Health care prices in Wisconsin

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ram

Health care prices in Wisconsin

Post by ram » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:48 pm

Some readers may find the prices of common procedures done at a hospital in Wisconsin of some use. (I have no financial interest)
Added: The table shows amounts that the hospital charges/gets. (not what a physician gets)
http://www.wipricepoint.org/top75.aspx?id=11076
Last edited by ram on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ram

Mintee

Re: Health care prices in Wisconsin

Post by Mintee » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:58 pm

This certainly demonstrates why so many physicians refuse to take Medicare patients unless they've been seeing them for years (and, in some cases, even that's not enough). You may not have the same problems in Wisconsin that we have in Texas, due to population age, but it's a real issue here in this metropolitan area.

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:16 pm

This information has little to do with physician charges. The information really has little value. C-Section in a Medicare patient? $6k+ ?? I am sure there are very few disabled child-bearing women on Medicare. Maybe Medicaid.

"Asthma" $4K. What is that?

A cataract reimburses less than $800.00 for Medicare physician charges.

Physician charges are a small fraction of these charges.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:56 am

These are DRG codes which means these are hospital facility fees, not physician charges. However, the ratio comparison of private insurance to Medicare is probably accurate. This list says Medicare pays $12,000 for a knee replacement. The physicians payment by Medicare for knee replacement (CPT 27445) is $1200. In general, physicians fees are less than 10% of total medical fees. The original post did not claim all this money was meant for physicians, but it's amazing how many believe the physicians get most of the money, which is why I post this.

ram

Post by ram » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:07 pm

ram wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:48 pm
Some readers may find the prices of common procedures done at a hospital in Wisconsin of some use. (I have no financial interest)
Added: The amount shown is what a 'hospital' charges/gets (not what a physician gets)
http://www.wipricepoint.org/top75.aspx?id=11076
Ram