Terminating an employee with company car

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
renue74
Posts: 1186
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Terminating an employee with company car

Post by renue74 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 pm

ALL TAKEN CARE OF.


I have the unfortunate need to terminate an employee who has a company car. I own a small company and this is the first time I had to do this with an employee who had a car.

Any suggested protocol for handling the process?
Last edited by renue74 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
snackdog
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by snackdog » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:32 pm

How about asking for the car keys (along with other company property) when you terminate? You could send her home in a taxi.

User avatar
JamesSFO
Posts: 3111
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by JamesSFO » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:38 pm

An HR colleague of mine had to deal with this regularly, this was pre-Uber/Lyft days and she would drive them home. Nowadays, give them some money for Taxi/Uber/Lyft and they should be ok.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7494
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 pm

You might want to allow the employee time to clear out any personal possessions.

If you prefer, you could have Security accompany the employee, the way some places have Security watch while employee clears personal possessions from an office, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Scrapr
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 9:19 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by Scrapr » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Just be a decent human being about it. If you want you could drive him/her home. And return with the car. Give them some respect & dignity. I've had to do it & it isn't fun

ResearchMed
Posts: 7494
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Scrapr wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:42 pm
Just be a decent human being about it. If you want you could drive him/her home. And return with the car. Give them some respect & dignity. I've had to do it & it isn't fun
If I was just terminated unexpectedly, I don't think I would want to have the awkwardness/unpleasantness of sitting next to the [former] superior during a ride home, which might take some time.

I've never been in a position where cars are provided, but what about offering one week's worth of rental car costs? Just a thought...
I would not consider offering a rental car; you want a clean break, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

renue74
Posts: 1186
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by renue74 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:16 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:46 pm
Scrapr wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:42 pm
Just be a decent human being about it. If you want you could drive him/her home. And return with the car. Give them some respect & dignity. I've had to do it & it isn't fun
If I was just terminated unexpectedly, I don't think I would want to have the awkwardness/unpleasantness of sitting next to the [former] superior during a ride home, which might take some time.

I've never been in a position where cars are provided, but what about offering one week's worth of rental car costs? Just a thought...
I would not consider offering a rental car; you want a clean break, etc.

RM
Yes...I prefer not to drive him home. We're a small firm...4 people. No security and it's pretty difficult to have any privacy in the office. I was planning to do it at lunch.

GUtiger
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:47 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by GUtiger » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Definitely thought I was about to read a story about you running over an employee with a company car. Glad no one was hurt, but this is less interesting.

Apply $500 of credits to the employee's Uber account.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7494
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:25 pm

GUtiger wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:20 pm
Definitely thought I was about to read a story about you running over an employee with a company car. Glad no one was hurt, but this is less interesting.

Apply $500 of credits to the employee's Uber account.
:shock:

Well, that's one way.....!!

Seriously, the Uber credit is another way.
IF it were me, for the same money, I'd rather have the money for a rental car OR Uber, depending upon the usage/preference. (DH would use Uber; I'd use a rental car.)
But either way, it would be a nice gesture, given that you are sending someone home without wheels, suddenly.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

tim1999
Posts: 3508
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by tim1999 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:46 pm

When my megacorp does this, they have a black car service drive the employee home from the office.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 4203
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by whodidntante » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:52 pm

tim1999 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:46 pm
When my megacorp does this, they have a black car service drive the employee home from the office.
Now that's a classy sacking!

Nissanzx1
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by Nissanzx1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:53 pm

At the company I'm at, they take the keys/car at termination and they ask you to call your spouse or a friend.

It seems mean, but its just the way they do it.

I remember one manager they fired, HR forgot to tell IT to shut off the terminated employees email account. The recently terminated employee got drunk and starting sending threating notes and even aired his dirty sexual laundry about/with other employees send to the whole company. We had armed security for about 10 days after that fiasco.

