Vanguard does not recognize my restricted computer

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
letsgobobby

Vanguard does not recognize my restricted computer

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:15 am

I limit my Vanguard access to my desktop computer.

Tonight I cannot log in, I get a message that I have restricted access to a single device and Vanguard does not recognize my device.

I’m hoping this is just some Saturday night glitch. :shock:

clown

Re: Vanguard does not recognize my restricted computer

Post by clown » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:39 am

Lots of companies (financial and others) do their computer system maintenance and upgrades in the middle of the night. I have seen VG notices announcing such events. Maybe tonight’s the night. Try again in the morning.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:39 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:15 am

Tonight I cannot log in, I get a message that I have restricted access to a single device and Vanguard does not recognize my device.

I heard last week its a new 'device' recognition set-up, in addition to voice recognition.
You need a VG "code" sent to you to set your device's as recognized(maybe IP recognition?), only once.
Theres additionally no more VG Saturday live* interactions w/support staffers of any sort.
Good luck!
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:26 am

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (Vanguard login problem).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:16 am

aspirit wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:39 am
letsgobobby wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:15 am

I heard last week its a new 'device' recognition set-up, in addition to voice recognition.
You need a VG "code" sent to you to set your device's as recognized(maybe IP recognition?), only once.
Theres additionally no more VG Saturday live* interactions w/support staffers of any sort.
Good luck!
I was able to log in Friday with no problem. But not last night, and not this morning.

"Vanguard does not recognize this computer or device. We can't log you on because you've chosen to restrict access from unrecognized devices."

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:18 am

Sometimes an OS upgrade will make your computer unrecognizable.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:29 am

What this thread suggests is that one probably should not limit Vanguard access to a specific device.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:48 am

dknightd wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:18 am
Sometimes an OS upgrade will make your computer unrecognizable.
A browser upgrade sometimes does that too. With automatic updates by browsers and OS's being increasingly common, you can't easily control when your device looks like a different device.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:08 am

i really like the security it offers. even if a thief could duplicate my two factor authentication, it seems it would be hard to replicate my IP address as well.

i’ve never had this problem before.

i have deleted all cookies, etc, and that did not help.

my OS has not recently updated but I don't know about my browser.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:35 am

I don't think it's done by IP. My IP remains stable for months at a time If I don't power off the router for an extended period of time. Yet I frequently get, "We don't recognize your computer" messages from financial sites when trying to log in. As others have stated this is usually after a browser or OS update.

Don't have a Vanguard account so I don't know how to take care of the issue with them.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:43 am

This happened to Ms.G's chromebook this week. She was doing her once a year tIRA to Roth conversion. No biggie since we have cross agent authorization. She did it from my CB and called VG in the morning and they just unchecked recognized computer. Kinda strange because we use 2fa with yubie keys, I think it may have been a checked box from years ago she never noticed. But I guess the system worked, not even she got to log on. :oops: