Do I need insurance for a brief occupancy after selling my home

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
bikechuck

Do I need insurance for a brief occupancy after selling my home

Post by bikechuck » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:48 pm

My wife and I have sold our home of 28 years. We will close on September 21 but we have occupancy through 10/05. Our homeowners insurance will end on the closing date and I have been wondering if I need some form of insurance (perhaps renters) for the brief period after our close and before our move.

wstrdg

Re: Do I need insurance for a brief occupancy after selling my home

Post by wstrdg » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:50 pm

yes :happy

Renters will cover property loss and potential liability. Think of all of the traffic in your home during this stressful time (movers, etc). Renters is very inexpensive.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:59 pm

yes you do, imo

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:10 pm

bikechuck wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:48 pm
My wife and I have sold our home of 28 years. We will close on September 21 but we have occupancy through 10/05. Our homeowners insurance will end on the closing date and I have been wondering if I need some form of insurance (perhaps renters) for the brief period after our close and before our move.
Yes, absolutely.

In addition to protecting your possessions, that would give you liability coverage (e.g., someone trips over your carpet, or that heavy bronze vase falls off a shelf and hits someone on the head, etc.)

Get it through your current insurance company if possible for the best chance there isn't any interruption or important coverage change. You've got a week so call them so they have time to process it. They can probably expedite it given you are currently covered by them.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.