I'm sorry you have to do this, just do it soon and try to treat the person the way you'd want to be treated.

toofache32
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by toofache32 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:56 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:46 pm
Scrapr wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:42 pm
Just be a decent human being about it. If you want you could drive him/her home. And return with the car. Give them some respect & dignity. I've had to do it & it isn't fun
If I was just terminated unexpectedly, I don't think I would want to have the awkwardness/unpleasantness of sitting next to the [former] superior during a ride home, which might take some time.
I was thinking the same thing.

We had to fire someone with the company car, but it was because of misuse of the company car. She took numerous personal trips in the car including driving 6 states away to visit family for vacation. This was theft so I had no problem calling a cab and letting her pay for it.

User avatar
StevieG72
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by StevieG72 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:25 am

It is in your best interest to secure all company property at the time of termination.

Treat the employee respectfully and keep it professional.

I would escort employee to the car to clean out personal possessions. I would have another staff member tag along if employee is volatile or the opposite gender.

Uber is inexpensive and quick. I would call Uber and pay for it myself, ride is paid for in advance based on distance with Uber i believe.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

gotester2000
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:59 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by gotester2000 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:07 am

If I were the employee I would focus on quick clearance and not care about company drop off/uber vouchers or any other gift.
Does the employee live far away(50 miles) from office?

OnTrack2020
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by OnTrack2020 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:15 am

I agree with the above poster who basically said keep it classy/professional and have some heart. I'm not sure I would drive them home; but I would definitely pay in advance for Uber, taxi, etc.

Globalviewer58
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:26 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by Globalviewer58 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:31 am

Let the employee use the car to drive home, clean out personal stuff and then arrange a convenient time to pick the car up tomorrow. Build a bridge to a good relationship for the future.

mouses
Posts: 3824
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by mouses » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:42 am

Not everyone has someone who can pick them up, nor does everyone want relatives and friends to know they've just been fired until they've had time to process it.

No, don't drive them home yourself. A relative was fired while traveling with his boss, the new owner of the company, on an airplane and had to sit next to the boss for hours. Very unpleasant, not to mention that he was fired because "he wasn't the right religion," but that's another story.

If there's a decent taxi service, call that. If not, a limo service. I know people like Uber etc. but I have heard too many news stories about criminal drivers. Prepay or give the employee cash to cover those.

(This is why I used my own car with a usage reimbursement, not a company car You never know.)
Last edited by mouses on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

eldinerocheapo
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by eldinerocheapo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:43 am

I've seen this handled several different ways. The best I've seen is to notify the terminated employee that you'll pick up their vehicle along with any company property at their home at a specific time, then drive over with a co worker to witness the event. Once the inventory check list has been inspected and approved, the keys are handed over and the co worker drives the vehicle back to the fleet lot. This saves a lot of embarrassment of being fired at work.

alfaspider
Posts: 1603
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by alfaspider » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:56 am

I'd evaluate whether you really need to terminate with immediate effect. That would give them time to turn over the car with a ride home already lined up.

The way it generally works with associate attorneys at large law firms is that they are told that they are being given 1-6 months (depending on firm and situation). This gives time to start looking for a new job while still employed and gives the associate time to wrap up any matters they've been working on. It goes a long way towards avoiding bad blood between the fired attorney and the firm. Setting aside litigiousness, you never know when you might be dealing with someone again.

Corporate employers are always so worried about sabotage that they tend to walk people right out the building upon termination. But it never seems to be an issue at law firms. Obviously, if you are worried about IP theft or the employee becoming violent that's a different story.

michaeljc70
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:07 am

I don't know the employee obviously, but I would not want to give the employee any notice which could give them the opportunity to treat the car like a rental car or worse. Things can be done to a car that are not good for it that leave no signs (just because the windshield isn't smashed in doesn't mean they didn't do anything to the car). Getting fired can cause different people to react in different ways and I would just want to protect my/my businesses property. Call an Uber or a cab and pay for it for the employee. Forcing them to try and get a ride is uncalled for in my opinion unless the reasons for termination are egregious (like theft).

