CA tax question with treasuries ..

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Peppergrass

CA tax question with treasuries ..

Post by Peppergrass »

Hi guys,

wondering on something..

say I had all income from treasuries, lets say 1 million.. if I went and produced any other income, does it get charged at top CA tax rate ( 13.3% ) even though treasuries got no CA tax?

I'm guessing yes, as AGI would say 1 mill right?
Thesaints

Re: CA tax question with treasuries ..

Post by Thesaints »

Income from treasuries is not reported on your 540. So, no, you would be taxed not considering that income, but have a look at the CA AMT rules, anyway.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

I'm voting w/ Thesaints . CA return starts w/Fed AGI . It then makes adjustments on Sch CA where the treasury interest gets subtracted out leading to the CA AGI w/ only the other income to be taxed at the lower brackets.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I think the OP may be thinking about foreign earned income exclusion and the high marginal rate assigned to the non excluded income.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

kaneohe wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:24 pm I'm voting w/ Thesaints . CA return starts w/Fed AGI . It then makes adjustments on Sch CA where the treasury interest gets subtracted out leading to the CA AGI w/ only the other income to be taxed at the lower brackets.
I must be glazing over something. Why are there Calif Tax Exempt bond funds if Treasury bond funds are completely tax exempt in California?
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

TimeRunner wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:22 pm
kaneohe wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:24 pm I'm voting w/ Thesaints . CA return starts w/Fed AGI . It then makes adjustments on Sch CA where the treasury interest gets subtracted out leading to the CA AGI w/ only the other income to be taxed at the lower brackets.
I must be glazing over something. Why are there Calif Tax Exempt bond funds if Treasury bond funds are completely tax exempt in California?
Federal Taxes
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

retiringwhen wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:38 pm
TimeRunner wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:22 pm
Federal Taxes
j I was thinking US Treasuries were exempt from Federal Taxes. You're right, they aren't. :oops:
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Topic Author
Peppergrass

Post by Peppergrass »

Thank you guys. I’m asking as family is looking to move to CA. So I have no clue as I come from the wonderful land of no income tax ( WA )

I will check out CA AMT as I didn’t know about that either... not a big worry though as I was wondering where my other money gets taxed at and should for sure fall above AMT lines but I’ll have a look.

You guys stun me with the replies and quality here as always