track record for gloom and doom predictions concerning environmental change has been abysmal. I look back at the 1970s and the “Limits to Growth” warning (Club of Rome, Lester Brown) and cringe. I dearly hope to be wrong this time around, but the consensus opinion based on the evidence seems to be getting more and more dire.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:17 am

tennisplyr wrote:
I long followed the Investment Policy Statement (IPS) that I developed years ago, which specifies an asset allocation and risk profile that easily allows me to sleep at night and ignore all the talking heads and their daily commentary about the antics of Mr. Market. Combine that with a lifestyle where we always have spent less than we've earned and put the rest into savings and investments.

Nothing other than aching knees that occasionally attempt to keep me up at night.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:28 am

beardsworth wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:20 am
This forum's rules prohibit substantive discussion of this subject, even in its financial implications, so I'll have to stop there. Suffice to say that "what keeps me up at night" is not my current or near-term finances, but the approach of the biggest "macroeconomic" phenomenon of all.
I am thankful that forum rules prevent such discussion.

I regret that folks choose to bring up such discussions knowing that those that disagree really can't respond. It doesn't do anything to add to the conversation at hand and is self serving.

Cheers

Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:43 am

Alcohol, Usually watch TV and have a few drinks before going to bed which can interfere with sleep patterns, The good thing is not having to get up for work in the morning.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:45 am

Wow, not one right answer. I know for a fact that what keeps retirees up at night are the following:

Having to pee Self explanatory

Kids on the lawn Why is there never a 30 something yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN".

Noisy kids Haven't you heard "those dagnabit noisy kids are stopping me from taking my nap".

Rescheduling of Lawrence Welk re-runs from 2:30AM to 3:30AM, requiring a change in VCR programming "How do THEY expect me to do this? I can't read their minds!"

Finding THEY THEY have caused all the issues. But I can't find THEY.

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 am

Silk McCue wrote,
I regret that folks choose to bring up such discussions knowing that those that disagree really can't respond. It doesn't do anything to add to the conversation at hand and is self serving.
A little overreaction? This thread was not titled “What are your hardcore convictions?” The aforementioned topic of concern is not one I discuss with others or make it a point to raise in everyday conversation. And I’m sure not using forum rules to take a few potshots from behind protective cover. And, really, how can you “disagree” with what keeps me up at night? Like the spicy enchilada that I ate way too late into the evening last night, what keeps me up at night should neither comfort nor offend you.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:19 am

cinghiale wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 am
Silk McCue wrote,
A little overreaction? This thread was not titled “What are your hardcore convictions?” The aforementioned topic of concern is not one I discuss with others or make it a point to raise in everyday conversation. And I’m sure not using forum rules to take a few potshots from behind protective cover. And, really, how can you “disagree” with what keeps me up at night? Like the spicy enchilada that I ate way too late into the evening last night, what keeps me up at night should neither comfort nor offend you.
Your idea of an overreaction and mine are quite different. My words were actually quite measured in order to avoid violating another set of forum rules.

I will not respond further.

Cheers

celia

Post by celia » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:22 am

The Wizard wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:54 am
What keeps me up at night is post season baseball. I was at Fenway Park last night and didn't get home until 1 AM. Didn't get to bed till a while later...
I worry that the Dodgers won't win another World Series. They've come close in the last couple attempts but another team keeps stealing the trophy. :D

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 am

tennisplyr wrote:
What keeps me sleeping poorly is that my brain doesn't want to shut off. I can get to sleep with no problem, but then awaken around 2am to ponder the various projects I have going on simultaneously and what to do with them next. The ponderings often continue 'til 5am then I fall asleep again but don't feel rested during the day thereafter. (I tend to go to bed around 9p)

It's a real nuisance.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:37 am

For me, personally, there are no worries. My son and other family members are doing well. When I was younger, and a single female head of household, I was often worried about finances, so it's nice not to have that nagging anxiety anymore.

Like some other posters, I also am concerned about larger issues that are not under my personal control (and which we are not allowed to discuss on this forum).

