disability benefits

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
alloykat

disability benefits

Post by alloykat » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi

What is the minimum annual salary one needs in order qualify for the maximum social security disability benefits? I am thinking of working part time and I want to know if my part time income would qualify me for the maximum social security benefit if god forbid something should happen. I was recently on maternity leave and received the maximum benefit but that was based on full time employment prior to maternity leave.

Thanks.

MJS

Re: disability benefits

Post by MJS » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:03 pm

Ask Larry, who specializes in Social Security issues:
https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/ask-larry

RetiredCSProf

Post by RetiredCSProf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:22 pm

I was working part-time when I took off six weeks to recover from surgery (repairing fractured ankle / foot). My disability was half what I would have received if I had been working full-time. (State of California)

At that time, my company offered "flexible" part-time, where my hours varied between 20 and 39 hours per week; I had been averaging about 30 hours a week before going on disability. Soon after I returned from disability, my employer changed their part-time policy so that it was no longer flexible -- and I switched back to full-time.

This was about 16 years ago; I don't know if the disability rules have changed since then.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:58 am

MJS wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:03 pm
Ask Larry, who specializes in Social Security issues:
https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/ask-larry
This is a really helpful site. It answered a specific question I had that I could not definitively answer with a bunch of googling.

Chances are if you comb through the category you need one of the answers given probably answers your question.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:50 pm

SSA Disability benefits are based upon your full retirement age benefit. I do not believe that I can post a link, being a new member of the board...but you can goggle the information as to how much you have to earn to receive max FRA benefits.