2019 ACA prices out

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
hicabob
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

2019 ACA prices out

Post by hicabob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Just got my notice from Kaiser. Unsubsidized bronze for myself, a 62yo male, will be $791/month up from $700/mo this year. Not as bad an increase as I was expecting. Interesting that a measly 12% increase elicits gratitude!

HoosierJim
Posts: 451
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:49 pm

Looks like approx avg +5% for Indiana (not final) More info here form HJK Foundation - most rate tables are shown for a 40 year old non-smoker. Not all prices are final. There were increase requests as high as 33% in Indiana
Image
Last edited by HoosierJim on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masonstone
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by masonstone » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm

hicabob wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
Just got my notice from Kaiser. Unsubsidized bronze for myself, a 62yo male, will be $791/month up from $700/mo this year. Not as bad an increase as I was expecting. Interesting that a measly 12% increase elicits gratitude!
I wonder why the prices keep going up?

HoosierJim
Posts: 451
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:00 pm

masonstone wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm
I wonder why the prices keep going up?
One factor is the planned unenforcement of the mandate. Younger , healthier customers may choose to uninsure or go to a catastrophic plan. Don't worry - lawsuits on both sides of the issue are going through the courts.
Last edited by HoosierJim on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 4899
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:03 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:00 pm
Don't worry - lawsuits on both sides of the issue are going through the courts.
Actually that is what worries me.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

hicabob
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by hicabob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:03 pm

masonstone wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm
hicabob wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
Just got my notice from Kaiser. Unsubsidized bronze for myself, a 62yo male, will be $791/month up from $700/mo this year. Not as bad an increase as I was expecting. Interesting that a measly 12% increase elicits gratitude!
I wonder why the prices keep going up?
Supposedly the new cheaper "short term " insurance plans will transfer the healthier population out of ACA plans.
I looked at a couple of those just for fun since I'm fairly healthy and they seem a bit silly, as in paying $200/day for a hospital room.

HoosierJim
Posts: 451
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Yes - that would be interesting if after the smoke clears, it's ruled that the mandate has to be enforced - do we get a 2019 rebate since the pricing was based on less younger members in the pool. There are also some indications of companies making money on the plans so that points to more stabilization.

BruDude
Posts: 2794
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by BruDude » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:07 pm

hicabob wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:03 pm
masonstone wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm
hicabob wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
Just got my notice from Kaiser. Unsubsidized bronze for myself, a 62yo male, will be $791/month up from $700/mo this year. Not as bad an increase as I was expecting. Interesting that a measly 12% increase elicits gratitude!
I wonder why the prices keep going up?
Supposedly the new cheaper "short term " insurance plans will transfer the healthier population out of ACA plans.
I looked at a couple of those just for fun since I'm fairly healthy and they seem a bit silly, as in paying $200/day for a hospital room.
A plan that pays $200/day for a hospital room isn't a short-term plan, it's a limited-benefit plan. There are short-term plans that work exactly like regular health insurance plans. For 2019, some companies will be offering 364-day short-term plans. This will probably eat a big chunk of enrollments for people that don't qualify for subsidies. I had a lot of clients that went for the short-term plans last year when they were offered as 4 consecutive 90-day plans. All of them did it due to cost of unsubsidized ACA plans.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18752
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by dm200 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:21 pm

masonstone wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm
hicabob wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
Just got my notice from Kaiser. Unsubsidized bronze for myself, a 62yo male, will be $791/month up from $700/mo this year. Not as bad an increase as I was expecting. Interesting that a measly 12% increase elicits gratitude!
I wonder why the prices keep going up?
Depending on the state, might it be possible the allowable age multiplier went up?

mrgeeze
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:09 am

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by mrgeeze » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:48 am

masonstone wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm
hicabob wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
Just got my notice from Kaiser. Unsubsidized bronze for myself, a 62yo male, will be $791/month up from $700/mo this year. Not as bad an increase as I was expecting. Interesting that a measly 12% increase elicits gratitude!
I wonder why the prices keep going up?
A plethora of rationale is always forthcoming with seemingly annual double digit rise in premiums for healthcare.
I can't recall ever hearing something like "We got really efficient and are reducing our rates by X (fill in the blank) percent"

Wonder why?

