Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
teos
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by teos » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:02 pm

So I've been unemployed for about two months. I turned down a couple offers in my salary range in the process that weren't good fits for me (e.g. interest, career direction, and/or culture). After two months I settled on the best offer available (that I extended the deadline for several weeks while interviewing elsewhere). The best available was comparable to the others in terms of compensation, but only after negotiating on salary to bring them up from their initial offering! This brought me to roughly market value for profession and area. The work was the most interesting of the offers -- bar only tangently related to the niche I really want to get into (which is very hard to find with the right mix of compensation and nature of work).

I applied to something like 60-70 companies in those two months. Had about 40% of them express interest back, and did a lot of interviewing. The ones I wanted most (top 90 percentile in terms of interest) got to the final stages with didn't pan out unfortunately. So I took the job I'm at now as the extended deadline neared. I really didn't want to start the interving process all over again.

But as it turns out some of the companies I applied to early in the process are just now getting back to me. So I at least kept interviewing to see where these oppurtunities went. One didn't pan out (would have been nice -- say top 10 percentile of interesting work). Another is still in process, and a third gave me an offer. So now I'm faced with that third. Job MegaCorp.

Job Now (Small Company - few weeks in)
  • Level: Senior
  • Type: Full Time Employee
  • Salary: Market Value (50th percentile)
  • Health/Vision/Dental: very small premium, decent coverage
  • 401k: low match, (large selection of index funds)
  • Vacation: Pretty standard offering
  • Interesting Work (scale 0-1): 70th percentile
  • Company Culture: 80th percentile
  • Career Direction: 60th percentile
Job Offer (Mega Corp):
  • Level Team Lead
  • Type: 6-month to Full Time Employee via recruiting firm
  • Salary: Above Market Value (Top 10 (5?) percentile) Note: I'll have to renegotiate with the client once they hire me on full time says the recruiting firm but the range the client expects to pay inludes my offered salary (should this be a cause for concern? -- the low end of the range is 6% less than the offer)
  • 401k: no match during contract, 6% match once hired (typical mediocre offering with a minority of lowish cost index funds - e.g. 500 index)
  • Vacation: Pretty standard offering
  • Health/Vision/Dental: average premium, mediocre coverage
  • Interesting Work (scale 0-1): 85th percentile
  • Company Culture: 30th percentile (MegaCorp)
  • Career direction: 75th percentile
I use Paysa primarily, but also Glassdoor, payscale, and salary.com to estiamte percentiles. Paysa is awesome!

The gap between 50th and top 10th percentile is about 33% higher pay. Job offer comes with responsibilities to lead a small team too so will involve technical and leadership skills (part of the reason for the pay bump, but still top 10%-tile even accounting for this step up. If comparing to my current role, the offered salary would place me in top 5%-tile most likely).

I have thus far only mentored more junior co-workers. I have yet to lead a small team. This new job will require me to grow in that respect. I did however interview for a few other team lead positions but didn't get offers for those. So I'm open to doing this as long as I still am hands on with the technical side if the job -- which should be the case.

If the pay increase wasn't top 10% / 33% higher I wouldn't consider moving, but this is substantial. Staying is equivalent to taking a 25% pay cut in terms of opportunity cost. The new offer makes saving more significantly easier as I can pretty much invest the entire after tax amount. It means I can save over 60% more each year towards retirement. That's hard to pass up. Thoughts? Concerns?
Last edited by teos on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

bloom2708
Posts: 4797
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm

Can't help with the decision. It is going to come down to what you can tolerate.

Tread carefully. You don't want a stretch of unemployment and a few week job on your resume very often.

I might be inclined to stay where you are for 1 year. Money is not the end all/be all. Taxes chew up at your top level.

Don't let your current company get wind of this offer/negotiation. Is it a firm offer with a start date? Or just in the process?
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

ExitStageLeft
Posts: 922
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by ExitStageLeft » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Welcome to the forum!

A friend once explained to me how his thought process when dealing with a similar situation. The company that hired you still has a stack of resumes and can find a suitable replacement. You on the other hand don't have a stack of good job offers.

