Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
gunn_show

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by gunn_show » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:43 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 pm
teos wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:07 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 pm
teos wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:32 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 pm
You now have all the information to make a decision, which is to go with your gut and stay put. Mark your calendar for today + 1 year and revisit your situation.

Act on your decision now, as further thinking is no longer productive and will become a source of unnecessary stress.
I tried this. Thought it was over. Except that after turning them down again they came back saying they talked to the client more and want to make this work for my long term goals. On top of this they offered an even higher salary. However this is still working for the consulting firm (it might mean being on permanently for them).
How much more money? Are we talking 1.2x your other job or 1.5x your other job?
It's now 1.45x (up from 1.33x when I started this thread).
Sounds like they really want you. If you can see yourself working there, I would counter with 1.5x and take it.
+1 .. I am risk taker in my career and it has largely paid off.. if you get to a comfortable place, take the jump .. end of day, you are obviously a very-employable candidate, if it works out you really make out like a bandit, and if not, you are back in the job market after banking a ton of money and will probably be fine..
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:22 pm

One other thought - be very careful to read the "fine print" when you get the offer in writing.

This is going through a head hunter. Be sure there is no condition on the term of employment. IOW, do you need to remain employed for a certain amount of time?

This potential new employer is paying someone to find you. If you decide to leave (for whatever reason), he may want some compensation for his efforts - which are now wasted.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

burnout454

Post by burnout454 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 am

I'm reading this late in the conversation. One of my first thoughts was: you are more desirable and have more leverage when you have a job than when not. So I thought it could be good for them to know you have a job. You can negotiate the terms you want (foremost, a permanent job) from a strong position and see how bad they want you.

Now that you are where you are, I'd just tell them the terms you need to take the job and see if they accept (ex. permanent position, etc.).

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 am

If I was the OP I would still take a pass on this.

Has he met with the "real" employees at the company yet?

It seems the only thing that has changed is the willingness of the client company to hire the OP as a "permanent" employee.

Revisit this issue 6 months later.
If the job is still there, then fine; if not, it isn't a big deal.
If the OP was that desirable, there will be other "great" jobs.