Not really, I have my own conspiracy theories.

JoeRetire
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am

HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm
Yes - that would be interesting if after the smoke clears, it's ruled that the mandate has to be enforced - do we get a 2019 rebate since the pricing was based on less younger members in the pool. There are also some indications of companies making money on the plans so that points to more stabilization.
I got a rebate this year.

Companies must spend at least 80% of the premiums they collect on healthcare, rather than administration (percentage can be higher in some states). If they don't, then they send out rebates.

If an unexpected burst of younger, presumably healthier, members join your plan, you may get a rebate for the same reason.

rantk81
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 am

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by rantk81 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 am

Is there a link on the healthcare.gov site that shows the available plans/prices for 2019? I can't seem to find it. It will only let me browse 2017 and 2018 plans and prices.

furwut
Posts: 1334
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by furwut » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:59 am

rantk81 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 am
Is there a link on the healthcare.gov site that shows the available plans/prices for 2019? I can't seem to find it. It will only let me browse 2017 and 2018 plans and prices.
They will be Nov 1st when open enrollment begins.
Last edited by furwut on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3517
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by munemaker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:18 am

HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:00 pm
masonstone wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm
I wonder why the prices keep going up?
One factor is the planned unenforcement of the mandate.
Tax Act Repeals the Penalties for the Individual Mandate
The employer mandate (a/k/a employer shared responsibility payment) has not been modified by the Tax Act, but the individual mandate penalty has been reduced to zero for years after 2018. Thus, effective for years after December 31, 2018, the Tax Act effectively eliminates the individual mandate penalties. Accordingly, beginning in 2019, the government will no longer attempt to collect the individual mandate penalties if an individual or family does not obtain healthcare coverage in 2019 and thereafter. The elimination of the penalties does not technically remove the requirement to obtain healthcare coverage. But without penalties there will be no enforcement and, in effect, no practical mandate to obtain coverage for 2019 and later years.
reference: https://www.hollandhart.com/2019-repeal ... -penalties

Dottie57
Posts: 4643
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:32 am

mrgeeze wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:48 am
masonstone wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm
hicabob wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
Just got my notice from Kaiser. Unsubsidized bronze for myself, a 62yo male, will be $791/month up from $700/mo this year. Not as bad an increase as I was expecting. Interesting that a measly 12% increase elicits gratitude!
I wonder why the prices keep going up?
A plethora of rationale is always forthcoming with seemingly annual double digit rise in premiums for healthcare.
I can't recall ever hearing something like "We got really efficient and are reducing our rates by X (fill in the blank) percent"

Wonder why?

Not really, I have my own conspiracy theories.
Healthcare providers keep raising their negotiated prices. Healthcare insurers want a profit. Lots of layers of profit.

Dottie57
Posts: 4643
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:33 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am
HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm
Yes - that would be interesting if after the smoke clears, it's ruled that the mandate has to be enforced - do we get a 2019 rebate since the pricing was based on less younger members in the pool. There are also some indications of companies making money on the plans so that points to more stabilization.
I got a rebate this year.

Companies must spend at least 80% of the premiums they collect on healthcare, rather than administration (percentage can be higher in some states). If they don't, then they send out rebates.

If an unexpected burst of younger, presumably healthier, members join your plan, you may get a rebate for the same reason.
I think that is true of Medicare, but not otherwise. Corrected in posts below.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notinuse
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by notinuse » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:37 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:33 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am
HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm
Yes - that would be interesting if after the smoke clears, it's ruled that the mandate has to be enforced - do we get a 2019 rebate since the pricing was based on less younger members in the pool. There are also some indications of companies making money on the plans so that points to more stabilization.
I got a rebate this year.

Companies must spend at least 80% of the premiums they collect on healthcare, rather than administration (percentage can be higher in some states). If they don't, then they send out rebates.