Good luck with your decision.

teos
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by teos » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:25 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Tread carefully. You don't want a stretch of unemployment and a few week job on your resume very often.
I wouldn't put the current job on the resume if I left -- no value added to do that.
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Is it a firm offer with a start date? Or just in the process?
It's a firm offer. They are excited to bring me on (both the recruiting firm and the client). Start date is 2 weeks out give or take.
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Taxes chew up at your top level
Yes, but as I mentioned after taxes I'll be able to increase my savings rate by over 60% each year. And my saving rate is already pretty high. We're talking enough to retire 8-10 years earlier!

teos
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by teos » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:30 pm

You on the other hand don't have a stack of good job offers.
Well... I keep getting residual interview requests coming in either from previous applications every now and then or new recruiters reaching out weekly.
Last edited by teos on Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runner3081
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by runner3081 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Tread carefully. You don't want a stretch of unemployment and a few week job on your resume very often.

I might be inclined to stay where you are for 1 year. Money is not the end all/be all. Taxes chew up at your top level.
Actually, many would disagree (as I do). For a 1-week job, you won't even list it on a resume. It would actually look worse to only stay 1-year and put that on a resume (which you would need to).

Also, this job may not be there in a year.

Go for it OP, take the other job!

ResearchMed
Posts: 7235
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:34 pm

teos wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:25 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Tread carefully. You don't want a stretch of unemployment and a few week job on your resume very often.
I wouldn't put the current job on the resume if I left -- no value added to do that.
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Is it a firm offer with a start date? Or just in the process?
It's a firm offer. They are excited to bring me on (both the recruiting firm and the client). Start date is 2 weeks out give or take.
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Taxes chew up at your top level
Yes, but as I mentioned after taxes I'll be able to increase my savings rate by over 60% each year. And my saving rate is already pretty high. We're talking enough to retire 8-10 years earlier!
It's a firm offer through the recruiter.

How "firm" is it that they'll keep you on after? And at what terms?
That "renegotiation" would worry me at least a bit, vs. what seems to be secure now.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

delamer
Posts: 6138
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by delamer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:34 pm

If the new offer is “significantly better” then why are you hesitating?

I am not saying that to be snarky, but it sounds like the decision is obvious.

You will eliminate all chances for future jobs with your current employer and any future jobs involving anyone you work with there.

bloom2708
Posts: 4797
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:36 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Tread carefully. You don't want a stretch of unemployment and a few week job on your resume very often.

I might be inclined to stay where you are for 1 year. Money is not the end all/be all. Taxes chew up at your top level.
Actually, many would disagree (as I do). For a 1-week job, you won't even list it on a resume. It would actually look worse to only stay 1-year and put that on a resume (which you would need to).

Also, this job may not be there in a year.

Go for it OP, take the other job!
I understand. Just a little omission here. A little fudge there. A title tweak over there. It is a wild world out there.

I guess the OP just should not show up one day and email his new boss (who quickly will be the old boss). Sorry. Took a new job. It's all digital now. :wink:
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

stan1
Posts: 5915
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by stan1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:44 pm

I don't think anonymous voices on the internet can be of much help on this. Talk about it with your spouse or a trusted mentor who knows you well if you have one. Then go with your gut instinct and try to keep a good personal relationship as best you can with the other. Try very hard not to communicate your decision by email; in person is best or phone if you can't do it in person.

teos
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by teos » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:53 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:34 pm
How "firm" is it that they'll keep you on after? And at what terms?
That "renegotiation" would worry me at least a bit, vs. what seems to be secure now.
I asked about that. The recruiting agency tells me that it shouldn't be an issue but it's their job to sell me like any other salesman. So yes there is some concern there. But it's my impression given the role and work that the work will be there after 6 months. The bigger risk is will my job performance in their eyes be worth the top 10% pay. I'd like to think so, but they are offering a lot. Also, in my area about 50% of the jobs are contract-to-hire. It's pretty common in my field. However, I've never took jobs like this before. It's new territory for me but have known others that did it.
delamer wrote: If the new offer is “significantly better” then why are you hesitating?

I am not saying that to be snarky, but it sounds like the decision is obvious.

You will eliminate all chances for future jobs with your current employer and any future jobs involving anyone you work with there.
See the response to the quote above. The other hesitation is that I just started a new job and have some idea what it will be like, but a new job is always an unknown no matter how many questions you ask when interviewing.

