Did you retire because you hit your number?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Ron Scott

Did you retire because you hit your number?

Post by Ron Scott » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:48 am

I retired for reasons having nothing to do with money. I went at 61 because a reorganization would have left me with a larger job I could not commit to or get excited about. I could have retired, from a financial perspective, in my early 50s, but then I would have missed my most significant achievements in a career I enjoyed as the company I believed in was soaring.

As a business leader I tried to give people jobs they liked because I know one of the worst things in life is having to work at a job you don’t enjoy.
Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. The solution is not to predict investment losses but to prepare for them.

midareff

Re: Did you retire because you hit your number?

Post by midareff » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 am

Combination of reasons... in no particular order. Political changes had made it impossible to make further achievements towards goals. Goals had been largely achieved. Number had been reached. When your eyes turn brown they have filled you up and it's time to go. I was 64 and April Fool's Day 2012 seemed like a lovely day.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 am

Yes and no...I hit my number years earlier, but I love my job and like making money.
Than I realized life is short I want to live a little and more money can't buy me more time.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:33 am

Besides the financial matters, retiring most likely means a one-way street unless you are "retiring" real early. It is especially true in the "hard" field such as science or engineering. Didn't the thought of leaving behind what more or less defined you for most of your adult life scare you? "Scare" might be a wrong word, but ...

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:36 am

My number has always been a moving target. The longer I worked the less money I needed. I had hoped to retire at a slightly higher effective net pay than I made while working.
This is not going to work out. I'm tired of working. My wife retired this year. I'll retire next year. We'll have about the same money as we had while working. This is good enough. I decided to exchange a little more money for a little more time.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:52 am

I retired at age 66. It was time. My health was still good and I had a bucket list of things to do while I could. Also, I was senior executive for large IT organization. We had gone through a lot of change in the past few years (reorganization, consolidations, etc.) and were now in excellent position. I wanted to leave on a high note. In IT that does last forever.

I had planned to retire in 2008 at age 64, but great recession hit. The extra 2 years enabled me to add to my pension and SS as well as somewhat recover from market losses.

Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:55 am

Strange thing is that, while I really liked my work and found it very rewarding I do not miss it. I miss some of the people but not the job per se. Now it’s just my past career than I’m proud of. I moved on right away.

I did not expect to feel this way.
Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. The solution is not to predict investment losses but to prepare for them.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:56 am

Two reasons:

1. I hit my number.
2. My work BS bucket hit the overflow mark.

That was at age 59. Today, eleven years later at age 70, I have to say it is probably was one of the best decisions I had made in my life.

- Ron

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:01 am

I retired last year.

I enjoyed what I did, but came to the realization that every day that goes by is one less day left.

I didn't want to be sorry for not living life.

Everyone has a different reason, but I just felt "it was time".

Don

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:03 am

I quit because the expectation was raised to 24x7x365.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:05 am

No.
I enjoy my work and scaled back the parts I did not like.
"If it's not fun, why do it?" has become my mantra at work.
It is more of a hobby now, stimulating but with hours that are conducive to my lifestyle.
Once the kids leave the nest in a decade, I will reevaluate.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:11 am

I retired because my career wasn’t fun anymore. I have to admit that this happened once I had reached FI. I reached FI suddenly with little actual planning or methodical saving. One day I was worth almost nothing and in a few years was wealthy beyond any reasonable expectation. Didn’t really have a specific “number” although if I did, I would have blown through it pretty quickly. At that point it took 3 years to arrange for retirement at 56, 12 years ago. Very lucky.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:18 am

I hit my number 2 years earlier than I retired. I retired due to DW health concerns and made the right choice. She is in remission and we are enjoying traveling and daily life.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:23 am

Never really had a "number" in mind.
Retired earlier this year, based on life events, probably a few years after we had what i would consider "enough", but probably way earlier than many on this board would consider prudent. We are enjoying it very much so far.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

J295

Post by J295 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 am

Planned from the start to retire early, and did. My profession was only one small part of me.