If an unexpected burst of younger, presumably healthier, members join your plan, you may get a rebate for the same reason.
I think that is true of Medicare, but not otherwise.
According to this link, ACA policies are subject to the 80/20 rule. https://www.healthcare.gov/health-care- ... te-review/

Dottie57
Posts: 4643
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:44 am

notinuse wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:37 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:33 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am
HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm
Yes - that would be interesting if after the smoke clears, it's ruled that the mandate has to be enforced - do we get a 2019 rebate since the pricing was based on less younger members in the pool. There are also some indications of companies making money on the plans so that points to more stabilization.
I got a rebate this year.

Companies must spend at least 80% of the premiums they collect on healthcare, rather than administration (percentage can be higher in some states). If they don't, then they send out rebates.

If an unexpected burst of younger, presumably healthier, members join your plan, you may get a rebate for the same reason.
I think that is true of Medicare, but not otherwise.
According to this link, ACA policies are subject to the 80/20 rule. https://www.healthcare.gov/health-care- ... te-review/
Thanks for correction.

furwut
Posts: 1334
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by furwut » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:47 am

notinuse wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:37 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:33 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am
HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm
Yes - that would be interesting if after the smoke clears, it's ruled that the mandate has to be enforced - do we get a 2019 rebate since the pricing was based on less younger members in the pool. There are also some indications of companies making money on the plans so that points to more stabilization.
I got a rebate this year.

Companies must spend at least 80% of the premiums they collect on healthcare, rather than administration (percentage can be higher in some states). If they don't, then they send out rebates.

If an unexpected burst of younger, presumably healthier, members join your plan, you may get a rebate for the same reason.
I think that is true of Medicare, but not otherwise.
According to this link, ACA policies are subject to the 80/20 rule. https://www.healthcare.gov/health-care- ... te-review/
Medicare’s administrative overhead is something like 2%. So, roughly, 10 times more efficient as a payer.

DavidRoseMountain
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am

furwut wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:59 am
rantk81 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 am
Is there a link on the healthcare.gov site that shows the available plans/prices for 2019? I can't seem to find it. It will only let me browse 2017 and 2018 plans and prices.
They will be Nov 1st when open enrollment begins.
I've seen absolutely no advertising or information regarding the open enrollment.
I got one very curt email from healthcare.gov regarding 2019.

furwut
Posts: 1334
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by furwut » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:44 am

DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am
...
I've seen absolutely no advertising or information regarding the open enrollment.
I got one very curt email from healthcare.gov regarding 2019.
That’s by design. Promotion, advertising and facilitation has been cut to the bone. It’s almost as if the government didn’t want you to know about the program :wink:

DavidRoseMountain
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 am

furwut wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:44 am
DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am
...
I've seen absolutely no advertising or information regarding the open enrollment.
I got one very curt email from healthcare.gov regarding 2019.
That’s by design. Promotion, advertising and facilitation has been cut to the bone. It’s almost as if the government didn’t want you to know about the program :wink:
Well I will follow this like a hawk, and I will reapply for the ACA, and help others as well, and take full advantage of the premium tax subsidies.

Big Dog
Posts: 880
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by Big Dog » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:54 am

I wonder why the prices keep going up?
Assuming that this was a serious question, the short answer is that there is no check on costs. The ACA was intended to also control costs, but there is little in the law to do so. Providers can just continue to raise rates each year. And of course, pharmaceuticals are really climbing.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3517
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by munemaker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:19 pm

DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am
furwut wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:59 am
rantk81 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 am
Is there a link on the healthcare.gov site that shows the available plans/prices for 2019? I can't seem to find it. It will only let me browse 2017 and 2018 plans and prices.
They will be Nov 1st when open enrollment begins.
I've seen absolutely no advertising or information regarding the open enrollment.
I got one very curt email from healthcare.gov regarding 2019.
Eighty three percent (83%) of the people enrolled in ObamaCare receive a premium subsidy. When you are selling a product at very deep discounts, you don't need to advertise. People will seek you out.
Last edited by munemaker on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:20 pm

