New Medicare cards. Get yours?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
btenny

New Medicare cards. Get yours?

Post by btenny » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:14 pm

We have not gotten our new medicare cards. We got a note last week that they were mailed to our winter address. They should have been forwarded but they have not arrived at our summer place. Has everone got their new cards. Will they be forwarded?.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by btenny on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

munemaker

Re: New SS cards. Get yours?

Post by munemaker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:17 pm

Do you mean new Mediscare cards or SS cards?

We are unaware of new SS cards.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:52 pm

New SS cards? When did they make that announcement?

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:18 am

Even though the OP is confused with the terminology here - the new cards are Medicare cards, not Social Security cards, she does bring up an interesting point

Since the whole point of removing SS numbers from Medicare I.D. cards was to help cut identity theft ====

Maybe the mailings of the new cards specifically carried that official (?) notice for postal attention "Do Not Forward"

I didn't pay any attention when I got mine, anyone else notice if this was the case?

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:10 am

I've not had a SS card since my old one fell apart 20+ years ago.
And I certainly don't want a new one now.
I'm happy just to have a SS number...
Attempted new signature...

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:29 am

My new Medicare card came early in the second round. But I had already gone out to the Medicare site and printed off a copy of the new card, an idea I got from someone on this forum.

celia

Post by celia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:58 am

Our new Medicare cards arrived at our summer address (which is also our winter address :D ). We made color copies of the back and front and laminated several copies for each of us since we plan to carry one in our wallets for a long time. We've also used them without any problem.

Note that if you make copies, each person has a different QR (square bar code) on the back, assumedly for future scanning.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:07 am

My new Medicare card showed up a day or so ago. I thought our state wasn't scheduled until next year.

Now to remember to notify doctors' offices, etc.

Points to the feds for making these paper instead of adding millions of plastic cards to the planet.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:54 am

mouses wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:07 am
...Points to the feds for making these paper instead of adding millions of plastic cards to the planet...
It's interesting: my old Medicare card has always looked like a rather cheesy piece of cardboard, but it has actually held up and stayed legible in my wallet just as well as many plastic cards.

I would like them to issue new Social Security cards that say on them "For Social Security purposes, not for identification." :wink:
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

bac

Post by bac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:48 am

Got my new Medicare card a couple of weeks ago, at least a couple of weeks after I got the email notice that it was coming. I dug into the recycling for the envelope it came in but came up empty, so I can't tell you what notations it had. If memory serves, it was pretty plain.

#Cruncher

Re: New Medicare Card. Got yours?

Post by #Cruncher » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:34 am

nisiprius wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:54 am
... my old Medicare card has always looked like a rather cheesy piece of cardboard, but it has actually held up and stayed legible in my wallet just as well as many plastic cards.
Likewise mine has held up well for seven years. I keep it between two plastic credit cards in my wallet for protection.
bac wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:48 am
Got my new Medicare card a couple of weeks ago, ... I dug into the recycling for the envelope it came in but came up empty, so I can't tell you what notations it had. If memory serves, it was pretty plain.
Mine came a few days ago. I was able to locate the envelope in the trash. It does not say "Do not forward. In fact there are no instructions on the envelope at all.

CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:01 am

GerryL wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:29 am
My new Medicare card came early in the second round. But I had already gone out to the Medicare site and printed off a copy of the new card, an idea I got from someone on this forum.
I tried this, and nothing to be found.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:11 am

I got my new social security card, but I had to go into an SSA office to get it.

btenny

Re: New Medicare cards. Get yours?

Post by btenny » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:14 am

Edited the title. Thanks.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:28 am

nisiprius wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:54 am
mouses wrote:
...Points to the feds for making these paper instead of adding millions of plastic cards to the planet...
It's interesting: my old Medicare card has always looked like a rather cheesy piece of cardboard, but it has actually held up and stayed legible in my wallet just as well as many plastic cards.

I would like them to issue new Social Security cards that say on them "For Social Security purposes, not for identification." :wink:
The new one is a little smaller than the old one, so it fits into a slot in my purse instead of developing the ragged edges of the old one. Still, the old one was still readable and I guess I have had it for nine years.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:49 am

The Wizard wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:10 am
There are times when a SS card is necessary. For instance, getting an enhanced driver's license (good for some international travel) in our state requires showing your SS card in person. My wife just had to get a replacement card for that purpose because she had lost hers.

But since this thread is really about Medicare cards....I'm waiting for mine which is scheduled to be mailed to me in the next few months.

Here's the a CMS schedule showing updated mailing date estimates. I'm assuming that the further down the list you are the later the cards will be mailed.
https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/New-Medica ... rategy.pdf
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:56 am

GerryL wrote:
Were you able to print out your new card before your state was scheduled to have the new cards sent out?

