Question for the sales/business development reps

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Plan4tomorrow

Question for the sales/business development reps

Post by Plan4tomorrow » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:25 pm

Im about 15 years into my illustrious (kidding!) sales career. As difficult as the grind to find new business can be, I’ve come to the conclusion that I belong in a sales/business development position. I’ve worked hard and been well rewarded for my effort.

I feel like I’ve hit a wall lately and am wondering what others have done to stay motivated and engaged. I just switched companies within the last few years but still have this feeling.

Thank you for reading

Nissanzx1

Re: Question for the sales/business development reps

Post by Nissanzx1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:33 pm

I do outside sales for wholesale wine/spirits distribution company for 11 years now. Pay is okay but not great, but I enjoy the work. They way they structure the pay- there is no other choice than to stay motivated.

I'm motivated by my need to beef up retirement at the moment.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:59 am

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (career guidance).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Nissanzx1 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:33 pm
I do outside sales for wholesale wine/spirits distribution company for 11 years now. Pay is okay but not great, but I enjoy the work. They way they structure the pay- there is no other choice than to stay motivated.

I'm motivated by my need to beef up retirement at the moment.
15+ years in sales career here as well. It is a grind much of the time. Every day, start of the month, start of the quarter, start of the year is a new quota and goal to attain. It's not easy, it's definitely not for everyone, but that is the absolute main reason it pays so damn well. You earn it. You have to find a way to stay enthused and engaged and moving forward. I am fortunate in that I WFH so if I have a down day or slow day, I simply go lift weights or hit the beach or take the kid to the zoo or something, take an afternoon off to recharge. Then I work 10 hours the next day to refocus. I'm not sure where I would be if I was still reporting into a cubicle every single day being micromanaged. YMMV.

As Nissan said, you need to enjoy the work, but also you must enjoy and understand the pay structure and how it is designed to always keep you motivated. I really love 50/50 comp plans because it forces me to want and need to blow it out, make a ton of money, and get "the other half of my compensation" because it is variable. And if I do it right, I can make a lot more than another 50%.

I am also motivated by having a SAH-spouse and baby girl. Someone has to pay the bills and save for her 529! I don't have an option.

If that is not the case for you in your current role, then perhaps change industries. There are a million widgets to sell from farm equipment to software to payroll services to cars to homes to whatever. Some pay well, some pay great, some mint millionaires every year. I am boggled by how many "average joe" realtors there are here in Socal that can do so well with such sub-par skills. All it takes is a simple RE certificate and some hustle and a network and you can make 100k. If you are great you can make multiples of that year in year out. Go find something that intrigues you. If you truly have sales talent, you should be able to go sell anything. That's how I position myself when going for different roles than are on my resume.

Maybe time to change employer / role / entire industry?
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

MP173

Post by MP173 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Twenty eight plus years with the same company and I still enjoy the sales career....although changes are in the mix at a more rapid pace than ever before (that I can recall).

I am not motivated at a high level at all times, but that is healthy for me. Is it possible to go at 100% at all times? Probably not. I concur with Gunn Show...there are times when it just isnt happening and that is the time you back off and take a little personal time. BTW, I am entitled to 5 weeks vacation and seldom take more than 2 weeks per year and that will involve answering phone calls, emails, and taking care of customer needs during any trips or time off.

I cannot image doing anything else and will more than likely finish my working career in sales, hopefully with the same employer. My income is nearly all variable income and expenses come out of my own pocket. Thus, it is almost like my own business...which is how it was established years ago. It works for me and several others but the new hires struggle (their expenses are re-imbursed).

Challenges today include the nature of the client - sales relationship. It is evolving dramatically, particularly the past several years. Where as early in my career it was normal to see 20 - 30 people per week, today that figure is less than 5 per week. Developing new clients is a challenge as it is very difficult to set up appointments (people seldom answer the phone, nor do they respond to emails). BTW I am in B2B, not consumer sales to individuals.
However, my customer base is very loyal and the most of my book of business is repeat orders. I enjoy developing new customers, even the "cold calling" aspect, but it has changed.

I have developed the "Sunday Night Rule"...how do I feel on Sunday night around 8pm....am I ready for the new week? Most of the time yes. In my previous career (again over 28 years ago), Sunday nights were dreaded. I still have that passion. It really helps that I work out of my home and can avoid the cubicle kingdom.

Find something and a company in which you can make a very good living and enjoy the sales environment.

Ed