Post by 2015 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:00 am

midareff wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 am
Combination of reasons... in no particular order. Political changes had made it impossible to make further achievements towards goals. Goals had been largely achieved. Number had been reached. When your eyes turn brown they have filled you up and it's time to go. I was 64 and April Fool's Day 2012 seemed like a lovely day.
This exactly.
Now every day is a lovely day.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:05 am

The short answer is "yes." The pieces of my early retirement puzzle were rapidly coming together in 2008. Hitting my money "number" was not quite the last piece but it was very nearly so. The last piece fell into place within the next 3 months, so I was able to give my notice and left a month later. I was 45 at the time.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:09 am

Convergence of the following:
1. Health
2. Burn out
3. Long past making "a number"
4. Business changes
5. Intuition

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:11 am

Never had a formal number but I knew from a napkin calculation that my expected income (ssa, pension) vs. Expected expenses was close enough I did not have to worry.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:12 am

2015 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:00 am
midareff wrote:
This exactly.
Of course you know the meaning of Saturday to a retired person? It means six Sundays in a row are right behind.

jacksonm

Post by jacksonm » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:13 am

No I did not. I was planning on working one more year to achieve that goal when they laid me off.

I did hit it at exactly the same time as my severance pay stopped however, so everything worked out in the end.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:13 am

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:33 am
Besides the financial matters, retiring most likely means a one-way street unless you are "retiring" real early. It is especially true in the "hard" field such as science or engineering. Didn't the thought of leaving behind what more or less defined you for most of your adult life scare you? "Scare" might be a wrong word, but ...
This really struck a chord. Perhaps this is why I am still chained in.

Post by 2015 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:31 am

midareff wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:12 am
2015 wrote:
midareff wrote:
This exactly.
Of course you know the meaning of Saturday to a retired person? It means six Sundays in a row are right behind.
To me Saturday means people are out crowding the stores and the restaurants! You know you're retired when you're annoyed by holidays because things are closed and you can't get done what you wanted to.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:33 am

Yes. I had disliked my job for a number of years, but I couldn't find one a better one in terms of hours, benefits and pay, so I sucked it up until I hit my number.

jpdion

Post by jpdion » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:50 am

I had not planned to retire until I hit FRA to maximize my pension/SS income. Providence intervened when neighbors asked us if we might join them in a move to Florida when I was 62 (four years ago). I laughed, but my wife asked me "Can we?" I laughed again, but started running retirement calculators like crazy pentangulating results. Numbers worked, I just wasn't feeling it at work and the hour+ commute each way was killing us. So, we pulled the trigger (I retired) and moved. DW was able to work full time from home for a year and half, and part time for while after. It was a smooth transition, and we are now both fully retired and enjoying it. So, part "the number" and mostly personal context.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 am

No.

I technically hit my number sometime last year, but I have some serious golden handcuffs that will keep me working at least another couple years. Two or three extra years could potentially double my assets, which would allow for some fun extravagances over a long retirement.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:18 am

My "number" has always been a little be vague since it varied from being enough for a frugal lifestyle to probably enough to live like I wanted to certainly enough to live like I wanted and then some.

One of the key things in timing my retirement was that it was a month after my wife reached 63.5 and could use 18 months of COBRA to get to Medicare. This meant that she would not have to change doctors for an Affordable Care Act policy and that was important for her. There would also be no risk of ACA changes causing problems for her.

It is easy to forget but prior to the ACA even if you had ample funds few people would voluntarily retire early because it was so difficult or impossible for someone in their late 50's or 60's to get health insurance.

I suspect that part of the current low unemployment numbers is because there are a lot of people who are voluntarily out of the job market because they can get health insurance that is not tied to them working full time.
Last edited by Watty on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:09 am

I was planning to retire when I would hit the "number" that would qualify me for healthcare in retirement. I have postponed my retirement by 1.5 years because when I hit my healthcare eligibility number I was finishing up my (second) Masters Degree and wanted to write a thesis on the topic I was passionate about, Behavioral Economics of Cyberspace Operations. Just as I had received my degree, my agency has announced a volunteer retirement offer, and I delayed my retirement by a few more months.

