Adult kids getting help from parents

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
BradJ

Adult kids getting help from parents

Post by BradJ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:44 pm

How many people here, between the ages of 25-45, get help from their parents? When I say help, any monetary provisions that exceed $500 a year. This can include educational expenses for your children, or even paying off your college loans. I personally don't believe what society tells me, but I was told the other day that I was an anomaly when I told someone me and my wife receive $0 from our parents. I informed a coworker that when we go on vacation with our parents, everything is split evenly.....he looked at me like I asked for a football bat.

No judgement here, I am just wanting to know how prevalent this trend really is.

barnaclebob

Re: Adult kids getting help from parents

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:48 pm

Age 32 here. The only ongoing help I get from my dad is to be on his cell phone family plan. If that went away it wouldn't be a big deal for us.

Lump sum help I got was leaving college debt free, 20k for part of a down payment on our house in 2009, and a UTMA account that's now grown to about 250k. I haven't touched that money except to bring 30k to a refi in 2011 which was probably one of the best financial decisions we made. Went from a 30 year loan at 5.125% to a 15 year at 2.75. The payment was the same. The rest of that money is earmarked for any potential childrens' education or an alamo emergency fund.

I have no idea what if anything my parents or in laws will give us for kids.

I consider myself extremely fortunate for getting a huge leg up in life.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:52 pm

I'm well outside your age range (older), but we adopted kids later in life and so are in the middle of college expenses. Both my mom and wife's dad have helped with bank checks made out to the school. Now, since we're older and became parents later, both our parents are in their mid 80's and are quite comfortable financially, so can easily write $10k checks several times a year. They also both hate the idea of "giving the state money" since our state estate tax kicks in at $1MM.
Last edited by Jack FFR1846 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Out of 4 kids, 2 of my siblings needed a lot of financial help from my parents but my brother and I did not.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:56 pm

The definition of "help" and "assistance" here is wide and deep. Search past threads for "bank of mom and dad", and so forth.
"Help" ranges from 0 to the moon.
It depends on relationships, finances, need, merit, and willingness.
Actionably?

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:58 pm

BradJ wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:44 pm
How many people here, between the ages of 25-45, get help from their parents? When I say help, any monetary provisions that exceed $500 a year. This can include educational expenses for your children, or even paying off your college loans. I personally don't believe what society tells me, but I was told the other day that I was an anomaly when I told someone me and my wife receive $0 from our parents. I informed a coworker that when we go on vacation with our parents, everything is split evenly.....he looked at me like I asked for a football bat.

No judgement here, I am just wanting to know how prevalent this trend really is.
I have heard the percentage also is insanely high for what I would have expected like 40% or more.

Only help I get from parents has been from estates when a grandparent passed away and left some money for us grandkids, other than that, we are 100% independent from our parents. Now my sister got free babysitting 60 hours a week for 5 years from my dad, parents also co-signed her mortgage which I think is insane since her husband cant keep a job and has no skills and no education, she also pays her mortgage each month during the 15 day grace period and I have been told she conservatively has paid late at least 7 times.... When we go on vacation I tend to invite my parents and they only pay for dinner if it is a birthday or anniversary dinner, or if they pay for dinner we will pay for ice cream or another meal.

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:02 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:56 pm
The definition of "help" and "assistance" here is wide and deep. Search past threads for "bank of mom and dad", and so forth.
Actionably?
I understand help is a broad term, which is why I asked, with no judgement, if they are receiving any funds over $500 a year. My wife and I were raised by parents who warned us early on that their money was exactly that, theirs. College, home, living expenses......all that was expected to be paid for by the individual, not the parent, by age 18.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Parents helped out with first home down payment. It was a loan and I repaid every penny in 12 months.

They made it very clear that when I finished college, their support obligation would end.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Between the ages of 16-45, I received $2,200 total in help from my parents. My DH has received no help from his parents from age 15 onward.

