Does this job exist (another want-to-quit-corporate-world thread)?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
nick evets

Does this job exist (another want-to-quit-corporate-world thread)?

Post by nick evets » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Apologies for starting a similar thread to many others, but would value some feedback specific to my situation.

1) I'm 53 with a successful career in the IT industry, but burned out.
2) My wife is 58 and has a job she loves, but it's 4.5 hours away. She commutes on weekends, works alternate weeks at home. etc. This is a source of stress; mostly for me, and extra expense with a second property/mortgage/etc., on the remote apt.
3) I figure in 3-5 years we will be reasonably FI, on our current path -- we have no children.

However, I would be willing to walk away from job and do something I like better even (or especially?) at a reduced salary for the next 10 years. Ideally:
a) offer considerable flexibility in terms of hours: periods of long breaks would be ideal (eg, 1 month on/1 month off).
b) be outside; somewhat physical. While I don't have construction experience, I like working with my hands, and being outdoors, although I'd like something that would still require thought and creativity.
c) not require years of training or apprenticeship.

Something that allow me to earn $30-50k/yr. so I wouldn't have to touch our portfolio early would be ideal. If the work were community-oriented in nature, even better, as I feel at some point I should start "giving back."

The recent (and terrible) hurricane Florence has me wondering about becoming an insurance adjuster. I know many are contractors -- how hard is it to break into this job?

Thx!

KlangFool

Re: Does this job exist (another want-to-quit-corporate-world thread)?

Post by KlangFool » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:31 pm

OP,

Why don't you work on IT project as a part-time consultant remotely?

KlangFool

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:41 pm

nick evets wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:27 pm
Apologies for starting a similar thread to many others, but would value some feedback specific to my situation.

2) My wife is 58 and has a job she loves, but it's 4.5 hours away. She commutes on weekends, works alternate weeks at home. etc. This is a source of stress; mostly for me, and extra expense with a second property/mortgage/etc., on the remote apt.
3) I figure in 3-5 years we will be reasonably FI, on our current path -- we have no children.

However, I would be willing to walk away from job and do something I like better even (or especially?) at a reduced salary for the next 10 years. Ideally:
a) offer considerable flexibility in terms of hours: periods of long breaks would be ideal (eg, 1 month on/1 month off).
b) be outside; somewhat physical. While I don't have construction experience, I like working with my hands, and being outdoors, although I'd like something that would still require thought and creativity.

Something that allow me to earn $30-50k/yr. so I wouldn't have to touch our portfolio early would be ideal. If the work were community-oriented in nature, even better, as I feel at some point I should start "giving back."

The recent (and terrible) hurricane Florence has me wondering about becoming an insurance adjuster. I know many are contractors -- how hard is it to break into this job?

Thx!
The only job I can think of that match your description is flipping homes. With no experience that is a very very risky thing to get into. I would stick it out with your job. I can't imagine anyone wanting to hire someone 1 month on and 1 month off. That's just not realistic.

warner25

Post by warner25 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:06 pm

How about doing IT work as a contractor in a war-zone? I don't have any specific leads, but I can imagine that such jobs might exist: rotating into a place like Afghanistan for 30 to 180 days at a time and getting paid well for it. It might even involve spending time outside working on the physical network and living in a tent. Actually, I can imagine this sort of opportunity with any non-governmental organization that operates in harsh places around the world.

In the near future, the National Guard may allow someone like you to join at a rank commensurate with your experience to do cyber-security work. A significant number of Guardsmen repeatedly volunteer to activate for short periods of time instead of holding regular full-time jobs.

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Offshore oil rig roughneck? I'm not sure how much thought and creativity it requires, but fits your other criteria with even higher pay.

tj

Post by tj » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:54 pm

I don't know about the contractors, but I've applied to some adjuster positions. A lot of the reviews online sound like they are intense- overworked and underpaid.

I can't believe this would be a stress free position for you.