I was very fortunate. Note that my "numbers" were not related to my assets but to securing healthcare and following my passions. Health and happiness trump extra commas.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:12 am

I was shy of my number by a bit. But I was ready to retire for good. Fortunately, I had already retired from a previous career which gave me a nice pension, so being short of my number wasn't as big a deal as it might sound. I subsequently determined that I had been too conservative in estimating my number and I could probably have retired several years earlier. :oops:
Friar1610

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:36 am

We decided to retire so we could choose to do with our time what we wanted and,,,
While we still had enough life energy to climb "every mountain" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 am

It was a combination of things, but part of it was realizing that I'd hit my number & could afford to retire.

Other contributing factors:
  • I wasn't enjoying my job anymore.
  • My employer had stopped making contributions to the defined contribution pension plan (replaced with contributions to 401K instead, but about half as much), so staying on the job would have very little effect on my pension.
  • Conversations with older relatives about how they were not able to do the things they used to, and thinking about how that could be me in a couple decades.
Last edited by Gryphon on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:52 am

After I hit my number, I did not retire, but I started to live like I am in my retirement life.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:57 pm

2015 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:31 am
midareff wrote:
2015 wrote:
midareff wrote:
This exactly.
To me Saturday means people are out crowding the stores and the restaurants! You know you're retired when you're annoyed by holidays because things are closed and you can't get done what you wanted to.
LOL... so true, and we never go shopping on a weekend.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:39 pm

midareff wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:57 pm
2015 wrote:
midareff wrote:
2015 wrote:
midareff wrote:
This exactly.
I mostly agree. One exception is my comedy classes. DC Improv offers two types of class schedules: at night after 7PM and on weekends at 11AM or 2-3PM. I prefer to take weekend classes, because everybody has caught up with sleep, and these classes are usually followed by group lunches.

A more general advantage of weekends is that you have a chance to socialize with normal people rather than retirees.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:49 pm

I didn’t have a number. I hated my job and couldn’t stomach finding another job. I had a list of things I wanted to do that working was keeping me from doing, and I had enough to do those things. So I quit and started doing them.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Watty wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:18 am
It is easy to forget but prior to the ACA even if you had ample funds few people would voluntarily retire early because it was so difficult or impossible for someone in their late 50's or 60's to get health insurance.
VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:09 am
I was planning to retire when I would hit the "number" that would qualify me for healthcare in retirement.
The college where my wife and I both worked has an "early retirement" plan for which eligibility is age 63. One of its main benefits is staying on the college's health insurance until Medicare age. This was a key factor in both of our retirements, which were set in motion before the ACA was passed.

During our careers we lived a modest lifestyle, saved a large part of our paychecks, and received a couple of inheritances. However, we mostly enjoyed our work enough that we had no notion of working towards a "retirement number." But then, as they say, "stuff" happened.

Stress caught up with my wife and she decided to retire when she became eligible for the "early retirement" plan. We looked at our finances and decided, yeah, we would do OK on my salary alone, so she didn't even have to apply for Social Security yet.

Then my faculty position was eliminated (along with several others) in a major cutback due to the college's financial crisis after the Great Recession. They offered me a much lower-paying non-faculty position for a few years until I became eligible for the "early retirement" plan, to keep my health insurance going. After reviewing our finances again, we decided we had in effect reached our "number", so I took the offer and didn't try to look for a faculty position elsewhere, which probably would have had little chance of success anyway.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Post by 2015 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:39 pm
midareff wrote:
2015 wrote:
midareff wrote:
2015 wrote:

I mostly agree. One exception is my comedy classes. DC Improv offers two types of class schedules: at night after 7PM and on weekends at 11AM or 2-3PM. I prefer to take weekend classes, because everybody has caught up with sleep, and these classes are usually followed by group lunches.

A more general advantage of weekends is that you have a chance to socialize with normal people rather than retirees.

Victoria
Some of us weren't normal even before we retired!

Chaconne

Post by Chaconne » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:20 pm

I never earned what you'd call a lot of money. But I always pointed to a certain number ($X) that I hoped against hope I could achieve by FRA to afford a moderate lifestyle in retirement.

