Car accident, claim process

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
PinotGris

Car accident, claim process

Post by PinotGris » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:26 pm

My 5 month old card was in an accident. As I turned left onto another road a car from the left hit me and damaged the right front fender. No injury, at least to me. The other driver seemed fine as well. I was in shock and did not even check damage to her car. The police came and gave me a warning. He said she had the right of way. It was 20 mph road.
I live in MA.
I have contacted my insurance company - Electric Insurance. It is a bit frustrating. It has been 2 weeks and , after the initial appraisal, which took a lot of phone calls, the adjuster has only on Friday looked at the appraisal the body shop has done, with more work needing to be done. The company has already cut a check for the body shop, and we have to pay the deductible of $500. $ 5000 for the total repair. They have not even started on the repair yet.

Insurance company informed us we have no rental coverage, which we were not aware of all these years, for over 35 years. So we are paying for a rental but plan to return it tomorrow and manage with one. We are both retired but we have always had 2 cars.
I don't know when I will be able drive my car again.
Is this the normal amount of time that it takes or does my insurance company just sucks?
I have read the other threads and have a few questions. Do I need to get a police report? I had to file a crash report to the police and I think one to the RMV. A copy to the insurance company.
Should I claim depreciation amount ? How do I do that?
Will my rate go up if I do?
My insurance company has now sent my another form to fill, with all blanks but it says my car has been declared dangerous to drive????? I don't even know what this means and need to call them tomorrow .
What about Carmax knowing I had an accident? What do I need to know about that? We have always driven our cars a long time and gave them to our kids, like the car the new one replaced we gave to our son. do I need to worry about Carmax?
Is there anything else I need to do or know to safeguard my interest?

Thank you.

bloom2708

Re: Car accident, claim process

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 am

Nothing moves fast with car repairs.

What is the value of your car? $5,000 in repairs means it was a pretty good thump and hit multiple areas, fenders, doors, etc.

Will the car have a "salvaged title" (whatever your state calls it) after the repair? If $5k is not 50%+ of your vehicle value, it will likely be fixed without a change to the title status.

If a good shop repairs, it should be fine to keep driving.

Since you were at fault, your insurance could go up. Some companies have a "grace" accident. If you get another you could lose a discount and your rates could go up. Best to ask Electric Insurance. Depending on the age, you likely can't get a depreciation claim.

Your insurance will also pay for other drivers car. You shouldn't have to deal with any of that.

Accidents are never fun. Expect it to be slow. Rent a car if you need one. It sounds like there is enough damage you should not be driving your wrecked car even if it drives ok.

Sorry for the mess. It happens. It will be in the rear view mirror in a few weeks.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

Rupert

Re: Car accident, claim process

Post by Rupert » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 am

PinotGris wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Insurance company informed us we have no rental coverage, which we were not aware of all these years, for over 35 years. So we are paying for a rental but plan to return it tomorrow and manage with one. We are both retired but we have always had 2 cars.
I don't know when I will be able drive my car again.
Is this the normal amount of time that it takes or does my insurance company just sucks?
I have read the other threads and have a few questions. Do I need to get a police report? I had to file a crash report to the police and I think one to the RMV. A copy to the insurance company.
Should I claim depreciation amount ? How do I do that?
Will my rate go up if I do?
My insurance company has now sent my another form to fill, with all blanks but it says my car has been declared dangerous to drive????? I don't even know what this means and need to call them tomorrow .
What about Carmax knowing I had an accident? What do I need to know about that? We have always driven our cars a long time and gave them to our kids, like the car the new one replaced we gave to our son. do I need to worry about Carmax?
Is there anything else I need to do or know to safeguard my interest?

Thank you.
So you caused the accident and are not disputing fault, correct? If so, then your insurance company will pay the other driver under your liability coverage and your car will be repaired under your collision coverage. Your insurance company may ask you to get a copy of the police report for them. Otherwise I don't think you necessarily need to get a copy unless you just want it for your records. Just fyi: The insurance companies decide fault, not the policeman who wrote the accident report. The policeman's view will carry some weight but is not dispositive.

It can take weeks (sometimes months) to get a car repaired after an accident, and it often takes months to completely resolve the accident claims process. Parts have to be ordered to make the repairs, etc.

If you were at fault, your insurance premiums will almost certainly go up unless you have purchased a policy with accident forgiveness.

When you ask "should I claim depreciation," I assume you are referring to diminished value (DV). In most states, DV is not covered under collision. In other words, you can't claim DV when you caused the accident. You should talk to your insurance company to see if you happen to live in one of the states in which it is possible to claim DV under collision.

What in the world does Carmax have to do with all this? Carmax is a used car dealership. Do you mean Carfax? The body shop that repairs your car will likely make a Carfax report so that anyone who subsequently buys your car will know it has been in an accident. This will affect the resale value of your car.

As for additional things you can do to protect your interest, ask about your insurance company's policy re the use of OEM parts to make repairs to your car. I would want OEM parts in a car that new.