STINGRAY75

Post by STINGRAY75 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:26 am

Become a full time RV’r and a workcamper closer to your wife’s job. Workcamping pays the lot rent and maybe a bit of compensation Add contract IT work to the mix for more income.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:33 am

nick evets wrote:

Thx!

Mailman.

That's my fantasy, 2nd career, post high tech job....
Tax Sheltered: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 30% TTM || Taxable: 35% US Stock | 35% ex-US Stock | 15% TTM | 15% Munis

GCD

Post by GCD » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:29 am

Government yardwork?

My wife and I walk our dog in a nearby park. This retired dude who used to walk there got badgered into mowing lawns for the county. He makes about 40K and they love him because he actually mows lawns instead of screwing off all day. That 40K is full time, but he says he could trim down the hours and has total flexibility on hours/amount of hours as long as he doesn't claim overtime. He submits his timesheet from home and nobody checks to see if he actually worked his hours or not. He says the county is getting ripped off blind by unscrupulous employees. Not that you would exploit the system, but it does seem manipulable.

In the winter he plows snow. If there is no grass or no snow he sits around and BSs with the other employees.

USFS and NPS have all kinds of seasonal work that is lightweight. Wildland firefighting may be a bit much at age 53, but there's lighter stuff.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am

tj wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:54 pm
I don't know about the contractors, but I've applied to some adjuster positions. A lot of the reviews online sound like they are intense- overworked and underpaid.

I can't believe this would be a stress free position for you.
+1. One of my closest friends is an insurance adjuster. His job does not match your parameters. He spent about 6 months working 12 hour days in California after last year's wildfires. He's in the Carolinas now. His family has no idea when they'll see him again. They tend to fly out to visit him from time to time wherever he is. There's zero creativity in what he does, and he spends most of his time making phone calls to displaced homeowners from crappy motel rooms. Edited to add: But I think he makes much more than $30-50K a year. He works for one of the biggest firms. Google "insurance adjuster" and his company will likely be top of the list.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:31 am

nick evets wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is that the median household income in the US is only a bit less than $60K so a job that pays $30-50K a year for part time work would be a pretty exceptional job and would likely be hard to get.

I have posted this before but I know people that worked in IT that were laid off in their 50's during a recession that could not find other IT jobs. They took jobs as school bus drivers. It did not pay a lot but it came with benefits and they got summers and school holidays off and that seemed to work for them as a bridge job to retirement. At least around here they are always looking for school bus drivers since it does not pay enough for people that need a full time job.
KlangFool wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:31 pm
Why don't you work on IT project as a part-time consultant remotely?
+1
nick evets wrote:
I have known people that worked in construction and by the time they are in their 50's the physical aspects of it are getting real challenging.

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:56 am

Prioritize finding something that allows you and your wife to live full-time in the same place. If she loves her job, then keep just one apt/house near there and figure out something for yourself in that area.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:22 am

Property manager at a Small company. Time spent at properties meeting prospective tenants or arranging maintenance. Slow fall and holiday seasons. If you limit your number of clients you can do this only part time.

tj

Post by tj » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:56 am

ladders11 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:22 am
Property manager at a Small company. Time spent at properties meeting prospective tenants or arranging maintenance. Slow fall and holiday seasons. If you limit your number of clients you can do this only part time.
I thought this would be fun. How do you gain credibility and find clients?

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:44 am

Something that revolves around the school schedule is your best bet in my opinion for the time off. Could be a teacher but that isn't outside. Maybe something to do with extra curricular activities with kids combined with something else like bus driver? Maybe a sports referee (you'd be working every day during the season long hours) but then you have off when the sport isn't playing? You could supplement with some other type of job.

Reelescape1

Post by Reelescape1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:32 pm

Mobile (self-employed) handyman comes to mind.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Early-retired blogger.

The seasonal USFS and NPS jobs can be difficult to get. I cannot imagine they would be suitable for the OP.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:41 am

Thx all - some interesting suggestions.

As I'm in management, my tech skills are a little rusty, and the whole point of leaving my current career is NOT to spend more time in front of a display, in a cubicle doing IT work, which somewhat rules-out contract work. (Though it would allow me to co-habituate with my wife again(!)).

