Estimating amount needed for Graduate Student loans

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
scsiguru

Estimating amount needed for Graduate Student loans

Post by scsiguru » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:51 pm

My DD is currently in her first year of OTD school and just got notice from the admissions office that the FAFSA for 2019/2020 school year is now open. I helped her fill out the information for this school year and we were really close in estimating the amount of loans she needed. My wife and I are helping her with her living expenses and her loans are covering her tuition/books/and misc. fees. When we did the FAFSA for the 2018/2019 school year it was in March of this year since that was the time she knew she was accepted. The school already had their tuition fees posted. But since the FAFSA window for next school year is open what is the best way to "estimate" how much in loans she will need to take? I don't want to take out too much and of course I don't want to not have enough to cover the entire year. The OTD program is year round and covers three (3) semesters for the entire year. Thanks in advance for any information on how best to apply for the loans.

As a side note my wife and I were fully able to fund her undergraduate studies and did not have to apply for any loans, etc.