To make this actionable, I have made decisions to do what I can (e.g., taking steps to reduce my own carbon imprint, joining the League of Women Voters to promote civility and fairness in elections, etc.). I also address the remaining anxiety created by larger issues that are not under my personal control through meditation and prayer.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:53 am

Mitchell777 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:08 am
My health. I've had a dozen friends, close relatives, and former colleagues die between the ages of 55 and 67. Does not keep me up at night although I wish I could sleep as well as when I was in my 20's and 30's.
This. In the last 5 years I lost 3 people near and dear to me. :( :( :(

I lost my husband, a close woman friend of mine [since 7th grade] and a close male friend
[since age 17]. These people were all healthy and died of sudden unexpected illnesses.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:06 pm

I worry about health and aging. My wife and I have no children, and all our relatives have moved far away. At some point, one of us will will be widowed (and possibly also disabled) and it will be a very challenging time. While we are fortunate to be financially set to manage this, it is not going to be pretty for the surviving spouse.

trueblueky

Post by trueblueky » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:21 pm

We have enough. The kids have educations and jobs and the capability to have enough. We have $500,000 each in LTC insurance and good health insurance.

Lengthy Alzheimer care is something I worry about. Probably 25% chance for me given its prevalence on one side of my family. Less likely for DW.

Clumsum

Post by Clumsum » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:23 pm

Having to go to the urinal multiple times.

yohac

Post by yohac » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Worldwide debt. And the fact that no one in power has any interest in doing anything about it.

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:32 pm

The future of Medicare

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:37 pm

skepticalobserver wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:32 pm
The future of Medicare
+1

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:41 pm

The possibility of serious cognitive decline -- especially as an "always single." There is a history of Alzheimer's in my mom's side of the family. One of my projects in the coming months is to pull together information and outline a plan for a future in which I am no longer able to manage my own affairs. (More viscerally: fear of being taken advantage of as someone swoops in to raid my nest egg and leave me vulnerable.)

And broadly, the concern that I will not be leaving this world a better place than when I first appeared on the scene.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:44 pm

Mitchell777 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:08 am
Same w/me, although I usually sleep quite well.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:05 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 am
tennisplyr wrote:
What keeps me sleeping poorly is that my brain doesn't want to shut off. I can get to sleep with no problem, but then awaken around 2am to ponder the various projects I have going on simultaneously and what to do with them next. The ponderings often continue 'til 5am then I fall asleep again but don't feel rested during the day thereafter. (I tend to go to bed around 9p)

It's a real nuisance.
Learning to meditate has certainly HELPED me sleep better. Doesn't totally fix the problem but it really has helped. When I manage to meditate twice each day -for 15-20 min each time -I notice a difference in falling asleep faster and staying asleep longer.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:26 pm

Ged wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 am

Same here.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:34 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:19 am
cinghiale wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 am
Silk McCue wrote,
Your idea of an overreaction and mine are quite different. My words were actually quite measured in order to avoid violating another set of forum rules.

I will not respond further.

Cheers
+1

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:38 pm

Running out of money in retirement is not one of them (20 years and counting) thanks to the Diehards and Bogleheads.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

Abe

Post by Abe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:55 pm

BolderBoy wrote:

It's a real nuisance.
I do this too. I wake up thinking about whatever the current problem is, and it always seems 10 times worse in the middle of the night. One thing that seems to help is to concentrate on relaxing each part of my body starting with my head and shoulders and continuing on down to me feet. By the time I get down to my lower body I am usually back to sleep. I think I read this in a book one time. It sounds crazy, but it works... sometime. I think the reason it works is it forces you to relax and also get your mind off what ever is worrying you. :beer
Slow and steady wins the race.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 pm

My major concerns:
1. Living up to my ambitions and plans
2. Cyber security

These concerns are perpetual and evolving, but they don't disturb my sleep. If I stayed up at night that would have created the 3rd concern.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

vested1

Post by vested1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:00 pm

celia wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:22 am
The Wizard wrote:
I worry that the Dodgers won't win another World Series. They've come close in the last couple attempts but another team keeps stealing the trophy. :D
Being a SF Giants fan, I don't worry about the Dodgers losing the world series. In fact I relish the idea. :wink:

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Taking care of family and friends who can't take care of themselves.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:29 pm

I'll be 71 n December and retired near 7 years now, 4/2012 being the launch date. Younger wife retired a year before me. I follow my role models... my parents retired at 62, something I couldn't do. They put me through college for cash, traveled some, and enjoyed their life until Alzheimer's and deteriorating health robbed that from them as 90's approached.