User avatar
goingup
Posts: 3263
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:02 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by goingup » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 am

The way it happens at my partner's company:
*Termination happens at the office
*Relinquish all company property immediately- car, phone, credit cards, laptops
*HR takes everything, gives final check
*Transportation is arranged by employee

It's designed to happen as quickly as possible and limit the liability of the company. Brutally efficient.

michaeljc70
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:08 am

People are stating policies at megacorps while the OP has a 4 person business. There is no HR or security. Obviously everyone knows everyone else. I don't think it calls for what a Megacorp would do.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18772
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:10 am

Never had a company car and never fired/terminated for "cause". On two occasions, for large corporations, I have been downsized or laid off - and I was given notice - an hour or so to gather up my belongings and was walked out the door.

Dottie57
Posts: 4672
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 am

goingup wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 am
The way it happens at my partner's company:
*Termination happens at the office
*Relinquish all company property immediately- car, phone, credit cards, laptops
*HR takes everything, gives final check
*Transportation is arranged by employee

It's designed to happen as quickly as possible and limit the liability of the company. Brutally efficient.
I agree with everything except transportation. I think Uber , car service is great.

tim1999
Posts: 3508
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by tim1999 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:17 am

The likely main benefit from providing a car service to take the employee home is that it basically gets the employee off the company property immediately instead of having them possibly loiter around causing trouble while “waiting for their ride to show up” etc.

When my employer did a mass layoff involving a lot of people with company cars, they had a bunch of pre-arranged hired Lincoln Town Cars waiting in a parking lot while the layoffs went down so they could just roll up to the door when summoned by management, load the employee, and go.

We’ve had disgruntled ex employees linger around after getting notice and make threats, refuse to leave, etc. so I can understand the company’s concern.

gotester2000
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:59 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by gotester2000 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:26 am

goingup wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 am
The way it happens at my partner's company:
*Termination happens at the office
*Relinquish all company property immediately- car, phone, credit cards, laptops
*HR takes everything, gives final check
*Transportation is arranged by employee

It's designed to happen as quickly as possible and limit the liability of the company. Brutally efficient.
It is the best way for both parties.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18772
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:29 am

gotester2000 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:26 am
goingup wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 am
The way it happens at my partner's company:
*Termination happens at the office
*Relinquish all company property immediately- car, phone, credit cards, laptops
*HR takes everything, gives final check
*Transportation is arranged by employee
It's designed to happen as quickly as possible and limit the liability of the company. Brutally efficient.
It is the best way for both parties.
Depending on all the details, I would give the terminated employee two weeks pay plus accrued vacation - and have this all done when giving the notice.

cherijoh
Posts: 4960
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:49 pm
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by cherijoh » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:33 am

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:56 am
I'd evaluate whether you really need to terminate with immediate effect. That would give them time to turn over the car with a ride home already lined up.

The way it generally works with associate attorneys at large law firms is that they are told that they are being given 1-6 months (depending on firm and situation). This gives time to start looking for a new job while still employed and gives the associate time to wrap up any matters they've been working on. It goes a long way towards avoiding bad blood between the fired attorney and the firm. Setting aside litigiousness, you never know when you might be dealing with someone again.

Corporate employers are always so worried about sabotage that they tend to walk people right out the building upon termination. But it never seems to be an issue at law firms. Obviously, if you are worried about IP theft or the employee becoming violent that's a different story.
I guess it depends on the reason for the termination. If it is with cause, then I think walking them out the door immediately is probably appropriate. But I have worked for megacorps where they walk employees out the door due to workforce reductions. That seems very callous to me. A friend let it be known to her managers that she was interested in a package if they needed to cut headcount - she was eligible to retire and was actually financially set, but is very frugal :wink: She got wind of it the night before and was able to go back to her office and pack up her personal belongings, but otherwise she would have been packing her desk with a security guard watching her. I think that shows an incredible lack of respect for her contributions to the company over the past 25 or so years.

