Considering moving to Irvine - looking for neighborhood recommendations

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
techlion

Considering moving to Irvine - looking for neighborhood recommendations

Post by techlion » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Hello Bogleheads,

I'm considering moving to the Irvine, CA area and I'm looking for recommendations on which area/neighborhood to settle in.

Key points:

- 36yo, married, 2-year old son
- $350K income, $1M in retirement/taxable assets
- Excellent school district and short commute (~20min) are my primary requirements.
- My office location would be near the airport (southeast side).
- 3 or 4 bdr SFH, ~2,000 sqft with back yard.
- Home purchase budget: up to $1.2M

I'm planning to spend a week in the area next month and I'd love to get a list of neighborhoods to take a closer look while I'm there. I'd also consider renting for a year prior to purchasing.

Any recommendations?

stan1

Re: Considering moving to Irvine - looking for neighborhood recommendations

Post by stan1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Much of Irvine will fit those parameters except for the highest cost areas south of the 405 and newest areas with 3000-5000 square foot houses. Closer to the airport (assuming you mean SNA) is the older parts of Irvine. Homes have gotten larger as the price of property has gone up over the last 30 years. Larger homes justify the asking price and builders as well as new home buyers seem to be convinced. You'll have more luck finding a 2000 square foot home with a yard in the older parts such as Woodbridge (especially if by yard you mean something more than a patio). There's a big difference between houses built in Woodbridge in the 1980s and houses built north of I5 mostly in the 2000s-2010s. Because of the way Irvine was developed you'll find very nice small neighborhoods of single family homes all over but you may have apartments or a retail center very close. You might get lucky and find something in a lower priced pocket neighborhood between larger, more expensive homes and apartments south of the 405 also. There are newer houses north of the 5 but your commute will be longer. Some will be larger than what you want to buy.

Dollarsign16

Post by Dollarsign16 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:55 pm

Grew up in the area and went to local schools through HS. Schools are excellent and I still enjoy visiting family that live in OC (although I will say the build up and development has made the traffic pretty rough). You can take surface streets to the airport though and avoid the freeways.

There are numerous neighborhoods that would fit the bill. Have family in Park Paseo... older homes near new developments but will fit nicely in your price range. Lower HOA fees and great amenities with community pools and tennis courts. There are walking trails that are very popular.

Feel free to message me if you'd like.
Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don’t want..to impress people they don’t like. –Will Rogers

jarfykk

Post by jarfykk » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:25 am

Irvine has most of its area with homes fitting your requirements. HIGHLY recommend renting a house for 6-months and taking the time to shop around. Child is young enough to not make moving an issue with changing schools. Stan1's summary of the broad layout was excellent and succinct. Not sure from where you're moving, but

Redfin has 200+ homes available fitting your broad criteria in Irvine. While it isn't the most diverse community (architecturally, amenities, etc.), there are different aspects that you might prioritize differently than other folks.

Parts of Costa Mesa are also very pleasant and fit your criteria, and some parts of Newport Beach fit your budget as well.

You're fortunate to be well positioned to find a place you like, as with all major purchases, suggest you take your time in doing do. Good luck!