Series EE Bonds: Extended Maturity Period Rates

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Ron Scott

Series EE Bonds: Extended Maturity Period Rates

Post by Ron Scott » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:14 pm

Can someone direct me to a simple table showing the rates for extended maturity periods for EE bonds, 1988 through the mid 90s?

Got about $15K in face value in my daughter's name and want to get rid of them (I mean bestow them on her). Just wondering which, if any, are worth keeping after their maturity.

I must be looking at the wrong pages in TreasuryDirect...

Thanks.
Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. The solution is not to predict investment losses but to prepare for them.

RudyS

Re: Series EE Bonds: Extended Maturity Period Rates

Post by RudyS » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:02 pm

Ron Scott wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:14 pm
Can someone direct me to a simple table showing the rates for extended maturity periods for EE bonds, 1988 through the mid 90s?

Got about $15K in face value in my daughter's name and want to get rid of them (I mean bestow them on her). Just wondering which, if any, are worth keeping after their maturity.

Thanks.
Don't know where you looked. Does this help?

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/re ... 051995.htm

Do you know that EE bond interest may be tax free if used for educational expenses? Not sure about details, but I "heard" there is this possibility.

g2morrow

Post by g2morrow » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:51 am

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:24 pm

RudyS wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:02 pm
Ron Scott wrote:

Thanks.
Don't know where you looked. Does this help?

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/re ... 051995.htm

Do you know that EE bond interest may be tax free if used for educational expenses? Not sure about details, but I "heard" there is this possibility.
Yes, depending on issue date, some later-issue EE Savings Bonds can be used, tax-free, for qualifying educational expenses. (In addition to paying directly for the qualifying expenses, contributing the proceeds to a 529 Plan also qualifies for the tax-free treatment.) There are some income limits to qualify, so check those out.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

FactualFran

Post by FactualFran » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Ron Scott wrote:

Others have posted links. I'll give some specifics. EE savings bonds are not worth keeping after their final maturity at 30 years because they stop earning interest. The savings bonds issued in 1988 reach final maturity this year (2018).

EE savings bonds issued in 1988 up to 1995-04 currently pay an annual interest rate of 4%, compounded semiannually. They will very likely continue to pay that rate until final maturity.

EE savings bonds issued in the 1990s in or after 1995-05 have a market based annual interest rate that is currently about 2.0% , if issued up to 1997-04, or 2.2%, otherwise. That rate changes every six months.

Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Excellent, thanks!
Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. The solution is not to predict investment losses but to prepare for them.