Do you have a friend/family who you think is making a financial mistake?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
acegolfer

Do you have a friend/family who you think is making a financial mistake?

Post by acegolfer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:42 pm

What financial mistake is (s)he making?

ponyboy

Re: Do you have a friend/family who you think is making a financial mistake?

Post by ponyboy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:44 pm

My sister...bought waaaay too much house. Just had a $35k in ground pool put in. They are up to their eyeballs in debt. Good luck with that.

And here I am...bought a house waaaay under what the rule of thumb is 2.5x income or whatever. Doing a lot of renovations myself. I dont have a pool. Im 4 years younger than sister, im 35, and we're closing in on $1 million not counting house. Im doing something wrong...im not the norm.

sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:55 pm

Day trading based on information learned from webinars and free publications on what to buy and sell . He constantly buys and sells each day and holds anywhere from 10 to 30 stocks

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:00 pm

I have a friend who thinks Raymond James can make him A LOT OF MONEY. :?

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Neighborhood friends in their early 60’s with a ton of mortgage and student loan debt.

They are hanging onto a house that they have said that they can’t afford long-term, when houses in our area are selling quickly and for prices higher than before the Great Recession.

They plan to move to a lower cost area; if they sold now, they could buy a mortgage-free house in their target area.

megabad

Post by megabad » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Yes. Divorce.
Last edited by megabad on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Seems many of my friends/family are financial idiots.

They are my anti-role models. If ever we are "on the same page", I know I must re-evaluate.

Anti-role models are way better than traditional role models.
Funding secured

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:27 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.