We are both the oldest child in our families and are happy to be self-sufficient; meanwhile, a great deal of financial support has gone from our parents to the youngest sibling on each side, including college education, real estate investments, vacations, cars, etc.
Last edited by DesertDiva on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫ - Second verse same as the first

financiallycurious

Post by financiallycurious » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:11 pm

My parents paid for college (all costs including housing), grad school (just tuition), and bought me my first car when I was 18. Since then, I haven't received or expected any financial help. I feel very grateful for the early help and now to be independent and comfortable. When we go out to eat we take turns paying, but we pay more often than they do. On the other end of the spectrum, it is surprising and frustrating to me to see how many parents continue to pay for their adult children in their 30s, while we are instead giving help to my in laws who didn't save for retirement.

thrifty_one

Post by thrifty_one » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm 53 , DW is 52 .. While we're in the 2 comma club it was solely through our own blood, sweat and tears we achieved that. The only assistance we got from our parents was getting college paid for which we highly appreciated (much more so now that I'm paying for 2 in college at the moment). My younger siblings got assistance from time to time from the bank of mom and dad but i honestly would've taken another job rather than ask for money - just the way i'm wired i guess. I came from a blue-collar family and my wife's dad was a military chaplain so there was not a lot of money to throw around in our upbringings.

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:14 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:56 pm
Actionably?
Also depends on grandkids...

-TheDDC

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Paid for undergrad. More than I deserved! :mrgreen:

grokzilla

Post by grokzilla » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:22 pm

We're both mid 40s.

No financial help from either set of parents. Both worked through college and paid for our own tuition. This was true at the time for the majority of our close friends as well -- in mostly middle/upper middle class CA -- though plenty had their schooling paid for. Part of me wonders if there might be a bit of regionality associated with it...totally anecdotal, but it feels like it's more common on the right coast.

I vividly remember the first time I learned about folks getting financial help from their parents as working adults at my first job. Was totally shocked when a coworker was talking about getting the yearly sum -- think it was $10k a year/parent then -- dad was a doctor. And, just as vividly remember saying to myself...wow that would REALLY help right now! :) Was entirely intrigued that this was even possible as I hadn't received much of a financial education from my parents.

Fast forward and we'll likely be doing the same thing for our kids. We're already covering college tuition as it's gotten silly expensive since we went to school. Not sure if we'll do the yearly gift or just help with the big expensive things or both, but there will definitely be assistance. We've spent alot of their youth teaching them to be diligent about money so hopefully this just helps soften the edges and doesn't become a crutch. We shall see!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:58 pm
BradJ wrote:

I have heard the percentage also is insanely high for what I would have expected like 40% or more.
Based upon my extended family, close friends who I have spoken to about this, and neighbors who are willing to divulge that their parents are the only way they can continue their lifestyle; I'd have to think that 40% may actually be quite low. In my extended family, I think it is close to 100% and in some cases that help is extreme. I have quite a few cousins with families of their own who are essentially totally financially dependent on my aunts and uncles, it is a major point of disconnect between my siblings and the rest of the family.

I know I haven't received a penny from my mom since I left for college at 16, all 6 of my siblings are all pretty much the same (1 may have received some help, but not on-going). My mother probably would love to help, if she could. I have helped my mom financially a few handfuls of times the past decade and will likely have to help her in retirement soon. My in-laws; we've helped them a great deal with housing and financially for the entirety of our marriage, and they have accepted that their "retirement" is being dependent on us. Yeah, we have "boomerang" parents.
Last edited by stoptothink on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:29 pm

I've only received help from my parents once since I left home at 17. That was for a dental issue when I was in graduate school. I did not ask for the money or help. If I recall it was in the ballpark of $1500.

In my 40's now (gen x).

I honestly think it's harder now, in the age of the millenial, etc. I'm not opposed to helping my children when they are adults but they have to have financial savvy and be conservative as well as respectful of money in general.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:29 pm

Just outside of your age range (46 now)

I've received quite a bit of support. Tuition paid for in college. Help with a house down payment. My Mom reimburses airfare when we fly up to visit.

My parents have more than they need, and spending more on what they consider frivolous stuff does not appeal to them. So they are generous, with both charities and us kids.

