Taxes Paid on Savings Account

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
bullsdoc

Taxes Paid on Savings Account

Post by bullsdoc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Hey all,

Hoping to get some clarification on what taxes must be paid on investment income from a savings account interest. Is this subject to federal, state, and local income taxes if your area has them? Is it subject to FICA? Thank you for the help

Gill

Re: Taxes Paid on Savings Account

Post by Gill » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Subject to all except FICA.
Gill

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Gill wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:54 pm
Gill
Gill, I can't believe that I have found something in your post that might not be correct. City income tax may or may not include investment income, depending on local laws. As an example, for Saginaw, MI, such interest is not taxed:

"Another major difference between local income taxes and federal or state taxes is that most local taxes are collected only on earned income, and not on capital gains or other non-earned income like interest and dividends."

My source: http://www.tax-rates.org/michigan/saginaw-income-tax

bullsdoc

Post by bullsdoc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Thanks so much. Any idea on a good place to find this information? I can't seem to find if I need to pay local taxes on interest from a savings account or capital gains in my area.

Additional quick question if possible: Assuming the above is taxed locally, are muni bonds within the state exempt from local taxes as well as state/federal taxes? Thanks again for any help here.

spectec

Post by spectec » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:52 pm

You'd get a better answer if you said what city & state you live in.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Call your city tax office and ask them directly. You’ll get a better answer than you’ll get from us.

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:15 pm

bullsdoc wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:46 pm
Thanks so much. Any idea on a good place to find this information?
Your city tax form. If one does not exist, you aren't taxed by the city.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:33 am

RudyS wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:44 pm
Gill wrote:
Gill
Gill, I can't believe that I have found something in your post that might not be correct. City income tax may or may not include investment income, depending on local laws. As an example, for Saginaw, MI, such interest is not taxed:

"Another major difference between local income taxes and federal or state taxes is that most local taxes are collected only on earned income, and not on capital gains or other non-earned income like interest and dividends."

Thanks, Rudy. You’re right. My oversight. Mea culpa!
Gill

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:28 am

Gill wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:33 am
RudyS wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:44 pm
Gill wrote:
Gill

Thanks, Rudy. You’re right. My oversight. Mea culpa!
Gill
Thanks, Gill. The only reason I was aware of this is through my work as a Taxaide counselor. Just one of the "pay-offs" of volunteering.

trueblueky

Post by trueblueky » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:53 pm

We need to know the state.

Some states allow a local tax on earned income -- PA and KY come to mind. This allows the city to raise funds from commuters who use the city's streets, fire, police, etc., but who live in the suburbs.

Some states have a local tax that is figured as a line on the state tax form -- IA and MD come to mind. For those, anything taxable to the state is taxable to the locality.