Burning bridges -- sure -- but it's a very small company. Low probability of it making a major impact in my life.
stan1 wrote: I don't think anonymous voices on the internet can be of much help on this. Talk about it with ...
I've done that already. I've pretty much much decided to take it, but am open to considering reasons why I shouldn't. I'm still young, so maybe other people have more experience in life and can offer some other perspectives.
bloom2708 wrote: I guess the OP just should not show up one day and email his new boss (who quickly will be the old boss). Sorry. Took a new job. It's all digital now.
That's a bit uncalled for. I've had good tenures at my previous jobs -- and in an industry where it's common for employees to only stay 2 years per employer and a lot of companies poach from each other. My average is significantly higher than that. Also there are some things about my new job I'm not liking and found out after I was hired on. It's really hard to know exactly what a new job will be like until you start working -- despite asking all the questions you can. Employment is at-will. They could let me go tomorrow, next month, next year, whenever if they run into financial trouble. How is that different than me making a business decision to move on to a better role and financial situation that is unexpected? I would expect to hear back from some of the jobs I applied to. I would expect the offers to be in a certain salary range around the median. What I don't expect is top 5-10%-tile pay in my industry and seniority level. Doesn't that change things?

Dottie57
Posts: 4495
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Any offer should be in writing before you let go of current job.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 6015
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by Pajamas » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:19 pm

teos wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Burning bridges -- sure -- but it's a very small company. Low probability of it making a major impact in my life.
Don't underestimate how your reputation will proceed you in the future, even if you work in a large industry in a large city, especially since you are currently in a senior position. Every employee at a small company will be talking about it and something like that will follow you around for years. At least be proactively completely honest with your current employer about why you are leaving because they will find out, anyway.

daveydoo
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:53 am

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by daveydoo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:31 pm

I would not relinquish a permanent job for a six-month term-limited job. I can't tell who you're negotiating with for the second job -- the firm or the head-hunter? The latter just wants to get paid and will clearly tell you anything. The individual recruiter may even have a quota.

Maybe I did not read in enough detail but I would try to clarify with the employer (not the recruiter) why this high-paying gig is not full-time right out of the gate. This sounds a little like a minor-league baseball contract...
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 7802
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Stay where you are for 2 years. 30% culture and the renegotiation.....they could decide that they don't want to keep you after all and there you are on the street with word on the street that you might bolt after a few weeks if an offer is extended.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

BogleBike
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by BogleBike » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Tough call. I would go with your current company.

This is your first time at this level, and you don't sound super confident. You failed several late-round interviews, so either your lack of confidence comes through, or it is partially well founded. By sticking with your current company, you are able to grow at a pace you can handle, with the result that afterwards (1 to 3 years from now) you will be much stronger.

If the job market is still booming then, you'll be in high demand and can rake in a salary hot streak for a little while. If it's not, you'll be really happy to have solid skills and a stable resume. Job hopping is common in boom times, but a stable person with skills looks a lot better than a flighty self-interested job hopper when there's a downturn.

One person's thoughts, anyway. Sorry if this is too blunt. You are saving money already, though. Is the extra $ in the new offer worth the extra risk level?

Focus on your skills and your saving/investing. Include a contingency for downturns. If the boom is still on next year and you've solidified in the new role, accept a few interviews then (outside of work hours if possible).

UnitaryExecutive
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by UnitaryExecutive » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:13 pm

I've been on the other side of this and it's really frustrating from a hiring manager's perspective. Twice, I've had folks just not show up to orientation and tell us they took another offer afterwards. Another time, the person left after a week to be a team lead. In the second case, we actually hired them again after their other gig wasn't what they thought it was because talent is so hard to find and the candidate was super talented.

You may burn bridges if the community is small enough and folks know each other. However, in a tight market, employers just have to kind of deal with it. It does say something about someone's commitment and integrity level when they don't honor commitments.

Also, all things equal, if you can swing it, pick companies with the better culture.

HornedToad
Posts: 888
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:36 am

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by HornedToad » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:17 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:36 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Tread carefully. You don't want a stretch of unemployment and a few week job on your resume very often.

I might be inclined to stay where you are for 1 year. Money is not the end all/be all. Taxes chew up at your top level.
Actually, many would disagree (as I do). For a 1-week job, you won't even list it on a resume. It would actually look worse to only stay 1-year and put that on a resume (which you would need to).

Also, this job may not be there in a year.

Go for it OP, take the other job!
I understand. Just a little omission here. A little fudge there. A title tweak over there. It is a wild world out there.

I guess the OP just should not show up one day and email his new boss (who quickly will be the old boss). Sorry. Took a new job. It's all digital now. :wink:
The resume is the list of relevant experience to the employer to get an interview. That's it. You never lie, but leaving off irrelevant jobs, skills, accomplishments, etc is a frequent occurrence on the resume.