Hmm...maybe insurance adjuster isn't what I thought; living for weeks/months in a budget motels on the road, doesn't seem like fun.

I like the idea of property management, and will try to explore more. And, while I'm an "OK" handyman, don't really have the experience to hang out a shingle or tackle house remodeling and flipping (which otherwise seems like a cool idea). I've not asked a builder I know, but I get the strong vibe that for entry-level tradesmen, they're NOT looking for 50+ year-old guys who want to dabble part-time. :)

I also have an idea for selling items (non-food) out of a cargo trailer, but it would involve parking on public property, and have no idea at the moment how to start researching this idea. Searching for "concessions" or "mobile vendors" seems to mostly point to food sales or food trucks. Anyway have experience here?

Finally, wife and I spent some time with the budget. If we can consolidate households, I could probably get by with an after-tax (net) income of $25k-30k a year. I wouldn't obviously be able to contribute to our retirement portfolio, but wouldn't need to touch it, either.

Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:32 am

Depending on where you live you could "work on the river".

There is a guy I work with that was a crewman on a barge tug. He was one month on, one month off. You got on the boat and you stayed on the boat until your trip was finished.

It was a lot of outside work with your hands and you got to see the river every day. He would take a barge up the Mississippi and then onto one or more of the tributaries. Coal or grain or other bulk items.

He only quit because he wanted to spend more time with his children, otherwise he liked it.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:49 am

nick evets wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:41 am
Thx all - some interesting suggestions.

As I'm in management, my tech skills are a little rusty, and the whole point of leaving my current career is NOT to spend more time in front of a display, in a cubicle doing IT work, which somewhat rules-out contract work. (Though it would allow me to co-habituate with my wife again(!)).

Hmm...maybe insurance adjuster isn't what I thought; living for weeks/months in a budget motels on the road, doesn't seem like fun.

I like the idea of property management, and will try to explore more. And, while I'm an "OK" handyman, don't really have the experience to hang out a shingle or tackle house remodeling and flipping (which otherwise seems like a cool idea). I've not asked a builder I know, but I get the strong vibe that for entry-level tradesmen, they're NOT looking for 50+ year-old guys who want to dabble part-time. :)

I also have an idea for selling items (non-food) out of a cargo trailer, but it would involve parking on public property, and have no idea at the moment how to start researching this idea. Searching for "concessions" or "mobile vendors" seems to mostly point to food sales or food trucks. Anyway have experience here?

Finally, wife and I spent some time with the budget. If we can consolidate households, I could probably get by with an after-tax (net) income of $25k-30k a year. I wouldn't obviously be able to contribute to our retirement portfolio, but wouldn't need to touch it, either.
nick evets,

In my opinion, it is easier for you to do a typical 120K to 150K IT job/contract at 25% of the time in order to earn 25K to 30K per year versus try to earn 25K to 30K at 50% or full-time on a non-IT job. And, it does not have to be an IT technical job. It could be IT management related.

KlangFool

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 am

There's a tremendous need for forensic IT investigators/analysts in my city. You could set up a private company doing as much or as little of that sort of work as you'd like. It's sort of like being a private eye, but with computers. My law firm has a guy who does this stuff in house for us, but there are a lot of solo lawyers out there who have to hire all of it out.

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 am

nick evets wrote:

Thx!
I retired from Hi-Tech and it's been brutal since about 2004. All my old friends in their 50s are saying the same thing your are. My advice (for what's worth) Try to stay with it for another 2 years at least while looking for other gigs. Changing careers at this point has more downside than upside. I think your best bet besides a new company, is contracting in IT. After two years in retirement I was asked to consult. (many reasons but that's another thread) Anyway I took it on the condition of remote work only and I will not supervise anybody.

GCD

Post by GCD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:04 am

nick evets wrote:
1) I'm 53

What kind of shape are you in physically? Can you define "somewhat physical"?