BruDude wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:07 pm
A plan that pays $200/day for a hospital room isn't a short-term plan, it's a limited-benefit plan. There are short-term plans that work exactly like regular health insurance plans. For 2019, some companies will be offering 364-day short-term plans.
Not sure what you mean by "regular health insurance plans", but the newly approved short term plans generally do not work exactly like regular health insurance plans that are subject to ACA rules. Some major differences are that they are medically underwritten, generally don't cover pre-existing conditions, generally do not cover essential heath benefits, may impose life-time or annual limits, etc.

https://khn.org/news/trump-administrati ... lth-plans/

https://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue ... insurance/

JoeRetire
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:33 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am
HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm
Yes - that would be interesting if after the smoke clears, it's ruled that the mandate has to be enforced - do we get a 2019 rebate since the pricing was based on less younger members in the pool. There are also some indications of companies making money on the plans so that points to more stabilization.
I got a rebate this year.

Companies must spend at least 80% of the premiums they collect on healthcare, rather than administration (percentage can be higher in some states). If they don't, then they send out rebates.

If an unexpected burst of younger, presumably healthier, members join your plan, you may get a rebate for the same reason.
I think that is true of Medicare, but not otherwise.
Sorry. You are wrong. I am not on Medicare.
80/20 is an ACA provision.

Dottie57
Posts: 4643
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:39 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:21 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:33 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am
HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm
Yes - that would be interesting if after the smoke clears, it's ruled that the mandate has to be enforced - do we get a 2019 rebate since the pricing was based on less younger members in the pool. There are also some indications of companies making money on the plans so that points to more stabilization.
I got a rebate this year.

Companies must spend at least 80% of the premiums they collect on healthcare, rather than administration (percentage can be higher in some states). If they don't, then they send out rebates.

If an unexpected burst of younger, presumably healthier, members join your plan, you may get a rebate for the same reason.
I think that is true of Medicare, but not otherwise.
Sorry. You are wrong. I am not on Medicare.
80/20 is an ACA provision.
Yes. I know, I was corrected before this post.

JBTX
Posts: 4089
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by JBTX » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:45 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm
Yes - that would be interesting if after the smoke clears, it's ruled that the mandate has to be enforced - do we get a 2019 rebate since the pricing was based on less younger members in the pool. There are also some indications of companies making money on the plans so that points to more stabilization.
It is my understanding that the mandate goes away in 2019 anyway, under the new tax bill. Correct?

marcopolo
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:22 am

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by marcopolo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:02 pm

JBTX wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:45 pm
HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm
Yes - that would be interesting if after the smoke clears, it's ruled that the mandate has to be enforced - do we get a 2019 rebate since the pricing was based on less younger members in the pool. There are also some indications of companies making money on the plans so that points to more stabilization.
It is my understanding that the mandate goes away in 2019 anyway, under the new tax bill. Correct?
Technically, the mandate is actually still there, something to do with what could, or could not, be changed as part of a tax bill. The penalty for not meeting the mandate has been lowered to $0, effectively eliminating the mandate.

I believe what the quoted poster was referring to are the various lawsuits that are challenging that, and asking if the penalty is restored, will purchasers get reimbursed for price hikes that anticipated loss of subscribers that might not materialize. I think there are way too many moving pieces to make any reasonable guess as to what might actually happen.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2015
Posts: 2077
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by 2015 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:23 pm

munemaker wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:19 pm
DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am
furwut wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:59 am
rantk81 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 am
Is there a link on the healthcare.gov site that shows the available plans/prices for 2019? I can't seem to find it. It will only let me browse 2017 and 2018 plans and prices.
They will be Nov 1st when open enrollment begins.
I've seen absolutely no advertising or information regarding the open enrollment.
I got one very curt email from healthcare.gov regarding 2019.
Eighty three percent (83%) of the people enrolled in ObamaCare receive a premium subsidy. When you are selling a product at very deep discounts, you don't need to advertise. People will seek you out.
I'll be one of them. Keep those PTC's and CSR's coming!