In fact, I get annoyed when I get a 8 page resume of every single little employer, project, contract work, etc that someone has done. Why didn't they simplify it to what was accurate and relevant to my job posting.

stlutz
Posts: 4749
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by stlutz » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:27 pm

If there is as big of a chasm in how much you like the corporate culture between the current job and the potential new job, I'd go with the current job.

retiredjg
Posts: 33881
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by retiredjg » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:42 pm

I guess I'll be in the minority here.

You made a commitment to a small company which has spent time and money to get you on board. They have made you welcome and apparently have stuck to what they have promised.

In my old fashioned opinion, a person of character would honor that.

UnitaryExecutive
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by UnitaryExecutive » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:45 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:42 pm
I guess I'll be in the minority here.

You made a commitment to a small company which has spent time and money to get you on board. They have made you welcome and apparently have stuck to what they have promised.

In my old fashioned opinion, a person of character would honor that.
Agree with this. All you really have as a person is your integrity and companies with good cultures place a premium on it. Your new employer may never know, but if they do find out, it's a bayesian prior and should weigh into your new boss's opinion about your character.

runner3081
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by runner3081 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:47 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:36 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Tread carefully. You don't want a stretch of unemployment and a few week job on your resume very often.

I might be inclined to stay where you are for 1 year. Money is not the end all/be all. Taxes chew up at your top level.
Actually, many would disagree (as I do). For a 1-week job, you won't even list it on a resume. It would actually look worse to only stay 1-year and put that on a resume (which you would need to).

Also, this job may not be there in a year.

Go for it OP, take the other job!
I understand. Just a little omission here. A little fudge there. A title tweak over there. It is a wild world out there.

I guess the OP just should not show up one day and email his new boss (who quickly will be the old boss). Sorry. Took a new job. It's all digital now. :wink:
It is your resume, you can leave off whatever you want. The resume is a sales sheet. There is no lying involved. I leave non-relevant jobs off my resume every time I apply for something. Resume does not equal application.

KlangFool
Posts: 10197
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by KlangFool » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:51 pm

OP,

My gut feeling tells me that your gut feeling tells you not to take the new job. You are trying to sell yourself that it is no big deal and it is normal to be 6 months contract to permanent hire. And, you will be able to negotiate at a higher salary. Listen to your instinct. It tells you that there is something wrong with the new job.

If you are trying too hard to convince yourself, there is something wrong. Listen to your heart.

If they offer you a permanent position with the salary level that you want, take it. If not, just say no. Why should you walk away from a permanent position and take a contract position on a weak promise of an external recruiter?

The new job smells bad. Walk away.

KlangFool

togb
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by togb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:05 pm

I might be old fashioned, and in the minority. But your current employer offered you a job, when you needed one. You accepted it. That does give you some obligation to them.

If the other company knows you have accepted a job, and is encouraging you to ditch a job you accepted, that would be a little flag for me. (sort of like someone who will hire you knowing you don't give notice).

Finally I'm a little leery that you seem to be relying upon the recruiter, not the hiring leader. Recruiters recruit, but rarely have the authority to make commitments on some of the matters you mention. So if you really want to jump ship, think about whether you can do so in a way that makes you feel ok character-wise, and be sure that you are locked in and solid on what you are moving towards.

Best of luck.

cantos
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by cantos » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:22 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:36 pm

I understand. Just a little omission here. A little fudge there. A title tweak over there. It is a wild world out there.

I guess the OP just should not show up one day and email his new boss (who quickly will be the old boss). Sorry. Took a new job. It's all digital now. :wink:
If you are implying that every little thing has to be on a resume, you are way off the mark. The resume is not a catalog of everything you've ever done every contiguous second.

OP: tough choice. I'd go with company culture if I knew one to be better than the other. That said, I doubt you really know. In my experience, the only way to REALLY know is to be there and do it, and you obviously haven't experienced the new job yet. I know some people really like to assign numbers and rankings to things that cannot be quantified, because somehow that might make sense to them. For me, it doesn't offer any clarity. Opportunity costs are always around the corner - the more decisions you have to make, the less happier you'll be. If you are satisfied with your current situation, stay with it. If you are unsatisfied, move on.

User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 1283
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:46 pm

The new offer doesn't seem significantly better to me:

- New offer is a "temp" contract position the first six months. The contracting company is acting as middle man and likely offering you minimal benefits. Why is the new company afraid of investing in you as an employee from day one?

- New offer took a while to get back with you. New offer is using an agency. Red flags.