I definitely get your desire to make a complete break from what you have been doing for a career so far. When I retired I went back to school to pursue a PhD in my field and then decided I wanted to do something completely different in retirement. So I made a pretty sharp turn at that point.

I worked a variety of outside jobs in my youth and one of them was self-employed with total control of my schedule. Some of them would work for a 50 something guy depending on your level of fitness.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:08 am

Consider this another vote for sticking it out.

I don't really like my IT job all that much, but it pays the bills and every year I get a little bit closer to retirement.

Could you work remotely for a week every month, or every two months? If so, you could join your wife in her remote location. Both of you could work during the day, then explore the area restaurants and attractions at night.

GCD

Post by GCD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:16 am

livesoft wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:47 pm
Early-retired blogger.

The seasonal USFS and NPS jobs can be difficult to get. I cannot imagine they would be suitable for the OP.
This is an interesting perspective. Did you ever work for one of these agencies or even for the federal government? I ask because I see the view that "government jobs are hard to get" posted on BH occasionally. I've been employed by three fed agencies and offered jobs by 2 more fed agencies, several state agencies and a city. I just don't see the difficulty in getting these jobs. I've also seen and worked with many unexceptional people in government at all levels.

Ironically, the one govt. job I did get turned down for was a NPS ranger position, but that was in the pre-internet days and I didn't know how to game the application process. Had I known then what I know now I would have gotten hired for that too. I just don't see the truth in "govt jobs are hard to get."

However... this is all wasted rumination with regard to the current topic. I looked at what they are paying part time people and the pay is so low that OP couldn't hit his minimum while working part-time hours. My bad on that!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:34 am

No, I never had one of these jobs.

I spent a week living with seasonal NPS rangers in Yellowstone. During that time they described how they got their jobs, how they had to re-apply every year, how the government hiring freeze was affecting them. Since one of them was a veteran, that person got extra points and preference. The other was actually a retired veterinarian. These were well-qualified people and had been doing this for many seasons, but it is still a PITA.

I went camping for a week with 2 friends who work for the National Forest Service full time. They are much younger than the seasonal park rangers I just mentioned. These folks are also well-qualified with degrees in Forestry or something similar. They felt lucky to have the jobs they had.

I suspect that it is easier to get a job in the concessions / cafeteria of a National Park. The folks that I talked to that had these jobs were often from eastern Europe on a temp work visa. They lived in dorms in the parks. The concessionaires win government contracts to run the places and then hire the waiters, the maids, the custodians, etc.

And you are right: The OP probably would not like the pay, hours, hassles of these jobs. The OP seems to want an easy job where they set their own hours, get paid well, have no boss, and kind of do what they want. Maybe they should be a hunting/fishing guide? Of course, clients are quite demanding, so that's a stressful life. And you can get killed on the job, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

chenzi

Post by chenzi » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:54 am

I am in mid 30s and my wife is in early 30s - i cant imagine doing IT job for another 20 years. I work on "latest" technologies in a top 5 firm but since I moved to management its full of soulless meetings all day, politics or shepherding team - i actually do not accomplish anything of "value" to this world! The jobs pay us quite well as of now ($500K+ for each of us), so hoping to save crazy and figure out the mythical exit plan.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:58 am

Become the lawn mowing and snow blower guy for people in your neighborhood. My guy is 70ish and does 20 or so houses around here. He works 3-4 days a week. He gets $150 per month for summers and $400 per house for snow blowing.

Before his wife passed away they did full home and rental management of several properties that were vacation rented or long term rented. She did the marketing and rental paperwork. He did the maintenance stuff plus some small repairs. They made a good living.

You might also look into becoming a home or business property appraiser. My brother did this part time when he early retired. He got certified and learned the processes in about a year. He made good money when he worked.

There are also tons of small businesses and legal firms and others that need IT and Web master support work but do not have full time people so they want low cost contract help. They prefer adults who are responsible for this work vs the usual college kid.