BruDude
Posts: 2794
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by BruDude » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:54 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:20 pm
BruDude wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:07 pm
A plan that pays $200/day for a hospital room isn't a short-term plan, it's a limited-benefit plan. There are short-term plans that work exactly like regular health insurance plans. For 2019, some companies will be offering 364-day short-term plans.
Not sure what you mean by "regular health insurance plans", but the newly approved short term plans generally do not work exactly like regular health insurance plans that are subject to ACA rules. Some major differences are that they are medically underwritten, generally don't cover pre-existing conditions, generally do not cover essential heath benefits, may impose life-time or annual limits, etc.

https://khn.org/news/trump-administrati ... lth-plans/

https://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue ... insurance/
I meant the way the benefits work - deductible first, then co-insurance, then 100% coverage. The poster above me noted that some plans pay "$200/day for hospitalization" which is what limited-benefit plans do, not regular short-term health insurance plans.

JBTX
Posts: 4089
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by JBTX » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:00 pm

marcopolo wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:02 pm
JBTX wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:45 pm
HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm
Yes - that would be interesting if after the smoke clears, it's ruled that the mandate has to be enforced - do we get a 2019 rebate since the pricing was based on less younger members in the pool. There are also some indications of companies making money on the plans so that points to more stabilization.
It is my understanding that the mandate goes away in 2019 anyway, under the new tax bill. Correct?
Technically, the mandate is actually still there, something to do with what could, or could not, be changed as part of a tax bill. The penalty for not meeting the mandate has been lowered to $0, effectively eliminating the mandate.

I believe what the quoted poster was referring to are the various lawsuits that are challenging that, and asking if the penalty is restored, will purchasers get reimbursed for price hikes that anticipated loss of subscribers that might not materialize. I think there are way too many moving pieces to make any reasonable guess as to what might actually happen.
The supreme CT ruled that mandates on requiring private sector purchases is unconstitutional, but in the case of ACA the mandate was in fact a tax, not a mandate. So seems to me the tax has been eliminated. Not sure what there is to challenge in court.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18752
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 pm

furwut wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:44 am
DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am
...
I've seen absolutely no advertising or information regarding the open enrollment.
I got one very curt email from healthcare.gov regarding 2019.
That’s by design. Promotion, advertising and facilitation has been cut to the bone. It’s almost as if the government didn’t want you to know about the program :wink:
Not "almost" BUT a fact that certain (in control) forces in the federal government do not want more eligible folks to know about the ACA.

hicabob
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by hicabob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 pm

BruDude wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:54 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:20 pm
BruDude wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:07 pm
A plan that pays $200/day for a hospital room isn't a short-term plan, it's a limited-benefit plan. There are short-term plans that work exactly like regular health insurance plans. For 2019, some companies will be offering 364-day short-term plans.
Not sure what you mean by "regular health insurance plans", but the newly approved short term plans generally do not work exactly like regular health insurance plans that are subject to ACA rules. Some major differences are that they are medically underwritten, generally don't cover pre-existing conditions, generally do not cover essential heath benefits, may impose life-time or annual limits, etc.

https://khn.org/news/trump-administrati ... lth-plans/

https://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue ... insurance/
I meant the way the benefits work - deductible first, then co-insurance, then 100% coverage. The poster above me noted that some plans pay "$200/day for hospitalization" which is what limited-benefit plans do, not regular short-term health insurance plans.

Bru - I have called up a few local health insurance reps. They don't even deal with the short term plans - just covered california which is our ACA. Web searches just return the virtually useless $200/day hospitalization plans for $250/month or so and result in massive amounts of emails/phone calls from what sound like very low level employees. Do you have any links to these new cheaper policies you speak of that still provide good insurance at less than unsubsidized ACA rates for those of us with minimal pre-existings?

