Need Reliable CPAP Supplier

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
lhwerdyt*1791c

Need Reliable CPAP Supplier

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Hello,

My sister uses a cpap machine. She is covered by Medicare.

She gets her replacement supplies such as mask, headgear, tubing, etc., from "Sleep Med Inc". Website: www.sleepmedinc.com

She orders from Sleep Med company because that's the supplier chosen by her treating sleep doc.

However, Sleep Med screws up the order nearly every time. So frustrating. They apologize every time but it keeps happening.

We know someone else who uses Advanced Health Services who she said its pretty accurate in filling its orders.

Questions:
What is the name of the CPAP supplier used by you or your family member to get replacement supplies?
Is your supplier reliable/accurate for the most part?
Do you know whether a patient can switch suppliers assuming the treating doctor agrees to work the new supplier? (We will ask the doctor, too, of course but wanted to know more about how it works from the Boglehead community.)

Any other information you can provide is appreciated.

Lhwerdy
Last edited by lhwerdyt*1791c on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Need Reliable CPAP Supplier

Post by nisiprius » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 pm

For supplies that are covered by insurance, I let my DME do it.

For supplies that are not, and for accessories (like lithium batteries for powering my machine overnight when camping), I've used mycpap.com and cpap.com. They're both good, reliable, typical Internet "mail-order" companies. I sometimes use DirectHomeMedical.com which is connected with my DME; they are prone to overpackaging and sometimes a little slow shipping, but they have all of the exact right items for my machine.

As far as I know, if you are paying for it yourself, you can order anything from anyone. If it is an actual CPAP machine, they need to have a prescription from your doctor. If it is supplies or replacements (hoses, etc.) for a machine you already own, that doesn't seem to be necessary.

If insurance is paying for it, it may well be different. If Medicare is paying for it, the supplier needs to be approved by Medicare as a "durable medical equipment" provider (DME).

Often there will be a choice between hoses etc. that are provided by the same company that made the CPAP machine, and third-party parts that aren't. I usually stick with the "genuine" parts, the price difference isn't much, but I've never had any obvious problems with the third-party parts.
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:50 pm

My sister has Medicare. I'll just corrected my OP on that.

May I ask if you are covered through Medicare, too?

If so, does Medicare then choose the supplier under the DME coverage?

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Probably the best approach is to choose a supplier, call them, and ask them "are you a Medicare DME?" If they say "yes," then ask them what protocol needs to be followed.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:03 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 pm
Probably the best approach is to choose a supplier, call them, and ask them "are you a Medicare DME?" If they say "yes," then ask them what protocol needs to be followed.
Okay, good.

FYI: Before I posted, this evening, I searched for suppliers but couldn't find any supplier that was reviewed by more than, say, six or reviewers. So I posted here to request names of reliable suppliers based on BH experience.

lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:04 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 pm
For supplies that are covered by insurance, I let my DME do it.

For supplies that are not, and for accessories (like lithium batteries for powering my machine overnight when camping), I've used mycpap.com and cpap.com. They're both good, reliable, typical Internet "mail-order" companies. I sometimes use DirectHomeMedical.com which is connected with my DME; they are prone to overpackaging and sometimes a little slow shipping, but they have all of the exact right items for my machine.

As far as I know, if you are paying for it yourself, you can order anything from anyone. If it is an actual CPAP machine, they need to have a prescription from your doctor. If it is supplies or replacements (hoses, etc.) for a machine you already own, that doesn't seem to be necessary.

If insurance is paying for it, it may well be different. If Medicare is paying for it, the supplier needs to be approved by Medicare as a "durable medical equipment" provider (DME).

Often there will be a choice between hoses etc. that are provided by the same company that made the CPAP machine, and third-party parts that aren't. I usually stick with the "genuine" parts, the price difference isn't much, but I've never had any obvious problems with the third-party parts.
Good tip, thx.