- Megacorps almost always pay 20% - 30% more than a small corp, so I don't see this as anything rare. There are reasons why they pay more, but don't consider it easy money.

bltn
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:32 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by bltn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:54 pm

I don t think I would leave my sure thing job for a 6 month trial job, after which a permanent job offer will have to be negotiated. I wouldn't t be sure the permanent job would pay significantly better than my current new job.
Give the new job a chance.

gotester2000
Posts: 582
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:59 am

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by gotester2000 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:41 am

I have a little opposite experience. Small companies tend to pay more than MegaCorp as they are unable to attract skilled talent comparatively.
MegaCorp will give you more opportunity to move in your career with titles, roles and projects. Small company may value you more but you are stuck with a role for long duration.
I would definitely choose a MegaCorp at career start, get experience and probably switch to small after a decade or two.
The problem you have is it is a contract to hire position which means evaluation in 6 months - if you are confident then you should take it - nobody knows if small company closes shop in 6 months.

PhilosophyAndrew
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:06 am

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:34 am

retiredjg wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:42 pm
I guess I'll be in the minority here.

You made a commitment to a small company which has spent time and money to get you on board. They have made you welcome and apparently have stuck to what they have promised.

In my old fashioned opinion, a person of character would honor that.
+1

Doubts about the permanency of the new job aside, it seems shabby to take the new offer. Your integrity matters more to you career development than a pay bump.

Andy.

michaeljc70
Posts: 3602
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:13 am

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:51 pm
OP,

My gut feeling tells me that your gut feeling tells you not to take the new job. You are trying to sell yourself that it is no big deal and it is normal to be 6 months contract to permanent hire. And, you will be able to negotiate at a higher salary. Listen to your instinct. It tells you that there is something wrong with the new job.

If you are trying too hard to convince yourself, there is something wrong. Listen to your heart.

If they offer you a permanent position with the salary level that you want, take it. If not, just say no. Why should you walk away from a permanent position and take a contract position on a weak promise of an external recruiter?

The new job smells bad. Walk away.

KlangFool
I agree. Unless the contract states a suitable salary if/when hired, I wouldn't consider it. That is often negotiated before you take the temporary job. Even then, there is no guarantee they will hire you after 6 months. Of course, there is no guarantee the current job won't fire you in 6 months either.

RickBoglehead
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:23 am

retiredjg wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:42 pm
I guess I'll be in the minority here.

You made a commitment to a small company which has spent time and money to get you on board. They have made you welcome and apparently have stuck to what they have promised.

In my old fashioned opinion, a person of character would honor that.
This ^^^

OP has kept interviewing, which if I was his current boss, would be a big strike against him.

Years ago I took a job, and shortly thereafter got a call from a former senior boss (my boss' boss) at a former company, who was in a new role. He told me he wanted ME, i.e. wasn't going to interview anyone else. We discussed it for a while, then he said "you know, I'm a schmuck for calling you. You just took a job, and it would be wrong to leave them suddenly."

In hindsight, I should have left, but I didn't know that then.

michaeljc70
Posts: 3602
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:26 am

I get people talking about "integrity". However, in this era, there is no job security (in general). Companies merge, layoff people and go under all the time. They make offers and then withdraw them. They can fire you at any time for any reason. It cannot be one sided IMO. Ultimately, you have to do what is best for you and your family and not some faceless corporation. In this case though, it is debatable if leaving is really better.

JHU ALmuni
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by JHU ALmuni » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:44 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:26 am
I get people talking about "integrity". However, in this era, there is no job security (in general). Companies merge, layoff people and go under all the time. They make offers and then withdraw them. They can fire you at any time for any reason. It cannot be one sided IMO. Ultimately, you have to do what is best for you and your family and not some faceless corporation. In this case though, it is debatable if leaving is really better.
+1

mouses
Posts: 3744
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by mouses » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:52 pm

Leaving has nothing to do with integrity. Any company will toss you overboard without blinking, so you owe them nothing.

I am concerned that the new possibility does not look like a firm long term offer. Recruiters lie. I would not take it unless the company itself committed in writing to a full time position.

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by 8foot7 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:08 pm

I would not leave a firm job for a temp. Promises evaporate and they owe you nothing. Plus you will decidedly piss off e regime you currently work with. If the job were firm directly with the company and not a six month temp through another firm it might be different. As it stands I think your leaving for this would be a poor decision.

staythecourse
Posts: 6016
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by staythecourse » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:29 pm

mouses wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:52 pm
Leaving has nothing to do with integrity. Any company will toss you overboard without blinking, so you owe them nothing.