Good Luck

Cloudy

Post by Cloudy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:43 am

A friend of mine got burned out in IT and recently left his job. He works for a surveyor now and he loves it. At 5pm he's done for the day. No crisis bridges, meetings, or stress of any kind. I think he said it pays 22/hr to start and for him that was acceptable.

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:35 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:34 am
The OP seems to want an easy job where they set their own hours, get paid well, have no boss, and kind of do what they want.
Well...who wouldn't? But I'm not sure why you reached that conclusion about me, specifically. :) I'm not adverse to hard work -- far from it. I want it to be hard work I enjoy, however. I've had a good career with a megacorp, and am at the crossroads. Keep going as is for 3+(?) more years, and achieve true FI, or find something I really enjoy that provides much more flexibility that I could do for many years to come.

While at some level it seems easiest to just keep going forward, confounding factors are being separated from my wife during the week (it's actually not that many days, but I worry about her traveling, and the logistics are tedious after a couple years, now), and some moderate job burn-out.

As some have suggested, I can explore getting more flexibility at work -- every other month, or something. That would be more of an ultimatum, though, so I need to have another plan in place. And, even if I stick it out for the next couple of years, I'd be 55 or 56 when retiring, and: then what? Certainly some volunteer work, but it would be nice to also be paid for effort, and get 'extra' money for indulgent spending perhaps, outside our plan.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Have you ever tried an art or craft as a hobby before? Something like woodworking or metal working could be done outdoors, and if you go with primitive tools, can require some muscle. And definitely some skills, but those can be developed.

I have some retired friends who do that, and my wife and I are toying with it. They don't make much, but they travel around they country and sell at craft shows,and they can deduct their travel expenses. They also sell on Etsy and ebay.

One lady I know combines that with buying stuff at flea markets, etc, to resell on-line.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

220volt

Post by 220volt » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:56 pm

Mobile car wash/detailer. Low startup cost. Set your own hours. Work outside.
"If I had only followed the advice of financial analysts in 2008, I'd have a million dollars today, provided I started with a hundred million dollars" - Jon Stewart

GT99

Post by GT99 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:44 pm

A few thoughts...
1. A good friend who is "pseudo-retired" teaches Excel classes a few days per month. He's partnered with a local training company, and does 2-3 full day classes for them per month, and he'll do a private class at local businesses he connects with through contacts about once a month (that's where the money is). The pay is much better than I would have thought (I'm blanking on the exact amount he told me, but it's a great hourly rate). Obviously doesn't have to be Excel, but if getting into training classes could be an idea.

2. My mother, who was a stay at home mom, went back to work as an empty-nester with no real marketable skills, and she went to work as an aid at a high school. The pay wasn't good, but she worked 32-36 hours a week for ~75% of the year, got great healthcare benefits AND after 10 years, she was able to retire with healthcare benefits for life, which is obviously huge. Not sure how easy it is to get jobs like this, but there are a lot out there (obviously not just in schools).

3. Managers often tend to be process focused. Being a part time consultant implementing/overhauling processes for IT groups is a thought (something I've thought about doing personally). Implementing Agile, change control, portfolio management, support processes, etc. If I were to do this, I'd approach IT consulting companies to sell them on my skills, and them have them sell me. Relatively short engagements, with long breaks in between.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:58 pm

I think you've got the right idea. You could kill yourself trying to make it through the next 3-5 years, or you could survive but then realize that a life of leisure isn't all it's cracked up to be. Instead, switching to something that won't kill you and will provide you with a source of some income, fulfilment and occupation sounds like a great recipe for health and happiness.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Riffing on thepost above. Udemy.com offers all types of classes. I’ve Signed up for 2 excel classes and am enjoying the first right now. The regular prices are unrealistic but they have great sales. My classes ended up being 10.99 each. Also have some web stuff purchased.

Record some classes in something you know. See if you can’t make some passive money.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 pm

I know people that became adjusters after Katrina with little experience. I think that was only temporary, though.

Having a few part-time jobs would get you into the $30k - $50k year range. School bus driver + seasonal mail/package delivery + lawn mowing come to mind for what you're looking for.