shopping laptop

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
looking

shopping laptop

Post by looking » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:55 am

Hi there BH

I’m shopping for a computer, laptop for home, business, and stock trading, ( little bit play money for fun.) I love Chromebook I have two, but I can’t use for stock trading it doesn't work on real-time stock streaming for no java program runs in the chromebook.-- I asked Schwab,etrade-- no good for trading with Chromebook. Any new kinds of stuff came out in the market-now --- dell, hp, Acer, Samsung--and where to shopping, on sale, Costco, outlet, Amazon, best buy, Walmart, eBay, or a free market, ---reliable cheap--$ 250 to $500 -----any thought-

Best wishes

student

Re: shopping laptop

Post by student » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:09 am

At this price range, I think they are essentially the same. I would just buy one during the back-to-school sale.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:16 am

Check Woot for daily specials on refurbs. I prefer Dell then HP, everyone else is tied.
www.woot.com

https://www.woot.com/category/computers ... _cdet_pc_2

sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:22 pm

Stay away from the low-end laptops that only have a 32gb emmc hard drive. Most of these cannot be expanded and you will spend an inordinate amount of time maintaining it.

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:01 pm

I was just in your situation, and this post is being typed on my new (2017) Dell Latiude 7480 from the Dell Outlet. It was a "scratch and dent". $700 for what was originally $1600. Good specs, great quality. I recommend it. They have plenty in your price range. Dell Latitudes are their business line, with a higher build quality designed to last longer than just a couple years.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:32 pm

What exactly does "home" and "business" mean? Are you doing video editing? Gaming?

For most people I recommend buying something used or refurbished with an SSD, 8gb RAM, and newish Pentium processor. I buy my laptops on Ebay from highly-rated sellers with good return policies and have been extremely happy. Currently using a Lenovo Yoga 2 which I bought around $350 when it was 2 years old, now it's 5 years old and actually selling for similar prices today. I pretty much exclusively run a Chrome browser on which I don't typically use more than 10-12 tabs at a time but that's no problem, internet explorer, Citrix receiver, and Cisco Anyconnect.

The only problem I've had is that the plastic threading for the screws is starting to go, so the last time I opened it a lot of the screws wouldn't go back in. The next time I open it will probably be the last because I'll have to glue the case together.