However, I also-
Was required to get a job at 16 (washing dishes)
Had to buy my own car
Spent my own money for all entertainment expenses (since a very early age)
Balanced my budget in college (they paid tuition plus some room and board, I had to cover the rest with summer jobs)
Had no help between the ages of 22 and 30

I think their model was to make sure all the kids knew the value of hard work and successfully 'launched' in both career and personal life. Then they have been happy to help out. I plan to follow roughly the same strategy with my kids.

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:32 pm

I was told I had 6 months to move out after finishing college. Best advice ever.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:33 pm

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Are you saying your parents kicked you out the door on your own as soon as you turned 18?(Or at least graduated high school, hopefully) If so, then yes, that is unusual, at least by today's standards. Most parents provide at least some support to their kids during college. It isn't required, of course, and the level of support will vary widely, but the absolute zero support you described is one extreme, particularly with the current costs of higher education. I'm 43 now, and my parent's helped with college, along with loans and part time jobs. My wife(40 in a week, I'd better start shopping) had her entire college paid for by her parents. They helped us out with some other things since then, including a gift to help with a home down payment and a few other things. We haven't needed any actual help in a long time now though(And even the down payment help wasn't required). Currently, my wife's parents probably give us close to $1k/year in cash between birthdays, Christmas, and 529 plan donations for our daughter, along with frequently buying us dinner while visiting or paying for something for our daughter. None of it is required, they just like being generous and are very comfortable financially.

retired recently

Post by retired recently » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Just turned 50.

My dad paid almost all of my undergrad costs, except for some small loans I received that I paid back after graduating. I have received no other help and was happy to pay for two vacations for him (flights to come visit me when I was working in Moscow) and buy him a new Accord when he turned 50. I also bought him a nice couch as his had worn out in the spot that he always sits in and 10 years later, this couch also has the same obvious wear.

sergio

Post by sergio » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:40 pm

1. Nothing on an ongoing basis except for free baby sitting/childcare a few days a month.
2. $15k towards our house down payment (wedding gift - we did not have a reception).
3. Paid for my college tuition - kind of. My mom was an employee at the university I attended, so we paid a fraction of the full price. My brother went to a different (and better) university and parents only paid half.

Because of #3 I'd like to pay for at least 50% of my child's college, preferably more (80% being the target). Even grads with moderate-sized loans and a decent starting salary can struggle for years to get on their feet, save for a down payment, etc. since so much money needs to be diverted towards paying loans. I'd rather pay some or all of the tuition outright than have my kid paying interest.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:49 pm

My siblings and I, none of us required any help after college. We are all currently helping our parents financially. Among my sphere of influence this is neither rare or common. I know many who accept help from parents. I know many who do not. I'm not surprised either way. If my parents had any money, I would have no issues accepting it for a home down payment for example. My mom actually offered but I know my parents don't have a lot of money so I refused as I didn't need it to purchase a home.

One of my friends refused help from her wealthy parents to use as a downpayment on a home. She wanted to be independent. That's rare.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:52 pm

We are the parents of one kid in the specified age range.

We pay kid’s health insurance premium, which is substantially more than $500/year.

As I have said before — probably too many times — on this forum, I believe that it is preferable to provide help when kids are younger rather than having them inherit a bunch of money when they are near or in retirement themselves.

It is unusual for people to be outraged at kids inheriting their parents’ money, but some people get very worked up about parents providing financial assistance when the parents are still alive.

I also think parents who provide help to their kids to the extent that it compromises the parents’ financial security are nuts.

10.06am

Post by 10.06am » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:56 pm

My parents sent me $650/mo my last two years of college for rent and food. That stopped after senior year. (My tuition was paid for by a scholarship.) No other help since then.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:03 pm

I see this sort of thing occasionally and am completely flabbergasted at the concept.

My dad gave me $100 the day I left for college a few decades ago. That was the last "help" I got and was $100 more than I expected. But then, as a college student, I made more working a couple of part time jobs than he ever made in his life. I have been fortunate enough to be able to help him sometimes. Our kids have paid their own way although you could probably put some value on them living at home while going to college. Somewhere in this process you need to learn to take care of yourself, be responsible for your own choices and live within your own means independent of mom and dad or anyone else.