We live in one of the later states scheduled to get the new Medicare cards (sometime in 2019). Was wondering if we could print out our cards now.

Where did you go to print out your new cards?

One Ping
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:53 am

One Ping wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:56 am
GerryL wrote:
Were you able to print out your new card before your state was scheduled to have the new cards sent out?

We live in one of the later states scheduled to get the new Medicare cards (sometime in 2019). Was wondering if we could print out our cards now.

Where did you go to print out your new cards?

One Ping
I too am late in the queue for mailing of new cards.

Log into your account on Social Security website, pull up your Medicare benefit letter. Voila: your new Medicare number is there.

From there, I was able to print out a letter for presentation for official purposes, like to medical offices.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:14 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:49 am
The Wizard wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:10 am
There are times when a SS card is necessary. For instance, getting an enhanced driver's license (good for some international travel) in our state requires showing your SS card in person. My wife just had to get a replacement card for that purpose because she had lost hers.

But since this thread is really about Medicare cards....I'm waiting for mine which is scheduled to be mailed to me in the next few months.

Here's the a CMS schedule showing updated mailing date estimates. I'm assuming that the further down the list you are the later the cards will be mailed.
https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/New-Medica ... rategy.pdf
I also had to get another SS card to get an enhanced driver's license. Prior to that, I don't even remember when I last "saw" my actual SS card.

As for the new Medicare cards, I got mine last week, but DH still hasn't gotten his. His last name is much further back in the alphabet than mine, so maybe they are going through the alphabetically? (just a guess)

Now... to get this number into the medical and insurance systems. That should be lots of "fun"!
Problem is, I'm *sure* that the old SS number will remain right there. This new, separate Medicare number is probably only useful for the youngsters who are just entering the system and won't need to give medical/etc., providers the SS number.
OTOH, everything seems to be "out there" anyway, and I don't see that stopping. Quite the opposite, alas.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:51 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:14 pm

Now... to get this number into the medical and insurance systems. That should be lots of "fun"!
Problem is, I'm *sure* that the old SS number will remain right there. This new, separate Medicare number is probably only useful for the youngsters who are just entering the system and won't need to give medical/etc., providers the SS number.
OTOH, everything seems to be "out there" anyway, and I don't see that stopping. Quite the opposite, alas.

RM
I agree that it will be basically useless to those of us already in the system.

For those who are younger, they'd better be vigilant about not providing their SS# on the multitude of paper forms that still ask for it and probably will for some time to come.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:56 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:51 pm

For those who are younger, they'd better be vigilant about not providing their SS# on the multitude of paper forms that still ask for it and probably will for some time to come.
Well, if you want to get credit in most instances, including some cell phone plans, then you'll have to play by the rules and provide your SS number.
That's how they run the credit check to see if you're a deadbeat or not...
Attempted new signature...

bhmgb

Post by bhmgb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:18 am
Even though the OP is confused with the terminology here - the new cards are Medicare cards, not Social Security cards, she does bring up an interesting point

Since the whole point of removing SS numbers from Medicare I.D. cards was to help cut identity theft ====

Maybe the mailings of the new cards specifically carried that official (?) notice for postal attention "Do Not Forward"

I didn't pay any attention when I got mine, anyone else notice if this was the case?
I got my new Medicare card on June 30, and still have the envelope it came in.
Nothing on envelope about "Do not forward".

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:24 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:51 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:14 pm

RM
I agree that it will be basically useless to those of us already in the system.

The transition period is generous, but unless you are planning to depart the planet before 2020 you will need to be using your new Medicare identifier after then if you (or your doc) want to file claims. See https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018/03 ... g-you.aspx

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:26 pm

My new Medicare card arrived a week ago. It seemed very similar to my old Medicare card except now the ID is alphanumeric rather than the numeric only SS number.

I've used it at a my primary care physician's office already. They seemed glad to see it.

khh

Post by khh » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:32 pm

mouses wrote:

Points to the feds for making these paper instead of adding millions of plastic cards to the planet.
The benefit is diminished if enough people laminate their cards.

Kompass

Post by Kompass » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:07 pm

bac wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:48 am
Got my new Medicare card a couple of weeks ago, at least a couple of weeks after I got the email notice that it was coming. I dug into the recycling for the envelope it came in but came up empty, so I can't tell you what notations it had. If memory serves, it was pretty plain.
Found my envelope! It was in the recycle too.

Return address shows coming from Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Nothing about forwarding, but the back of it says in very large font:

OFFICIAL INFORMATION FROM MEDICARE

I'm sure no one would guess :oops:

Edit: this was the new card for my mother but I am her rep so it came to me
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.