“$1000/month job is worth $300k in retirement funds” // What are some retirement jobs you would actually enjoy doing?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
CyclingDuo

Re: “$1000/month job is worth $300k in retirement funds” // What are some retirement jobs you would actually enjoy doing

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:10 am

Plz wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:22 pm
warner25 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:48 am
Plz wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 pm
Part time or full time, whichever tickles your fancy. Also it doesn’t necessarily have to earn $1000/month. It could be more or less, as long as it’s not zero.

Personally, I think I would enjoy being a teacher, but haven’t really thought about this in depth, so I figured I’d ask all of you :)
Depending on what you mean by "teacher," you should know that comments like this are terribly insulting to teachers. When my wife was a high school math teacher, she was working 70-80 hours a week with lesson prep, grading, tutoring, and other duties, and frequently coming home in tears. It was anything but part-time or enjoyable. I guess you could be a sub, but that's less about teaching and more about babysitting.
After some time marinating on your post, I’m still not sure why wanting to become a teacher during retirement is insulting. I never said it would be easy or that I could land a job without trying, I simply said I think I would enjoy it.

Before I jump to any conclusions, could you please elaborate on what you mean? I’m not trying to pick a fight at all, I just want to make sure that I understand fully, because becoming a teacher later on in my life is something I am seriously considering.
You would have much less skin in the game if a career change in "retirement" meant doing some part-time teaching work - if that is even in the cards.

Our household has been in education and can attest to some long hours during the academic year, but with all of the Fall/Spring breaks, holiday breaks (2-3 weeks at Christmas), and Summer vacations - if you want to average out the actual number of hours worked - the balance is not that bad. You're looking at about a 18 week Fall Semester and more or less about the same for a Spring Semester for public schools (minus the Fall/Spring breaks). 2-3 weeks Christmas Holidays between the two of course. Then you get a 12-14 week hiatus for Summer. :beer

Adjunct work at a Community College, or small private college in your area within your speciality niche may indeed be one way to pursue it. Many have a non-traditional student (adult education) segment that offers evening/weekend/online courses both at the institution, or even at a satellite campus. Your main competition for landing some of that work would be from the actual professors at those same institutions who are trying to pick up some extra income to supplement their base salary/teaching load in the traditional M-F classes. The only way to find out what is available is to check the job postings at their websites, see the qualifications required, and then apply if qualified. Other possibilities could include teaching courses in your niche via your city/community center that offers small group classes, parks & rec classes, etc... . Perhaps even getting hired to do some teaching work in basic skills classes for the unemployed at the unemployment office is a possibility.

In terms of any public school teaching, the certificate/licensure in your state for the age group is required and would be the largest hurdle if you don't already possess your teaching license. You might have a better chance at being a teaching assistant or associate as both are a fairly decent part-time job (especially if you are qualified for working with special education students and ESL).
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

carolinaman

Re: “$1000/month job is worth $300k in retirement funds” // What are some retirement jobs you would actually enjoy doing

Post by carolinaman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:22 am

I worked full time until age 66. My plan was to stay active and do part time volunteer work which I have done although volunteer work has declined in recent years (I am 74 and in good health for my age). I resolved to never work for pay again. About 6 months after retirement a former boss offered me a consulting gig that could have easily turned into a long term deal. I was tempted but then I remembered that I would be effectively "unretiring" if I took the gig and also remembered all the stress and customer challenges that often come with these opportunities. So I passed and never considered anything since.

I do like doing volunteer work especially if it is something that utilizes some of my skills and experience. I need these types of things to keep me engaged in activities. I am blessed that I do not need the extra income and definitely do not need the headaches that often come with the work.

Plz

Post by Plz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:59 am

warner25 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:45 am
Plz wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:22 pm
...could you please elaborate on what you mean?
I just took your thread title to imply that teaching is a "retirement job," as if teachers are like retirees. As if it might be fun, easy, and not too much work after a career of hard work. Like I said earlier, my wife felt anything but retired as a public high school teacher. Call it a second career, but not a retirement job. I guess part of the issue is that the internet FIRE community has really muddled the definition of "retirement." And to be fair, you didn't say much so one could interpret your post differently.
Edited to ask: What if someone called your occupation a retirement job?
Very fair point, I’m sorry to have insinuated so many things; it was definitely not my intention. I should have been more careful.

For me, “retirement job” just meant something that I would absolutely love doing, and would do for free if getting paid wasn’t an option...Something I can do later on when money was less of an issue/requirement to keep me engaged during my older years.

warner25

Post by warner25 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:32 am

Plz wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:59 am
For me, “retirement job” just meant something that I would absolutely love doing...
This is a good clarification. For what it's worth, I think many teachers do love their subject and teaching, itself, but not all the accompanying administrative stuff that tends to dominate their time, especially in US public K-12. I also think this is true of people in most other professions too.