"Are you saying your parents kicked you out the door on your own as soon as you turned 18?(Or at least graduated high school, hopefully)"

We were not "kicked" out but there was an explicit expectation that we would be doing something productive immediately after graduating high school.
Last edited by Mike Scott on Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:03 pm

Us? 0

Friends - yes. Siblings - yes.

We don't know of any other people our age that have been able to come up with a down payment for a home here, besides us. We're gov employees - we just knew how to save.

The one friend who could do the above - decided to retire at 39 instead (he did receive an inheritance from an Aunt, though, but wasn't life changing - he also knew how to save/invest, LBYM)

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:12 pm

BradJ wrote:

We are 34 and 46.

We split vacations with my parents, but they also give us a check at the end of most years in lieu of wrapping presents. I joke that is all we are saving to support them if they run out, but in reality we spend it in ways that let us spend time with them. Whatever, money is fungible.

Both sets of parents feed and house us when we visit. One or the other set also lends us a car now that we fly in from the other side of the country. They don't seem concerned about giving us a full tank of gas. Just car rental plus hotel for one week a year would probably be over $500.

Each of our siblings has a different financial relationship with the parents though. We each have a sibling who depended on parents for housing for a significant period after having children. My parents can only see one sibling by buying him and his wife plane tickets; they aren't welcome in the house they are subsidizing with an outstanding loan. One of his siblings vacations with the parents every year on the parents' dime. All the grandkids get significant Christmas and activity subsidies from his parents, as well.

Yankuba

Post by Yankuba » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:24 pm

delamer wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:52 pm
We are the parents of one kid in the specified age range.

We pay kid’s health insurance premium, which is substantially more than $500/year.

As I have said before — probably too many times — on this forum, I believe that it is preferable to provide help when kids are younger rather than having them inherit a bunch of money when they are near or in retirement themselves.

It is unusual for people to be outraged at kids inheriting their parents’ money, but some people get very worked up about parents providing financial assistance when the parents are still alive.

I also think parents who provide help to their kids to the extent that it compromises the parents’ financial security are nuts.
My aunt agrees with Delamer - she has been giving her children their inheritance while they are alive and could better use the money. People in their 50s, 60s and 70s probably don't need a seven figure inheritance.

My parents give me and my kids some large cash gifts for the holidays (about $2k total) and my parents watch my children one day a week so my wife can go into the office. We don't pay them for their time. My in-laws also watch my kids one day a week - for free.

TSR

Post by TSR » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:27 pm

OP generously specified that there was "no judgment" in the question, but a lot of answers appear to express a lot of judgment. I suppose this is an emotionally charged "identity issue" with a lot of people, and likely with a lot of very financially responsible people.

To answer: I am within the specified age range. My dad usually gifts me $250 at my birthday, and then he ups that to $500 at Christmas. I don't need it or ask for it, but by OP's definition that means I am getting help from my parents -- fair enough. In addition to that, over the last 15 years I have asked for and received two loans in the low five figures related to home purchases (all properly disclosed to lenders). I paid both loans back well in advance of their presumptive due dates. I would guess that my father contributes something toward the education of my niece and nephew. My brother and his wife are both lawyers and do quite well for themselves and are ridiculously careful with their money, but my father enjoys helping out. Both of my parents routinely babysit my niece and nephew. I truly can't understand how anyone could pass judgment on that arrangement, and I certainly don't think it's any of my business (I don't have kids, so I can't offer that opportunity to my parents).

