Property Tax - Deliquency date

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
FB01

Property Tax - Deliquency date

Post by FB01 »

Hi,

I got my property tax bill. It says Due date Nov 1st and Deliquent after Dec 10th.

Does that mean that I can pay the amount anytime before Dec 10th and I will not be charged any penalty or I need to pay the amount before Nov 1st to not charge any penalty?

Not sure what does Deliquency date mean.

Thanks,
JR
Thanks, | FB
jlyonmn

Re: Property Tax - Deliquency date

Post by jlyonmn »

This just means that they need to have the payment by December 10th. They will assess penalties and/or interest after that date.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (taxes).

jlyonmn, Welcome!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

sounds like CA........if it is, I have routinely mailed it in first wk in Dec for decades and no problems.
I think the fine print says they even do it using the postmark date like the Feds do for income tax..........but I've
read that not all mail gets postmarked so it might be a bit risky to really push the deadline w/ postmark.
denovo

Post by denovo »

FB01 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:54 pm Hi,

I got my property tax bill. It says Due date Nov 1st and Deliquent after Dec 10th.

Does that mean that I can pay the amount anytime before Dec 10th and I will not be charged any penalty.....
yes
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I'd pay by Nov 1. That way if there is a problem in the future they look at your record and give you a pass.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
CAsage

Post by CAsage »

You are penalty free until December 10, 2018. Give yourself a little grace period; I plan to try the online payment system to directly debit my checking account around 12/1/2018.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
basspond

Post by basspond »

That is the payment deadline to avoid any penalty or interest fees.

On a side note I feel for citizens of states that don’t have a deadline in late January that would give their customers an opportunity to pay taxes in either year.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I see this as a slightly underhanded way for the state to earn a little interest on these property tax payments. The 2nd payment is "due" on Feb 1 but delinquent after April 10. That's kind of ridiculous.
camillus

Post by camillus »

Delaying payment until January would allow you to pay two years' property tax in one year for purposes of clumping itemized deductions.
51% US / 34% ex-US / 15% “bond”
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

kaneohe wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:32 pm sounds like CA........if it is, I have routinely mailed it in first wk in Dec for decades and no problems.
I think the fine print says they even do it using the postmark date like the Feds do for income tax..........but I've
read that not all mail gets postmarked so it might be a bit risky to really push the deadline w/ postmark.
Our property tax payments also has two dates: a due date and a penalty date.

I pay online two days before the penalty date. I prefer online payments because I receive an instant acknowledgement with date and time stamp.

I do it a couple of days early because the online payment system was down once and it was not a pleasant experience.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Ours comes the first of October and is delinquent in February which gives time to pay prior year taxes or double up in a given year.

Tim