At the other extreme, I separated from a former employer when they were closing a worksite and I opted not to relocate. In that case, they offered a separation package in order to keep employees during the transition period. I signed up for the separation packing in October and wasn't let go until the following July! Had I had mischief in mind, I would have had ample time to come up with something.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18772
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 am

Many decades ago, I worked for a "Megacorp" - and even when an employee resigned (gave notice), they were immediately given all relevant paperwork and walked out the door that day (often with hours). Names on offices (we had two person offices back then) were removed and the next day - it was as though the person never existed.

gotester2000
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:59 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by gotester2000 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:08 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:29 am
gotester2000 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:26 am
goingup wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 am
The way it happens at my partner's company:
*Termination happens at the office
*Relinquish all company property immediately- car, phone, credit cards, laptops
*HR takes everything, gives final check
*Transportation is arranged by employee
It's designed to happen as quickly as possible and limit the liability of the company. Brutally efficient.
It is the best way for both parties.
Depending on all the details, I would give the terminated employee two weeks pay plus accrued vacation - and have this all done when giving the notice.
That comes under the point - HR gives the final check - The amount consists of pay in lieu of notice period plus all other benefits encashed. I have seen this happening even in mass layoffs where people have received several months pay as a final check and sent home immediately.
The point is there is no value in holding the employee for extended period(if he was important he would not have been fired) as the employee doesnt have motivation to give his best and could influence the morale of others around him or do other mischief.
Why would company care how employee commutes back to his home is beyond me?

Goal33
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by Goal33 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:09 am

I'd give the employee a box, tell them to clean out the car and leave the key at the front desk when they're ready... worse case they don't give you back the car and you make an insurance claim??
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

41Fin
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by 41Fin » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:48 am

renue74 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:16 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:46 pm
Scrapr wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:42 pm
Just be a decent human being about it. If you want you could drive him/her home. And return with the car. Give them some respect & dignity. I've had to do it & it isn't fun
If I was just terminated unexpectedly, I don't think I would want to have the awkwardness/unpleasantness of sitting next to the [former] superior during a ride home, which might take some time.

I've never been in a position where cars are provided, but what about offering one week's worth of rental car costs? Just a thought...
I would not consider offering a rental car; you want a clean break, etc.

RM
Yes...I prefer not to drive him home. We're a small firm...4 people. No security and it's pretty difficult to have any privacy in the office. I was planning to do it at lunch.

When you go to lunch, offer to drive.

This gives you control of the car and after lunch give them $30 bucks for a cab ride home and you take the car back to the office.

PVW
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:01 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by PVW » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:09 pm

tim1999 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:17 am
When my employer did a mass layoff involving a lot of people with company cars, they had a bunch of pre-arranged hired Lincoln Town Cars waiting in a parking lot while the layoffs went down so they could just roll up to the door when summoned by management, load the employee, and go.
How grim, like crows circling overhead. It sounds like the backdrop of a Stephen King novel.

alfaspider
Posts: 1603
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by alfaspider » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:00 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 am
Many decades ago, I worked for a "Megacorp" - and even when an employee resigned (gave notice), they were immediately given all relevant paperwork and walked out the door that day (often with hours). Names on offices (we had two person offices back then) were removed and the next day - it was as though the person never existed.
Seems incredibly short sighted on the part of the company to do that to people who are resigning on good terms. That's a great way to leave people in the lurch who are waiting on work product or need to transition roles. Even two-weeks notice can result in a mad scramble to figure out what that person was working on so as to avoid things falling through the cracks.

audioaxes
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by audioaxes » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Globalviewer58 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:31 am
Let the employee use the car to drive home, clean out personal stuff and then arrange a convenient time to pick the car up tomorrow. Build a bridge to a good relationship for the future.
seems like a perfect opportunity for that fired employee to slam the breaks hard to cause a rear ending accident and lawsuit

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18772
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:56 pm

PVW wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:09 pm
tim1999 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:17 am
When my employer did a mass layoff involving a lot of people with company cars, they had a bunch of pre-arranged hired Lincoln Town Cars waiting in a parking lot while the layoffs went down so they could just roll up to the door when summoned by management, load the employee, and go.
How grim, like crows circling overhead. It sounds like the backdrop of a Stephen King novel.
I guess if you arrived at work one morning and saw the line of Town cars - you might be nervous!

