Disability Benefits Consultants

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
fiseek77

Disability Benefits Consultants

Post by fiseek77 »

Long time lurker. I want to get the wisdom of the fellow bogleheads who might have a similar situation.

I have an autistic child who is 17 years now. I want to be prepared for what comes next. I want to avail the disability benefits for my child once he turns 18. I have done some research on my own but want to get services of a benefits consultant (if one exists) so that I get a full understanding of federal and state benefits.

THis will also help if have to make a decision to relocate to a different state. I don't think I need an attorney as there is nothing to file a case for.
I want a person who can navigate the federal and state benefits understand the language and can let me know what we are eligible for.

What is the best way to find such a consultant or a website where I can get more information?
Topic Author
fiseek77

Re: Disability Benefits Consultants

Post by fiseek77 »

Any suggestions?
dm200

Post by dm200 »

fiseek77 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:11 pm Long time lurker. I want to get the wisdom of the fellow bogleheads who might have a similar situation.
I have an autistic child who is 17 years now. I want to be prepared for what comes next. I want to avail the disability benefits for my child once he turns 18. I have done some research on my own but want to get services of a benefits consultant (if one exists) so that I get a full understanding of federal and state benefits.

THis will also help if have to make a decision to relocate to a different state. I don't think I need an attorney as there is nothing to file a case for.
I want a person who can navigate the federal and state benefits understand the language and can let me know what we are eligible for.

What is the best way to find such a consultant or a website where I can get more information?
yes - such benefits may vary by state and local jurisdiction

Post by 123 »

If the child will be eligible for federal social security benefits as a disabled adult child (child disabled before age 22) based on the earnings of a parent those benefits will be exactly the same in all states.

The Social Security Administration operates a separate needs-based disability program called Supplemental Security Income (SSI) which has different payment levels in different states. While it uses the same general income and asset qualification rules there are some differences in some states (such as ABLE accounts).

The best source of information about either program would be your local Social Security office since they ultimately process claims and pay benefits. There are some state and local "Disability Rights" organizations that may also be helpful.

I would be wary of any commercial "Disability Benefits Consultant" who professes knowledge of program requirements and operations in different states. These are not new or secret programs. Everything a "Consultant" may be able to tell you is the same thing you may readily find out for yourself on the internet.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Sometimes local social workers know about programs for which individuals may be qualified for.

Dependents on parents' health insurance may have relevance as well
terran

Post by terran »

The people at your local Arc chapter may be able to help you with local resources: https://www.thearc.org/
VegasBH

Post by VegasBH »

Below is a post i wrote to a simular question but i think much of it applys to your situation. I also wouldn’t discount hiring a lawyer. Even though you may have a slam dunk case in regards to SSI I have seen people have issues in obtaining these benefits. If you can find the right person they may be able to help you decide on guardianship vs conservatership vs power of attorney. You may need help navigating ABLE accounts and special needs trusts. Their is also a chance ( perhaps very strong chance) that your son or daughter will outlive you so it’s important to think about what housing and life transition will look like.

“I work in disability services at the university level so a different population then your son. But I am familiar with some of the supports. I would check with your local chapter of autism speaks your local arc the local Center for Independent living . Is there a parent group in your area with other parents that are trying to do the same things you are? A lot of the really innovative things that are being done are highly localized so it’s hard to say without knowing where you live. Have you considered trying to find a supported living arrangement or group home at this point? if you’re going to end up needing that once both of you pass away it’s probably good to start looking at things now and make the transition while you’re there to oversee it and make sure that it’s a good fit. I’m admittedly not an expert in these areas but if you ask specific questions I will reach out to my friends that work with individuals with intellectual disabilities for advice.”

Hope this is helpful.
Topic Author
fiseek77

Post by fiseek77 »

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. Much appreciated.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

This is a firm in my local area which helps people apply for disability benefits. I have never worked with them, and can't give a personal recommendation. However, they have been in business for 30+ years, and according to their website have assisted 300,000+ individuals get approved for SSDI benefits.

https://www.allsup.com/
Topic Author
fiseek77

Post by fiseek77 »

Artful Dodger wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:36 am This is a firm in my local area which helps people apply for disability benefits. I have never worked with them, and can't give a personal recommendation. However, they have been in business for 30+ years, and according to their website have assisted 300,000+ individuals get approved for SSDI benefits.

https://www.allsup.com/
This is fantastic. This is exactly the type of firm I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!