I am concerned that the new possibility does not look like a firm long term offer. Recruiters lie. I would not take it unless the company itself committed in writing to a full time position.
Bingo. The fallacy of EVERY worker is their overconfidence in their skill set. Everyone is replaceable. The fact that the new job offer is not even a real perm. offer already spells what they are thinking, "Well lets get him in here and see if he meshes and keep interviewing and if it works great if not we will have someone ready to go by x date" .

I would not be jumping ship of ANY job without some security the new job is a permanent one (which you don't have here).

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

limeyx
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by limeyx » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:58 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Tread carefully. You don't want a stretch of unemployment and a few week job on your resume very often.

I might be inclined to stay where you are for 1 year. Money is not the end all/be all. Taxes chew up at your top level.
Actually, many would disagree (as I do). For a 1-week job, you won't even list it on a resume. It would actually look worse to only stay 1-year and put that on a resume (which you would need to).

Also, this job may not be there in a year.

Go for it OP, take the other job!
I agree. Go for it

limeyx
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by limeyx » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:01 pm

UnitaryExecutive wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:13 pm
I've been on the other side of this and it's really frustrating from a hiring manager's perspective. Twice, I've had folks just not show up to orientation and tell us they took another offer afterwards. Another time, the person left after a week to be a team lead. In the second case, we actually hired them again after their other gig wasn't what they thought it was because talent is so hard to find and the candidate was super talented.

You may burn bridges if the community is small enough and folks know each other. However, in a tight market, employers just have to kind of deal with it. It does say something about someone's commitment and integrity level when they don't honor commitments.

Also, all things equal, if you can swing it, pick companies with the better culture.
Well maybe your compensation is not high enough or the work/job interesting enough to retain ...
Also, corporations are more than happy to let go hundreds or thousands of workers at the drop of a hat so it's hardly surprising that employees act the same way honestly

teos
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by teos » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:19 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:51 pm
OP,

My gut feeling tells me that your gut feeling tells you not to take the new job. You are trying to sell yourself that it is no big deal and it is normal to be 6 months contract to permanent hire. And, you will be able to negotiate at a higher salary. Listen to your instinct. It tells you that there is something wrong with the new job.

If you are trying too hard to convince yourself, there is something wrong. Listen to your heart.

If they offer you a permanent position with the salary level that you want, take it. If not, just say no. Why should you walk away from a permanent position and take a contract position on a weak promise of an external recruiter?

The new job smells bad. Walk away.

KlangFool
You are correct, I have this feeling in my gut that this job is a bad idea despite many of my friends and family thinking I should go for it (primarily due to the pay difference).

To make matters worse, the recruiting firm pushed me to take the role when I asked for some time to think it over. They wanted a decision asap (within a day or two) and offered a little bit more for the role as an incentive. I signed the offer... but am regretting it now, especially after seeing more responses on this forum. I've always worked as a full time employee so I'm not familiar with contract-to-hire roles. I didn't realize the level of risk that this entails although had some concern. I read two separate articles on-line from former recruiters about contract-to-hire roles and this is enough to convince me to proceed would be a mistake.

So the question now is... what do I do now? How do I back out in a way to cause the least amount of damage? My current employer knows nothing of this.

Btw, other red flags:
  • I never stepped foot into the office I'll be working at (all interviews where over the phone and with people working elsewhere for the client)
  • The pay seems too good to be true (unless they'll expect me to work long hours?). The top 10%-ile is for the role at the company according to paysa. Why so high? My skills are good but I've never lead a team before, so why offer me top 10 percentile pay?
  • I don't like what the company does overall despite finding the role intriguing in terms of the area of work I'd be involved with. By contrast my current company is doing something for a "good cause".
Last edited by teos on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by 8foot7 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:29 pm

How long has it been since you signed? If only a couple of days just tell them you changed your mind.

teos
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by teos » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:31 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:29 pm
How long has it been since you signed? If only a couple of days just tell them you changed your mind.
Yes this is correct.

michaeljc70
Posts: 3602
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:41 pm

teos wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:19 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:51 pm
OP,

My gut feeling tells me that your gut feeling tells you not to take the new job. You are trying to sell yourself that it is no big deal and it is normal to be 6 months contract to permanent hire. And, you will be able to negotiate at a higher salary. Listen to your instinct. It tells you that there is something wrong with the new job.

If you are trying too hard to convince yourself, there is something wrong. Listen to your heart.