TravelGeek
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:25 pm

hicabob wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 pm
Bru - I have called up a few local health insurance reps. They don't even deal with the short term plans - just covered california which is our ACA. Web searches just return the virtually useless $200/day hospitalization plans for $250/month or so and result in massive amounts of emails/phone calls from what sound like very low level employees. Do you have any links to these new cheaper policies you speak of that still provide good insurance at less than unsubsidized ACA rates for those of us with minimal pre-existings?
If you are in California, you may want to look into SB-910, which apparently bans short term insurance plans in CA.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/ar ... 169686.php

I don’t know if it has been signed yet by Gov. Brown, and if not, we should probably avoid discussion of its merits to avoid violating forum rules. The only reason I am posting this is to potentially save you time searching for something that just doesn’t exist in your state.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maverick3320
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by Maverick3320 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:30 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:32 am
mrgeeze wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:48 am
masonstone wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm
hicabob wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
Just got my notice from Kaiser. Unsubsidized bronze for myself, a 62yo male, will be $791/month up from $700/mo this year. Not as bad an increase as I was expecting. Interesting that a measly 12% increase elicits gratitude!
I wonder why the prices keep going up?
A plethora of rationale is always forthcoming with seemingly annual double digit rise in premiums for healthcare.
I can't recall ever hearing something like "We got really efficient and are reducing our rates by X (fill in the blank) percent"

Wonder why?

Not really, I have my own conspiracy theories.
Healthcare providers keep raising their negotiated prices. Healthcare insurers want a profit. Lots of layers of profit.
It may also have to do with lifestyles of the covered. The population is getting older, and 40% of American adults are now obese (in 1990, it was less than 15%). You could make a good argument that Americans have the worst lifestyles in the developed world.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18752
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:38 pm

It may also have to do with lifestyles of the covered. The population is getting older, and 40% of American adults are now obese (in 1990, it was less than 15%). You could make a good argument that Americans have the worst lifestyles in the developed world.
Yes - my opinion and conclusion as well.

Maverick3320
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by Maverick3320 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:40 pm

furwut wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:47 am
notinuse wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:37 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:33 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am
HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm
Yes - that would be interesting if after the smoke clears, it's ruled that the mandate has to be enforced - do we get a 2019 rebate since the pricing was based on less younger members in the pool. There are also some indications of companies making money on the plans so that points to more stabilization.
I got a rebate this year.

Companies must spend at least 80% of the premiums they collect on healthcare, rather than administration (percentage can be higher in some states). If they don't, then they send out rebates.

If an unexpected burst of younger, presumably healthier, members join your plan, you may get a rebate for the same reason.
I think that is true of Medicare, but not otherwise.
According to this link, ACA policies are subject to the 80/20 rule. https://www.healthcare.gov/health-care- ... te-review/
Medicare’s administrative overhead is something like 2%. So, roughly, 10 times more efficient as a payer.
The efficiency you are quoting is really meaningless. If you tell healthcare providers/insurers that you are capping prices on individual "events" (doc visits, tests, etc), they will simply approve more healthcare events per capita. These "caps" are also what are pushing the small-time providers out of business.

It's the height of economic foolishness to try and control costs by fiat. The government is trying to play a whack-a-mole game with literally millions of different prices. It's the Soviet Union economy imposed on a terribly unhealthy population.

BruDude
Posts: 2794
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by BruDude » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:46 pm

hicabob wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 pm
BruDude wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:54 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:20 pm
BruDude wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:07 pm
A plan that pays $200/day for a hospital room isn't a short-term plan, it's a limited-benefit plan. There are short-term plans that work exactly like regular health insurance plans. For 2019, some companies will be offering 364-day short-term plans.
Not sure what you mean by "regular health insurance plans", but the newly approved short term plans generally do not work exactly like regular health insurance plans that are subject to ACA rules. Some major differences are that they are medically underwritten, generally don't cover pre-existing conditions, generally do not cover essential heath benefits, may impose life-time or annual limits, etc.

https://khn.org/news/trump-administrati ... lth-plans/

https://www.kff.org/health-reform/issue ... insurance/
I meant the way the benefits work - deductible first, then co-insurance, then 100% coverage. The poster above me noted that some plans pay "$200/day for hospitalization" which is what limited-benefit plans do, not regular short-term health insurance plans.