Today I'm one year over FRA, and thanks to frugality, rigorous saving and—most important—the gods of the stock market, I've turned around to find that I have $X plus 29 percent. So I'm about to Walk Out That Door!

wander

Post by wander » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:28 pm

My number is the age when I want to retire.

walterbird

Post by walterbird » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:32 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:52 am
After I hit my number, I did not retire, but I started to live like I am in my retirement life.
So funny, that's what I am doing too. My stress went way down.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:42 pm

My number was not a dollar figure but a year: 21+1. Or the number 3. I planned to retire one year after my third sabbatical, which the company granted after seven years of work. The plan had long been to use the third sabbatical to "practice being retired." (The previous two had been two-month, round-the-country drives.) Then I would return to work for most of the next year and retire a year later, shortly before 67th birthday.

But fate intervened and I was offered an early retirement package just as I was about to start the sabbatical. So I took the sabbatical and returned for one day. Cake. Ice cream. Hand in badge and laptop. Never looked back.

If I'd run the numbers I would have seen that I could have afforded to retire several years earlier, but I was intent on getting that third sabbatical. And I was enjoying my job.

EDIT: BTW Today my first SS payment landed in my checking account!!!

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:43 pm

midareff wrote:
2015 wrote:
midareff wrote:
2015 wrote:
midareff wrote:
This exactly.
I work from home (not retired yet).

I've found that in a normal community with a lot of worker bees, it is very convenient to go shopping or to the movies in the middle of the week during the workday. I only really run into a few stay at home parents and retirees.

OTOH when we lived in communities that were very heavy with retirees, middle of the day during the week was the busiest time to do anything and I found it much more relaxed and deserted to go shopping or to the movies in the evenings.

Just my fun little anecdote I wanted to share.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:03 pm

I asked for a review from Bogleheads ( 2 years ago) and it seemed like I could retire if desired. Kept working. Last year an early retirement package was offered. I took it and retired with good severance. I wasn’t happy with work, was physically tired and when the package was offered, it seemed like I should take it.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:44 pm

Hitting my number was only one of many factors.

I retired a year and a half after qualifying for an unreduced pension and that was about two years after hitting my number.

The biggest factor for me was not financial, rather personal and emotional. My father died at age 70.5 six months after he retired. He never really got to enjoy retirement. My plan was to retire young enough and healthy enough so that I would not suffer the same fate.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:50 pm

When I hit the Mega Million lottery, I will retire. Guaranteed :)
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Peter Foley wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:44 pm
Hitting my number was only one of many factors.

I retired a year and a half after qualifying for an unreduced pension and that was about two years after hitting my number.

The biggest factor for me was not financial, rather personal and emotional. My father died at age 70.5 six months after he retired. He never really got to enjoy retirement. My plan was to retire young enough and healthy enough so that I would not suffer the same fate.
Upvote x100!
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:03 pm
I asked for a review from Bogleheads ( 2 years ago) and it seemed like I could retire if desired. Kept working. Last year an early retirement package was offered. I took it and retired with good severance. I wasn’t happy with work, was physically tired and when the package was offered, it seemed like I should take it.
Awesome.
Congrats.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:44 am

Ron Scott wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:55 am
Strange thing is that, while I really liked my work and found it very rewarding I do not miss it. I miss some of the people but not the job per se. Now it’s just my past career than I’m proud of. I moved on right away.

I did not expect to feel this way.
Same exact thing for me.

WRT your original question, I semi-retired at 44. Stayed on with my employer on a part-time basis. Thought it would last maybe a year, but it actually went on for 9 years. Ultimately retired a year after my employer was acquired by a much larger company and all senior corp executives were eventually exited from the company. Had that not happened, it is possible I would still be there (although unlikely). Of course, this would have been well beyond the date of reaching FI.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:18 am

I blew well past my number. Just couldn't stand to retire until the whizbang project I'd so enjoyed finally came to fruition.

It was a happy retirement day. :D
JW
Retired at Last

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:25 am

No, because my company didn't hit their number :oops: But got a nice severance and avoided a toxic work environment as the company outsourced the work shortly after. The bad news was it was in 2008 the good news is that I already hit my number -- but then watched that number take a large dive later that year. Survived and eventually prospered which was more fortunate than many others.