apply for cc with frozen credit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
sambb

apply for cc with frozen credit

Post by sambb » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:01 pm

I froze my credit with all the agencies after the big scare a year ago. Now i need a new credit card. Whats the procedure if I have frozen the credit at the agencies. do i just apply as usual and wait?

HereToLearn

Re: apply for cc with frozen credit

Post by HereToLearn » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:03 pm

If the CC company will tell you which of the three agencies they will pull from, then you can just unfreeze your credit with that agency. I have found that many CC companies will not be able to tell you, so you will need to unfreeze with all three. You can unfreeze for one day and the CC application is usually processed immediately.

dollar_elbow

Post by dollar_elbow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:20 pm

You can unlock all three to get an immediate decision on your application or else wait for a response from the CC company that will usually tell you which bureau they want to check so you can just unlock that one.

You could check one of the credit pulls databases, such as https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?/creditpulls/, that can often give you an idea of which bureau is mostly likely to be pulled. A good rule of thumb I have found is that most companies check Experian first.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:29 pm

dollar_elbow wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:20 pm
You can unlock all three to get an immediate decision on your application or else wait for a response from the CC company that will usually tell you which bureau they want to check so you can just unlock that one.

You could check one of the credit pulls databases, such as https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?/creditpulls/, that can often give you an idea of which bureau is mostly likely to be pulled. A good rule of thumb I have found is that most companies check Experian first.
I would say that since it is now free, just un-freeze (weird term - shouldn't it just be "thaw"?) all three reports temporarily, like for a week or so. Your risk is very low, your cost is now zero, and you don't need to worry about which bureau the bank pulls a report from. Easy peasy.

dollar_elbow

Post by dollar_elbow » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:11 am

Horsefly wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:29 pm
dollar_elbow wrote:

I would say that since it is now free, just un-freeze (weird term - shouldn't it just be "thaw"?) all three reports temporarily, like for a week or so. Your risk is very low, your cost is now zero, and you don't need to worry about which bureau the bank pulls a report from. Easy peasy.
In the case of Capital One you have to thaw all three regardless; most of the other companies only want to check one of the reports.

I don't think unlocking for a week is necessary if the OP is concerned about his SSN being misused. One or two days should be more than sufficient.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:41 am

dollar_elbow wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:11 am
Horsefly wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:29 pm
dollar_elbow wrote:

In the case of Capital One you have to thaw all three regardless; most of the other companies only want to check one of the reports.

I don't think unlocking for a week is necessary if the OP is concerned about his SSN being misused. One or two days should be more than sufficient.
I agree about only needing to unlock for a day or two. Citibank is another that requires unfreezing all three.

Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:56 am

I just did this with Chase. I did not unfreeze (thaw?) my credit with my application. They contacted me, told me which bureau they would use and asked me to unfreeze it. I did so and was approved. That said, I made that plan for myself when there were still charges for freezing/unfreezing, so you might just want to do all 3 to have the smoothest process.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:53 pm

I have my credit reports frozen at all 3 agencies. A few years ago, I asked to increase my CC limit on my main card. The bank told me which agency they used, so when I got back home (I was at the bank already), I dug out the letter with the PIN and called the credit department who three-wayed me into a call with the agency. I gave that rep my PIN and she thawed the report and got off the line. The bank rep then reviewed it and immediately granted me the limit increase. While I recognize asking for a limit increase is simpler than asking for a new card, the process is generally the same.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:18 pm

What I’ve done: Made the application for the card then waited for them to tell me which credit agency account needed to be thawed temporarily. Was okayed on the phone.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:28 pm

HereToLearn wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:41 am
I agree about only needing to unlock for a day or two. Citibank is another that requires unfreezing all three.
I haven't heard of Citi hitting all three bureaus but perhaps they do in some situations. Citi and Chase have hit me on two though but it is inconsistent.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:54 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:28 pm
HereToLearn wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:41 am
I haven't heard of Citi hitting all three bureaus but perhaps they do in some situations. Citi and Chase have hit me on two though but it is inconsistent.
I got a Citi/Costco card just this past year. One thaw. All done on the phone. Not even charged for the thaw. Of course, now no one will be charged to unfreeze.