DRG remark on TransUnion credit report

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Leonid99

DRG remark on TransUnion credit report

Post by Leonid99 »

I have just discovered that there is a DRG remark on my TransUnion credit report, from a while ago (02/2017). The credit card in question was always paid on time, I have never carried balance on it. The credit report is otherwise correct -- the month is marked as paid on time, the balance is correct, etc. The remark appears only on my TransUnion report, Equifax and Experian are fine. I called the issuer and they are not sure what this is about.
Now, it sounds like an obvious mistake on TransUnion behalf which should be removed with a dispute. But when I started filling out the dispute form on their website, I noticed an interesting thing. First, only there it shows the reason for the remark -- it's, I quote: "DISP INVG COMP-RPT BY GRNTR". According to Google, "DISP INVG COMP" means "dispute investigation complete" and I'm not sure about "RPT BY GRNTR" (reported by guarantor? grantor?). I do recall that there was a double charge on this credit card roughly at this time that I had them revert.
Another interesting thing on the dispute form is that it says "Any remark containing brackets > < indicates that this remark is considered adverse". I assumed that DRG means "derogatory". Could a remark be derogatory but not adverse? What does it even mean? Could this remark be harmless? Or even valid? Bottom line, should I dispute this remark?
EDIT: I tried calling TransUnion with these questions, they are just not helpful. The rep told me that she assures me that there is no remark on my credit file. There is a report that I pulled two days ago in my hand and it's right there.
EDIT2: Filled out the online dispute form. It fails with "Our records show that the information you disputed does not currently appear on your TransUnion credit report." and yet it's right there, on the same web page. Aargh.
jacksonm

Re: DRG remark on TransUnion credit report

Post by jacksonm »

Have you noticed it affecting your credit score at all? That would be an indicator to me whether or not there was any real derogatory information associated with the remark.

I once wrote credit scoring software for a living and all remarks were simply ignored.

I don't have much experience on the credit-granting side of things but I suspect it is somewhat rare nowadays for a human being to even eyeball a credit report.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

jacksonm wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:37 am Have you noticed it affecting your credit score at all? That would be an indicator to me whether or not there was any real derogatory information associated with the remark.

I once wrote credit scoring software for a living and all remarks were simply ignored.

I don't have much experience on the credit-granting side of things but I suspect it is somewhat rare nowadays for a human being to even eyeball a credit report.
This depends on what the report is used for. Your credit score is an estimate of the probability you will default on a new credit obligation. If the report is being used for another purpose, such as a background check by an employer, someone will need to look at the report, not just the score. Lenders who do not have their own models may also need to look at the report in more detail; a landlord cares more about unpaid rent than about unpaid credit cards in collections. And for a large loan such as a mortgage, it is more likely that the lender will actually look at the report in more detail.
Wiki David Grabiner
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

If our investigation has not resolved your dispute, you may add a 100-word statement to your report. If you provide a consumer statement that contains medical information related to service providers or medical procedures, then you expressly consent to TransUnion including this information in every credit report we issue about you. If you wish to obtain documentation or written verification concerning your accounts, please contact your creditors directly. You may also request a description of how we conducted the investigation or file a complaint about TransUnion or the business reporting the disputed information with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau or your State’s Attorney General’s office.
https://www.transunion.com/credit-dispu ... our-credit