I'm one of the lucky guys who has a solid state cola'd pension from a well funded (top 10) state. We have kept our day to day living costs low enough that my pension and SS pays all the bills and the portfolio pays for travel and luxuries. I understand mobility for the enjoyment of life and travel has it's limits so at this time a few years of a 5% - 6% WR to float a half dozen luxury cruises a year means nothing. What keeps me up at night is a (hopefully) remote possibility my wife might get sick or injured and pass before me. That's it... just her staying healthy as the rest just doesn't matter.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:34 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:45 am
Wow, not one right answer. I know for a fact that what keeps retirees up at night are the following:

Ahhhh... come on Rick....

Having to pee Self explanatory Just do diapers to bed.. :D

Kids on the lawn Why is there never a 30 something yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN". It's just grass guy, maybe less coffee in the morning?

Noisy kids Haven't you heard "those dagnabit noisy kids are stopping me from taking my nap". I think all the noisy kids at the pool on weekends are great. New life dude, just what we aren't.

Rescheduling of Lawrence Welk re-runs from 2:30AM to 3:30AM, requiring a change in VCR programming "How do THEY expect me to do this? I can't read their minds!" Isn't a welk something you get with a bruise?

Finding THEY THEY have caused all the issues. But I can't find THEY. OK, you got one.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:36 pm

99.9 of what people worry about
Never happens.
You have no control over it?
Let it go
Worry robs you of your precious time
I sleep like a baby :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:40 pm

vested1 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:00 pm
celia wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
Being a SF Giants fan, I don't worry about the Dodgers losing the world series. In fact I relish the idea. :wink:
I'm ok with that too...
Attempted new signature...

yosh99

Post by yosh99 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:56 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:

It's a real nuisance.
I believe this to be a very common sleep pattern. It has been mine for 25 years.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:04 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:40 pm
vested1 wrote:
celia wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
I'm ok with that too...
Red Sox fan here.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:15 pm

I am the oldest sibling of five. My father died in 2014 and I am now realizing that I have come to replace him as a mentor in all of their eyes. This year all four have come to me with major issues that they needed assistance with. I have suffered more than a few nights of insomnia over these problems and I believe my Old Man is having quite a laugh up there watching this scenario.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

celia

Post by celia » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Ged wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:04 pm
The Wizard wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:40 pm
vested1 wrote:
celia wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
I'm ok with that too...

Red Sox fan here.
You guys can have all the the relish you want, but you'll never get our Dodger Dogs! 8-)

sandburg

Post by sandburg » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:01 pm

The fate of Medicare and Social Security.

Post by 2015 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:04 am

My latest project. I seem to be forever working on something. My greatest insights flow in just as I'm drifting off to sleep so naturally I have to drag myself up to write them down lest they be lost. A few hours of doing this makes for poor sleep (but great productivity!).

SGM

Post by SGM » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:49 am

I don't worry about what I cannot change. Finances are in order and I keep active.

Having grown up in New York I cannot root for the Dodgers who abandoned their fans.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:12 am

yosh99 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:56 pm
BolderBoy wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:

It's a real nuisance.
I believe this to be a very common sleep pattern. It has been mine for 25 years.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bi-modal+slee ... pad&ia=web

bltn

Post by bltn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:04 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:28 am
beardsworth wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:20 am
This forum's rules prohibit substantive discussion of this subject, even in its financial implications, so I'll have to stop there. Suffice to say that "what keeps me up at night" is not my current or near-term finances, but the approach of the biggest "macroeconomic" phenomenon of all.
I am thankful that forum rules prevent such discussion.

Cheers
Good observation.
My biggest concern in the possible near term is the increase in the national federal deficit. I dont believe that kind of economics is sustainable nationally anymore than it would be sustainable personally.
Personally we re ok. But we always ran a “surplus” !!