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18772
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:58 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:00 pm
dm200 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 am
Many decades ago, I worked for a "Megacorp" - and even when an employee resigned (gave notice), they were immediately given all relevant paperwork and walked out the door that day (often with hours). Names on offices (we had two person offices back then) were removed and the next day - it was as though the person never existed.
Seems incredibly short sighted on the part of the company to do that to people who are resigning on good terms. That's a great way to leave people in the lurch who are waiting on work product or need to transition roles. Even two-weeks notice can result in a mad scramble to figure out what that person was working on so as to avoid things falling through the cracks.
This was the culture of that Mega Mega Corp for many, many decades. They wanted to have the image that folks did not leave - and they did create that image. Leaving that Megacorp, for many, was very similar to leaving a religion.

renue74
Posts: 1186
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by renue74 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Update:

I got up early and came to the office at 6:45am. I boxed his personal belongings up. I texted my other employees and told them they could come in a little later.

At 8am, he came in and we talked before he had time to go to his desk. It was a short conversation, not hostile.

I allowed him to drive the car home and get his personal belongings out of it. At lunch, he came back to the office and another co-worker took him back home. He lives about 4 miles from the office.

Was it efficient? I'm not sure. But, it wasn't awkward.

I imagine if he had been hostile, the scenario would had played out differently. He's a coder. He'll find a position within a week, I'm sure.

Tough day for all.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18772
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:33 pm

renue74 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 pm
Update:
I got up early and came to the office at 6:45am. I boxed his personal belongings up. I texted my other employees and told them they could come in a little later.
At 8am, he came in and we talked before he had time to go to his desk. It was a short conversation, not hostile.
I allowed him to drive the car home and get his personal belongings out of it. At lunch, he came back to the office and another co-worker took him back home. He lives about 4 miles from the office.
Was it efficient? I'm not sure. But, it wasn't awkward.
I imagine if he had been hostile, the scenario would had played out differently. He's a coder. He'll find a position within a week, I'm sure.
Tough day for all.
Glad it seemed to work OK.

You provide a company car to a "coder"??

renue74
Posts: 1186
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by renue74 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:38 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:33 pm
renue74 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 pm
Update:
I got up early and came to the office at 6:45am. I boxed his personal belongings up. I texted my other employees and told them they could come in a little later.
At 8am, he came in and we talked before he had time to go to his desk. It was a short conversation, not hostile.
I allowed him to drive the car home and get his personal belongings out of it. At lunch, he came back to the office and another co-worker took him back home. He lives about 4 miles from the office.
Was it efficient? I'm not sure. But, it wasn't awkward.
I imagine if he had been hostile, the scenario would had played out differently. He's a coder. He'll find a position within a week, I'm sure.
Tough day for all.
Glad it seemed to work OK.

You provide a company car to a "coder"??
Yep...sure do. Benefit in lieu of salary raise. There are "benefits" to working for a smaller company...though I will admit, I can't compete with salaries for my people vs. megacorps. Just can't.

Goal33
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by Goal33 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:43 pm

renue74 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:38 pm
dm200 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:33 pm
renue74 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 pm
Update:
I got up early and came to the office at 6:45am. I boxed his personal belongings up. I texted my other employees and told them they could come in a little later.
At 8am, he came in and we talked before he had time to go to his desk. It was a short conversation, not hostile.
I allowed him to drive the car home and get his personal belongings out of it. At lunch, he came back to the office and another co-worker took him back home. He lives about 4 miles from the office.
Was it efficient? I'm not sure. But, it wasn't awkward.
I imagine if he had been hostile, the scenario would had played out differently. He's a coder. He'll find a position within a week, I'm sure.
Tough day for all.
Glad it seemed to work OK.

You provide a company car to a "coder"??
Yep...sure do. Benefit in lieu of salary raise. There are "benefits" to working for a smaller company...though I will admit, I can't compete with salaries for my people vs. megacorps. Just can't.
I don't get it... I thought if you had a company car, you had to pay taxes on the value of the personal use. Whatever :)
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18772
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Goal33 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:43 pm
renue74 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:38 pm
dm200 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:33 pm
renue74 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 pm
Update:
I got up early and came to the office at 6:45am. I boxed his personal belongings up. I texted my other employees and told them they could come in a little later.
At 8am, he came in and we talked before he had time to go to his desk. It was a short conversation, not hostile.
I allowed him to drive the car home and get his personal belongings out of it. At lunch, he came back to the office and another co-worker took him back home. He lives about 4 miles from the office.
Was it efficient? I'm not sure. But, it wasn't awkward.
I imagine if he had been hostile, the scenario would had played out differently. He's a coder. He'll find a position within a week, I'm sure.
Tough day for all.
Glad it seemed to work OK.

