Where to put saving for retirement house?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Tayskiing

Where to put saving for retirement house?

Post by Tayskiing » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Hello Bogleheads!
I could use some advise on where to put my saving for a retirement home. I am 2.5 yrs (30 months) from retirement and plan on moving to CO from CA and buying my retirement home. In the next 2.5 years, I plan on saving $255,000 and wasn't sure if I should just put it in a savings/MMMF or if I should put it into my Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX) or something that would give more return than a savings/MMMF.

In addition, I will be selling my 2 rental houses and current home to buy the retirement home. Wondering if there's a way to keep from paying the capital gains tax on the rentals.

Monthly savings approx $8500

Appreciate any advise.
Thank you.

welderwannabe

Re: Where to put saving for retirement house?

Post by welderwannabe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Tayskiing wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:31 pm
Hello Bogleheads!
I could use some advise on where to put my saving for a retirement home. I am 2.5 yrs (30 months) from retirement and plan on moving to CO from CA and buying my retirement home. In the next 2.5 years, I plan on saving $255,000 and wasn't sure if I should just put it in a savings/MMMF or if I should put it into my Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX) or something that would give more return than a savings/MMMF.

In addition, I will be selling my 2 rental houses and current home to buy the retirement home. Wondering if there's a way to keep from paying the capital gains tax on the rentals.

Monthly savings approx $8500

Appreciate any advise.
Thank you.
Sure, you can stick it in VTSAX or an S&P500 fund but I wouldn't do it if I was in your shoes. Money with a 2.5 year time horizon shouldn't be in equities.

I would put it in a MMF or possibly roll 6 month or 1 Year treasury bills (especially with CA's income tax rate). You could stick it in a 2 year treasury note, currently paying about 2.7% and it is also state tax free.

I wouldn't get any more fancy than that if I was in your shoes.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

delamer

Post by delamer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Money that you need in 2.5 years should not be in stocks.

Generally, stocks should only be used if you are at least 5 years out from spending the money.

Topic Author
Tayskiing

Post by Tayskiing » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Thanks for the inputs! I do not have any state tax since I'm in the military stationed in CA. So, still only put it into MMMF or possibly treasury note?

momvesting

Post by momvesting » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Talk to an accountant, but you may be able to sell the rental properties now and do a 1031 exchange in to your retirement home if that home is purchased and used as a rental for 2+ years. This can be a path to avoid capital gains on the rental properties but you need the advice of a qualified accountant to not mess it up, I just know that yes, there is a way.

GeoffD

Post by GeoffD » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:52 pm

You can get 2.50% on a 1 year CD. I have my emergency fund parked at Ally Bank in a 1.85% savings account and laddered 1 year CDs. 1 year treasuries are a smidge more than Ally Bank is paying for 1 year CDs. 2.562%. 2 year Treasuries are 2.786% at the moment.

Topic Author
Tayskiing

Post by Tayskiing » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:17 am

Again, thanks for the inputs.
I have read up on 1031 and not sure if that's the way for me since I don't want our retirement to be a rental and not sure if we want to take out a rental investment loan (I think that would be a higher rate than a primary home loan). I think the capital gains tax would not be too much - if I'm not mistaken, the amount taxed is the selling price - purchase price - cost of selling the house. Plus the tax is 15-20% based upon your income? Not to sure... will have to read more up on that when I'm ready to sell in 2 year, 8 months, and 15 days... not that I'm counting to when I retire.

As for CD's, that maybe a way to go since then I won't be tempted to touch the $ until I'm ready to buy. The problem is, is that the $ will be a monthly savings of about $8,000-$8,500 and so didn't want to take out a CD each month.

Maybe in a year when I have $100,000 then maybe get a 1 year CD.