If they offer you a permanent position with the salary level that you want, take it. If not, just say no. Why should you walk away from a permanent position and take a contract position on a weak promise of an external recruiter?

The new job smells bad. Walk away.

KlangFool
You are correct, I have this feeling in my gut that this job is a bad idea despite many of my friends and family thinking I should go for it (primarily due to the pay difference).

To make matters worse, the recruiting firm pushed me to take the role when I asked for some time to think it over. They wanted a decision asap (within a day or two) and offered a little bit more for the role as an incentive. I signed the offer... but am regretting it now, especially after seeing more responses on this forum. I've always worked as a full time employee so I'm not familiar with contract-to-hire roles. I didn't realize the level of risk that this entails although had some concern. I read two separate articles on-line from former recruiters about contract-to-hire roles and this is enough to convince me to proceed would be a mistake.

So the question now is... what do I do now? How do I back out in a way to cause the least amount of damage? My current employer knows nothing of this.

Btw, other red flags:
  • I never stepped foot into the office I'll be working at (all interviews where over the phone and with people working elsewhere for the client)
  • The pay seems too good to be true (unless they'll expect me to work long hours?). The top 10%-ile is for the role at the company according to paysa. Why so high? My skills are good but I've never lead a team before, so why offer me top 10 percentile pay?
  • I don't like what the company does overall despite finding the role intriguing in terms of the area of work I'd be involved with. By contrast my current company is doing something for a "good cause".
You aren't comparing apples to apple with pay. A temporary job is like a contract job and SHOULD pay quite a bit more. I worked as a contract worker most of my life and always made more than employees. I had to take on the risk/downtime of finding the next job and the uncertainty. I also didn't get benefits (though it sounds like you would in this job).

KlangFool
Posts: 10197
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by KlangFool » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:49 pm

teos wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:31 pm
8foot7 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:29 pm
How long has it been since you signed? If only a couple of days just tell them you changed your mind.
Yes this is correct.
teos,

1) What damage? Just tell them that you change your mind. Their offer is not good enough.

2) They treat you like a dummy. They offer you less with a contract job. So, you just wise up.

KlangFool

P.S.: For any major decision, I always listen to my heart. There is inner wisdom within all of us. It will tell us if something does not smell and feel right.

MathWizard
Posts: 3005
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by MathWizard » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:05 pm

I'd say go for the newer job if you can do the work.

Like most of us, you probably live in an at will employment state.
As such, the loyalty factor should not enter into this so much.

If you are only a few weeks in, the company you are at will not have invested much in training on you.

Yes it a hassle for them, but if you are that valuable, why isn't the current company paying you close to what the other company will?
You will have more responsibilities in the new job, make sure you can do them, or you maybe unemployed again. You will likely not be able to return to your current job, do make the new one work.

I had someone leave after 15 months, and he felt bad telling me he was leaving. I told him not to worry about it, he was doing what was right for his family. I just asked that we keep ourselves in each other's professional network.

When you put in your notice, just let your boss know that a great offer for your career landed in your lap, and that you would be doing your family a disservice not to take it.

If the company does not understand that your family has more priority in your life than the company, then it would be good to leave. You are not an endentured servant

rjbraun
Posts: 1233
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by rjbraun » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:44 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:47 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:36 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Tread carefully. You don't want a stretch of unemployment and a few week job on your resume very often.

I might be inclined to stay where you are for 1 year. Money is not the end all/be all. Taxes chew up at your top level.
Actually, many would disagree (as I do). For a 1-week job, you won't even list it on a resume. It would actually look worse to only stay 1-year and put that on a resume (which you would need to).

Also, this job may not be there in a year.

Go for it OP, take the other job!
I understand. Just a little omission here. A little fudge there. A title tweak over there. It is a wild world out there.

I guess the OP just should not show up one day and email his new boss (who quickly will be the old boss). Sorry. Took a new job. It's all digital now. :wink:
It is your resume, you can leave off whatever you want. The resume is a sales sheet. There is no lying involved. I leave non-relevant jobs off my resume every time I apply for something. Resume does not equal application.
Interesting point. In that case is the expectation OP would or should include the current job, even if it's short-lived, on future job applications? How much does the exact wording of the application weigh in? If it says "List all prior positions" presumably the expectation is OP should include the short stint, is that right? And, if it just says "List prior positions (without explicitly stating "ALL" (though one might argue that it is assumed or implied))" and let's say the application leaves space for dates, would it be considered okay for OP to omit the current job?

runner3081
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by runner3081 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:51 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:44 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:47 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:36 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm
Tread carefully. You don't want a stretch of unemployment and a few week job on your resume very often.

