place to buy stock certificates?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Peppergrass

place to buy stock certificates?

Post by Peppergrass » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:59 pm

HI guys

wanted to buy my nephew some stock certificates. it reminded me when my uncle purchased me some bonds when I was born, so I thought to pass on the same..

Is there any place you guys know of to purchase some stock certificates so I can give to my brother, didn't want him to have to setup an account ( which he doesn't ) or for his kid.

Thanks

livesoft

Re: place to buy stock certificates?

Post by livesoft » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:42 pm

E-bay has them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:45 pm

https://www.giveashare.com

However, the number of companies that still issue paper certificates is growing smaller every day.

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Peppergrass wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:59 pm
HI guys

wanted to buy my nephew some stock certificates. it reminded me when my uncle purchased me some bonds when I was born, so I thought to pass on the same..

Is there any place you guys know of to purchase some stock certificates so I can give to my brother, didn't want him to have to setup an account ( which he doesn't ) or for his kid.

Thanks
I bet you can get certificates from Fido or Schwab (for a fee). Or try Moneypaper.com for companies that actually offer DRIP shares. In any event, I would re-think this. Certificates even today are already mostly a pain in the neck to deal with (as you are finding this is true on the buyer side, but even more so on the seller side). If its just one share you expect your nephew to frame and hang on the wall then fine, but if it is something he will have to find a way to dispose of in say, 20 or 30 years, then I don't think its worth the trouble. At that point, it may be a MAJOR hassle. Note, even the Federal Government has quit the business of paper savings bonds (for the most part, anyway), so that should tell you this type of thing must be well on its way to extinction... if you really need something "physical", maybe buy a few ounces of gold for him, or something?

Peppergrass

Post by Peppergrass » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:03 pm

thanks guys,

gold is a good option also..