Medical Bill and Credit Card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
kdiom

Medical Bill and Credit Card

Post by kdiom » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi, I have a medical bill of about $10K that is due soon. While I have the cash to pay it, I can pay it with a credit card as well if I want. Is there any credit card that would provide good travel bonuses or cash back rewards that I can open to pay this medical bill? I would pay off the bill completely during the first billing period if I went this route. Thanks for your help.

TravelGeek

Re: Medical Bill and Credit Card

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:30 pm

Plenty of cards that either offer 2% cash back or travel rewards. With $10k spend, assuming you can split it over multiple cards, you can even get multiple sign-up bonuses from different cards/banks since the spend required to get the bonus tends be in the $1000-$5000 range. The best choices depend on how you would use the miles/points. E.g., what are the airlines/hotels you otherwise prefer?

Can you negotiate a discount for paying cash?

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:47 pm

Chase Sapphire Reserve/Premier
AMEX Gold/Platinum
Citi Thank You Premier
Capital One Venture
Barclaycard Arrival Plus
Airline Cards depending on your hub

kdiom

Post by kdiom » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks for the info. Good idea to split the expenses on multiple cards. I'll check to see if they will allow that.

Already asked for a discount if paid in cash, but they said no. I'm actually a physician that admits patients to this hospital and there is no discount for that either.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:07 pm

Agree that the sign up bonus is likely better than the 2% reward you will get from the credit cards. We have really liked Chase Sapphire cards, as they provide free PRIMARY collision damage so you can refuse the CDW when renting cars. They also allow you to apply their UR points toward any program--airline or hotel that you prefer. They also have the extra purchase protection and extended warranty protection and trip delay and cancellation insurance.

We also like the USAA 2.5% cashback credit card, but they generally have no or very little signing bonus.

Chase Ink is a good card, as it gives 5% back for certain things, like utility bills and WiFi, I believe.

FlyerTalk and FatWallet generally have threads about the best current signing bonuses for credit cards, especially if you like travel rewards.

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:41 am

kdiom wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:05 pm
Thanks for the info. Good idea to split the expenses on multiple cards. I'll check to see if they will allow that.

Already asked for a discount if paid in cash, but they said no. I'm actually a physician that admits patients to this hospital and there is no discount for that either.
I think I would go with a card like Citi Prestige (or similar high end cc product.) The 10k spend might get you some discount on the $450 annual fee. Or maybe not :D

OT but interesting that you are a physician, but get no discount as a patient. You might enjoy ready Atul Gawande's -CEO of Berkshire, Amazon, Citi venture. At El Paso, TX, one doc to suggest he receive a six figure "gratuity" for directing his patients to a certain hospital. https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... drum-redux
No Where for Very Long...