I might be inclined to stay where you are for 1 year. Money is not the end all/be all. Taxes chew up at your top level.
Actually, many would disagree (as I do). For a 1-week job, you won't even list it on a resume. It would actually look worse to only stay 1-year and put that on a resume (which you would need to).

Also, this job may not be there in a year.

Go for it OP, take the other job!
I understand. Just a little omission here. A little fudge there. A title tweak over there. It is a wild world out there.

I guess the OP just should not show up one day and email his new boss (who quickly will be the old boss). Sorry. Took a new job. It's all digital now. :wink:
It is your resume, you can leave off whatever you want. The resume is a sales sheet. There is no lying involved. I leave non-relevant jobs off my resume every time I apply for something. Resume does not equal application.
Interesting point. In that case is the expectation OP would or should include the current job, even if it's short-lived, on future job applications? How much does the exact wording of the application weigh in? If it says "List all prior positions" presumably the expectation is OP should include the short stint, is that right? And, if it just says "List prior positions (without explicitly stating "ALL" (though one might argue that it is assumed or implied))" and let's say the application leaves space for dates, would it be considered okay for OP to omit the current job?
Most applications say to list all jobs held in the last x number of years. In this case, I would list it. Otherwise, it could bite you later.

Back in my HR days, fired around 10 people, prior to (offer withdrawn), or within a few days of starting for falsifying their application.

Murgatroyd
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by Murgatroyd » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:10 pm

teos wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:19 pm
Btw, other red flags:
  • I never stepped foot into the office I'll be working at (all interviews where over the phone
  • The pay seems too good to be true (unless they'll expect me to work long hours?). The top 10%-ile is for the role at the company according to paysa. Why so high? My skills are good but I've never lead a team before, so why offer me top 10 percentile pay?
  • I don't like what the company does overall despite finding the role intriguing in terms of the area of work I'd be involved with. By contrast my current company is doing something for a "good cause".
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

I read the entire thread and the above in bold LEAPED off the page.
Never met anyone?
Don’t like the business?
Stunning.

User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by Elsebet » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:27 pm

I have to agree with others that leaving a full-time position for a temp-to-hire one is very risky. You will be at a negotiating disadvantage in six months since if you do not take their offer you are effectively unemployed. You will also be under the gun to deliver in those six months in a position that you have never had before.

User avatar
JaneyLH
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by JaneyLH » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:28 pm

UnitaryExecutive wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:13 pm
You may burn bridges if the community is small enough and folks know each other. However, in a tight market, employers just have to kind of deal with it. It does say something about someone's commitment and integrity level when they don't honor commitments.
I'm in my early 60s and retired -- but having had the layoff experience three times over 35 years, I know companies don't commit to you and sometimes sever the relationship without a second thought even if you are an outstanding employee.

I quit a job for another job that materialized unexpectedly once early in my career, right after having been promoted within the first year to my first management position. The new offer allowed me to give up a long commute and move from one a small software company to Megacorp, which offered me tons more opportunity. It turned out to be a great move.

Don't waste a year or two in a sub-optimal job if you truly have a better option doing something you are passionate about. But carefully evaluate the security of starting in a contract position and expecting to move into full time employment. I'd recommend a direct conversation with the hiring manager instead of with the recruiter so you have first-hand information about their intent.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48080
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Few weeks into new job recieved significantly better offer elsewhere

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:03 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:10 pm
teos wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:19 pm
Btw, other red flags:
  • I never stepped foot into the office I'll be working at (all interviews where over the phone
  • The pay seems too good to be true (unless they'll expect me to work long hours?). The top 10%-ile is for the role at the company according to paysa. Why so high? My skills are good but I've never lead a team before, so why offer me top 10 percentile pay?
  • I don't like what the company does overall despite finding the role intriguing in terms of the area of work I'd be involved with. By contrast my current company is doing something for a "good cause".
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

I read the entire thread and the above in bold LEAPED off the page.
Never met anyone?
Don’t like the business?
Stunning.
^^^ Exactly.

If you've never seen this office, how do you know for sure what your role will be? Once you've signed the offer, they can change the role to anything they want - and it will still fit within the legal bounds of your job description.

You have no idea on the office environment, which will tell you more than anything about working there.

For all of the above reasons, and especially Murgatroyd's post, do not take this job.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Post Reply