The reason the judgment seems unnecessary is that many people who would proudly proclaim that they receive nothing from their parents in fact receive quite a bit. For example, many people whose parents were in the middle class or above have the extreme luxury of walking through their days with the knowledge that they have a safety net of caring people who would help out in an extreme emergency. Yes, we can (and do) insure against a lot of things, but not everything. I'd venture that a lot of us have that safety net baked into the decisions we make, the way that we educate ourselves (I had to pay for graduate school for myself, but I knew that if I went bankrupt I could probably sleep at my dad's house for a few months while I pulled my life together), the decision of whether/when we have kids, etc. Most people on this site are very lucky in that way, and this must surely be considered "help from parents" as much as any direct cash payments would be.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Mid/late 30s. My parents pick up about 1/4 of our nearly $40k/year daycare expense. They also pay for our flights to come visit or if we go on a vacation with them. Not necessary, but much appreciated.

Similar to delamer's post above, their money is going to outlast them so they figure they might as well help us now instead of leaving a bigger pile in the end (and yes, they are quite charitable as well - not just keeping their money in the family)

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:39 pm

Our parents paid for DW's and my educations and we paid for the education of our adult children. We gave them cars and credit cards to use while they were in college, and we paid the bills.

We are in great financial shape with much more than we think we will ever need.

The kids are now in their 20s and both are successful in their respective fields. One earns almost as much as I was when I retired, and the other earns much more. Due to their salaries (and the significant salaries of their significant others), they don't need or want any help.

I did loan one of them a down payment for a home which was repaid. The other bought a home and did not want any help. We did pitch in cash toward the one's wedding, and we will do the same for the other, if and when the time comes.

If one or both of our kids needed help, we would gladly help them. If they had a setback in life, we would welcome them to live with us. As it appears though, this seems unlikely.

We are contributing to a 529 for our grandchild.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:42 pm

My two brothers, two stepsisters, and I are all in the 27-31 age range.

I have received no assistance from parents since I started college at 17, except for things like the occasional dinner out, or gas to pick me up for break from college. I don't think they even helped with the 1 or 2 plane tickets I had during summer vacations. My brothers and I all went to military academies, so we never would needed help with things like tuition or room & board. However, I was told to expect to pay for my own education, regardless of where I decided to go to college.

One of my brothers had some medical issues and lived at home for a few months after he left the service.

One of my stepsisters lived at home for 5+ years, I think, mainly for some medical issues. Her then and current boyfriend also lived in a separate part of the house for several years, but they recently moved out and live together.

I think my stepsisters had assistance with their tuition, but don't know for sure.

I think the amount of assistance given to my stepsisters by my father and stepmother has been the cause of some conflict between them, but I don't pay much attention to it. I do just fine for myself.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:53 pm

I know of families that view financial resources as one big pool across generations and the beneficiary being the generation with less resources.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:56 pm

No financial help from either set of parents. Mine would sometimes pay for meals and hotels when we visited them, although they never offered to pay for our vacations that didn't involve them. In laws were always strictly split-the-check people. With us, anyway, one BIL asked for and got help, with a heap of resentment piled on. Like OP, I was shocked to get into the work place and find there were people who helped kids with down payments on houses. What??

But whatever. You can't take it with you, so if you have more than you need you have to figure out what to do with it. Whether giving to charity or giving to family you can give now or give later. We're all born with different assets and liabilities - height, hair/eye/skin color, congenital health issues, intelligence, emotional resilience. And family money. Make the most of what you've got, you won't make any more progress fretting about what others were born with and you weren't. Other people have a lot of help and a lot of hurdles you won't ever know anything about.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:59 pm

Here is a list of help I have received from my parents over the years. I'm currently 32.

1. Private college tuition: $250k in today's dollars
2. Below-market rent in a condo owned by parents: $50k total subsidy over four years
3. MBA tuition assistance: $50k
4. Bay area house down payment assistance: $250k (was half of the down payment; parents will receive half of any appreciation if/when we sell)
5. 529 for our new infant daughter: $50k

In general our family operates under two principles:

(1) Better for money to stay in the family than be paid to strangers
(2) Better for parents to see the impact of their wealth now rather than never (i.e. passed down in the form of an inheritance)

To add more color, my wife & I currently gross close to $400k/yr, so we are well past the point of "needing" the help. But there is another layer to this - when you know you have a financially supportive family, you are more willing and able to take calculated risks with your life path & career. In the long run I think this will be the best "help" my parents can provide me.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:00 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.