Any consultants out there who do work in CA from out-of-state?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
the11diesel

Any consultants out there who do work in CA from out-of-state?

Post by the11diesel »

Hi Bogleheads-

This is a shot in the dark, but I am a partner in a two-person consulting firm that just got a project in California. It appears that CA has some unique filing requirements when you perform work there from out-of-state, but I'm having trouble identifying the specifics on the internet. Obviously, in a two-person consulting firm, we don't have a legal department, so I'm trying to avoid that expense if possible.

So, my question to all is, if you have been in a similar situation (i.e., worked in CA from out of state), can you provide any guidance to what the filing requirements are (e.g., is it required to be registered with the secretary of state).

Again, I know this is a shot in the dark, but I'm continuously amazed by the cumulative knowledge of this forum, so I thought someone out there may have been in a similar situation. Thanks in advance for your comments.

-RJ
niceguy7376

Re: Any consultants out there who do work in CA from out-of-state?

Post by niceguy7376 »

If your company places an employee at a CA client site, then your company needs to register in CA and at end of year file a yearly return with a min 1k fee (to Franchise Board).

Accordingly, you need to have Company Insurance for the CA location.