Social Security Restricted Application

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Frisco Kid

Social Security Restricted Application

Post by Frisco Kid » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:09 am

DW was born prior to 1/1/1954. Is she eligible to file a restricted application on my benefit after/if I claim at FRA in 1/2020? She then would take her full benefit at age 70 which is larger than mine. Is it correct that she would receive 1/2 my benefit until she files for her full benefit in 2023?

Austintatious

Re: Social Security Restricted Application

Post by Austintatious » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 am

She would be eligible for the so called "restricted application" strategy for spousal benefit if she was born on or before 1/1/54. Her benefit would be one half of your primary insurance amount (PIA), assuming that she files after reaching her own full retirement age (FRA). Your PIA is what your own benefit would be at your full retirement age. Assuming that she files after having reached her own FRA, she'd receive half of your PIA, whether you are receiving less or more than your PIA. I'm reasonably confident in my answer but there others here whose conclusions will definitely be more informed than mine.
Last edited by Austintatious on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Austintatious wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 am
She would be eligible for the so called "restricted application" strategy for spousal benefit if she was born on or before 1/1/54. Her benefit would be one half of your primary insurance amount (PIA), assuming that she files after reaching her own full retirement age (FRA). Your PIA is what your own benefit would be at your full retirement age. Assuming that she files after having reached her own FRA, she'd receive half of your PIA, whether you are receiving less or more than you PIA. I'm reasonably confident in my answer but there others here whose conclusions will definitely be more informed than mine.
:thumbsup :thumbsup
Mike Piper, author/blogger

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:34 pm

ObliviousInvestor wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:49 pm
Austintatious wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 am
She would be eligible for the so called "restricted application" strategy for spousal benefit if she was born on or before 1/1/54. Her benefit would be one half of your primary insurance amount (PIA), assuming that she files after reaching her own full retirement age (FRA). Your PIA is what your own benefit would be at your full retirement age. Assuming that she files after having reached her own FRA, she'd receive half of your PIA, whether you are receiving less or more than you PIA. I'm reasonably confident in my answer but there others here whose conclusions will definitely be more informed than mine.
:thumbsup :thumbsup
Thumbs up from Mike Piper is just the reassurance you and I need, OP. Thanks for dropping by, Mike!