Question on taxation on sale of unbuilt coop apartment share

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
CULater

Question on taxation on sale of unbuilt coop apartment share

Post by CULater » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Haven't been able to find the answer to this one. I paid for an apartment (actually a "share") in a new coop apartment building that is just beginning construction. Shortly afterwards, I decided to sell my apartment (coop share) and was charged a fee of $500 by the coop developer. Obviously, I never lived in the coop since it hasn't been built yet. Can I claim the $500 as a loss on by 2018 tax return?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

ResearchMed

Re: Question on taxation on sale of unbuilt coop apartment share

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:25 pm

CULater wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:58 pm
Haven't been able to find the answer to this one. I paid for an apartment (actually a "share") in a new coop apartment building that is just beginning construction. Shortly afterwards, I decided to sell my apartment (coop share) and was charged a fee of $500 by the coop developer. Obviously, I never lived in the coop since it hasn't been built yet. Can I claim the $500 as a loss on by 2018 tax return?
Wouldn't this just be a "profit = sale price minus all costs", meaning "of course"?

Are you making any specific claim based upon it being real estate (or anything else) that would obviate this generality?
This shouldn't be any different than real estate agent fees that get deducted, or if selling on one's own, listing fees, photography costs, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.