You provide a company car to a "coder"??
Yep...sure do. Benefit in lieu of salary raise. There are "benefits" to working for a smaller company...though I will admit, I can't compete with salaries for my people vs. megacorps. Just can't.
I don't get it... I thought if you had a company car, you had to pay taxes on the value of the personal use. Whatever :)
Not everyone follows the rules. Do not know about OP

renue74
Posts: 1186
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by renue74 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:07 pm

Employee kept a log of personal miles and our accountant helped him keep it square on taxes.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18772
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:11 pm

renue74 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:07 pm
Employee kept a log of personal miles and our accountant helped him keep it square on taxes.
How does a "coder" have business miles on the car? Used to be one of those ate several different places and my business travel by car was noise level.

RickBoglehead
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Goal33 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:43 pm
renue74 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:38 pm
dm200 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:33 pm
renue74 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 pm
Update:
I got up early and came to the office at 6:45am. I boxed his personal belongings up. I texted my other employees and told them they could come in a little later.
At 8am, he came in and we talked before he had time to go to his desk. It was a short conversation, not hostile.
I allowed him to drive the car home and get his personal belongings out of it. At lunch, he came back to the office and another co-worker took him back home. He lives about 4 miles from the office.
Was it efficient? I'm not sure. But, it wasn't awkward.
I imagine if he had been hostile, the scenario would had played out differently. He's a coder. He'll find a position within a week, I'm sure.
Tough day for all.
Glad it seemed to work OK.

You provide a company car to a "coder"??
Yep...sure do. Benefit in lieu of salary raise. There are "benefits" to working for a smaller company...though I will admit, I can't compete with salaries for my people vs. megacorps. Just can't.
I don't get it... I thought if you had a company car, you had to pay taxes on the value of the personal use. Whatever :)
You do.

Capsu78
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by Capsu78 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Once witnessed a particularly disagreeable lower level supervisor get RIFed suddenly when new management came in. She considered herself "untouchable", and her manager knew she would exit less than gracefully, so he decided whatever she complained about getting her out of the building was worth doing and he would apologize later if HR gave him grief.
Her biggest beef was she had a $700 special Captain Kirk chair in her cube that she bought and had shipped to the HQ, as she lived downtown about 30 miles away. He called the limo company who picked her and her chair up, it sticking out of the moon roof and the cause of much snickering by those looking on from upper floor windows!
HR gave him some grief about providing transportation when others didn't get it...He said Good Grief, I will pay for it myself then! They backed off and HR never said anything more.

mouses
Posts: 3824
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by mouses » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:36 pm

gotester2000 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:08 am
Why would company care how employee commutes back to his home is beyond me?
Because in some areas it would leave them stranded. My area has no taxi service. One has to walk miles to find a bus which is likely not going anywhere near where you live, even if you had any idea of where the bus stops and routes are. Suppose they have no one to call, or their partner is at work or out of town, etc.

toofache32
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by toofache32 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:13 pm

mouses wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:36 pm
gotester2000 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:08 am
Why would company care how employee commutes back to his home is beyond me?
Because in some areas it would leave them stranded. My area has no taxi service. One has to walk miles to find a bus which is likely not going anywhere near where you live, even if you had any idea of where the bus stops and routes are. Suppose they have no one to call, or their partner is at work or out of town, etc.
Sounds like an area where people need to own a car.

michaeljc70
Posts: 3746
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Terminating an employee with company car

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:44 pm

renue74 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:07 pm
Employee kept a log of personal miles and our accountant helped him keep it square on taxes.
What were the business miles? Even getting to the office is not considered business miles (generally). They are commute miles.

Post Reply