Bru - I have called up a few local health insurance reps. They don't even deal with the short term plans - just covered california which is our ACA. Web searches just return the virtually useless $200/day hospitalization plans for $250/month or so and result in massive amounts of emails/phone calls from what sound like very low level employees. Do you have any links to these new cheaper policies you speak of that still provide good insurance at less than unsubsidized ACA rates for those of us with minimal pre-existings?
I don't know anything about what's available in California, they are usually much tougher on insurance rules than other states so short-term plans may not even be available there.

The companies I have used for short-term plans this past year were Petersen International (they stopped selling plans in March), Pivot Health, and United Healthcare, but UHC didn't have 360-day policies available....though they may for 2019.

User avatar
tfb
Posts: 7963
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by tfb » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:01 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:25 pm
hicabob wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 pm
Bru - I have called up a few local health insurance reps. They don't even deal with the short term plans - just covered california which is our ACA. Web searches just return the virtually useless $200/day hospitalization plans for $250/month or so and result in massive amounts of emails/phone calls from what sound like very low level employees. Do you have any links to these new cheaper policies you speak of that still provide good insurance at less than unsubsidized ACA rates for those of us with minimal pre-existings?
If you are in California, you may want to look into SB-910, which apparently bans short term insurance plans in CA.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/ar ... 169686.php

I don’t know if it has been signed yet by Gov. Brown, and if not, we should probably avoid discussion of its merits to avoid violating forum rules. The only reason I am posting this is to potentionally save you time searching for something that just doesn’t exist in your state.
It was signed.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/health-la ... alth-plans
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48568
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:32 pm

^^^ Thanks.

I removed an off-topic post conjecturing on the social impacts of the unenforced ACA mandate. Please stay on-topic, which is the pricing. General rants or discussions of what "might happen" are off-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 5855
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by bottlecap » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:10 pm

Maverick3320 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:30 pm

It may also have to do with lifestyles of the covered. The population is getting older, and 40% of American adults are now obese (in 1990, it was less than 15%). You could make a good argument that Americans have the worst lifestyles in the developed world.
A quick google search proves this wrong. Not that the US isn't up there. But so are many other comparable countries.

JT

Maverick3320
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by Maverick3320 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:45 am

bottlecap wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:10 pm
Maverick3320 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:30 pm

It may also have to do with lifestyles of the covered. The population is getting older, and 40% of American adults are now obese (in 1990, it was less than 15%). You could make a good argument that Americans have the worst lifestyles in the developed world.
A quick google search proves this wrong. Not that the US isn't up there. But so are many other comparable countries.

JT
Source? My "quick google search" shows the following:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-u ... 2017-05-19 (Based on OECD data)
http://www.oecd.org/health/obesity-update.htm
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... -lifestyle

38% of American adults are obese (based on 2015 data). The nearest country is Mexico, at 32%. The nearest "peer" country (in terms of economic development) would be New Zealand, at 30%.

User avatar
Hayden
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by Hayden » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:12 am

I found the rates published on the State website. The increase is about 30%.

For some reason, they are reducing the deductible on my bronze HSA plan. I'd rather have a higher deductible.

retired recently
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by retired recently » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Family of 3 in NC. We have yet to have insurance ever pay anything for any of us (after 9 years) and so far we are all in great health. Not overweight, physically active, no smoking, etc.

Our rate increased by 19 percent over last year. Now it is 820 per month. Deductible is a bit over 5k ind., 10 k family.

It is a lot of money...

retired recently
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by retired recently » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:15 pm

duplicate
Last edited by retired recently on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaeljc70
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Illinois is supposed to be flat. I don't think you can see actual prices for actual plans yet though, so I am hoping my plan stays close to flat.

hicabob
Posts: 2716
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: 2019 ACA prices out

Post by hicabob » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:30 pm

I was chatting to a quite high income friend this AM and he mentioned his wife just turned 65 and signed up for medicare. Her payment will be $700/month so perhaps my current $700 , soon to be $800 is not too bad.

Post Reply