BB&T banking

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Fire wicket

BB&T banking

Post by Fire wicket » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:12 pm

Does anyone use bb and t banking here. I am getting charged 3 dollars for external transfers to Vangaurd and fidelity for ever transaction...I’m surprised by this and am wondering if other have encountered this or if there is a work around.

Thanks as always.

Katietsu

Re: BB&T banking

Post by Katietsu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:21 pm

What kind of account? What kind of transfer of funds? This does not seem typical to me.

Are you getting charged for every transaction or are you exceeding the allowable number of transactions? Have you asked the bank customer service?

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:27 pm

https://www.bbt.com/sites/bbtcom/apps/o ... edule.page

I only transfer into my BB&T checking from my Credit Union, so I don't get a charge.

I do use their ATM to withdraw cash from my FIDO IMA account, but the $3 charge by BB&T is reimbursed; that's a function of FIDO, not BB&T.

FWIW,

- Ron

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:24 am

Fire wicket wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:12 pm
Does anyone use bb and t banking here. I am getting charged 3 dollars for external transfers to Vangaurd and fidelity for ever transaction...I’m surprised by this and am wondering if other have encountered this or if there is a work around.

Thanks as always.
OP, assume you are initiating the transfer out from the BB&T side? If so, same experience with Bank of America. To avoid that I always initiate the transaction from the other financial institution - where there are no fees (which is pretty much any broker or online bank). It seems this is a B&M bank thing.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:41 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:24 am
Fire wicket wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks as always.
OP, assume you are initiating the transfer out from the BB&T side? If so, same experience with Bank of America. To avoid that I always initiate the transaction from the other financial institution - where there are no fees (which is pretty much any broker or online bank). It seems this is a B&M bank thing.
+1
I bank at a credit union. There is no charges for incoming or outgoing transfers (standard delivery) of <$2500 and a $3 fee for a transfer (standard delivery) from my account if >= $2500 (i.e., pushed transaction). There is no mention in the fee schedule for pulled transactions of >= $2500. (Expedited transactions have a $5 fee in either direction). Therefore, I also iniatiate any transactions to VG from the VG side to avoid any fees.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:55 am

My checking is with BB&T and I have no charges of any type. As mentioned by others, you should be pulling and pushing to BB&T and not initiating the transfer with the bank.
Gill

Fire wicket

Post by Fire wicket » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies. It is an elite checking account. I have spoken with customer service and they have confirmed the fees are correct. I will try initiating from outside institution and see if I am still charged...if so I’ll be changing to a credit union.