Received IRS notice CP 2000 asking more tax. Need help.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ram

Received IRS notice CP 2000 asking more tax. Need help.

Post by ram » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:52 pm

For 2016 my wife and I filed a joint return by using Turbo Tax. Yesterday I received IRS letter ( notice CP 2000) stating that I need to pay more tax.
The additional tax demanded pertains to two things:
1) Withdrawal from 529 plans:
I have one dependent, my daughter who was a 2nd year medical student for the initial 6 months of the year and 3rd year medical student for the second 6 months of the year.
She has a full tuition scholarship so we pay no tuition.
I used the published living expenses from the university website ( and have a printout). I added 50% of 2nd year expenses and 50% of 3rd year expenses and the total comes to $25,974 for 12 months.
I had withdrawn $ 24,509 from two 529 plans ( my state and Vanguard /Nevada). Of this $9072 was the earnings portion. The IRS has added all of the 9072 as income and so the taxes on it have been added.
My contention is that the withdrawal is lesser than the living expenses and so no additional taxes are due.
(I may have made wrong entries while filling turbo tax)

2. Edit : My mistake : The second pertains to the 10% penalty( $907) for withdrawing 529 funds apparently for non educational purposes. But this is not true as stated above.

[Incorrect information provided in initial post: The second issue pertains to backdoor Roths for both of us. We are not eligible for Roths due to high income. As is commonly discussed on this Board we start our Traditional IRAs with zero balance on Jan 1, then add 6500 in early Jan and flip it to Roth in a day or two. Each account earned $0.07 interest in a money market account in Trad IRA before it was flipped to a Roth. I have been asked to pay a tax of $907 for "Tax on qualified plans including IRA's." There is no further explanation. ( Added: Form 8606 was filled for each of us with the initial tax filing)
I have never withdrawn any amount from 401K, 457 etc in my life. ]

Please advice. I am planning to see a local accountant which some of my colleagues use but would like the advice of the people on this board. I have seen some prior threads about letters for tax on backdoor Roths in the past. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by ram on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ram

47Percent

Re: Received IRS notice CP 2000 asking more tax. Need help.

Post by 47Percent » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:12 am

ram wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:52 pm
For 2016 my wife and I filed a joint return by using Turbo Tax. Yesterday I received IRS letter ( notice CP 2000) stating that I need to pay more tax.
I have one dependent, my daughter who was a 2nd year medical student for the initial 6 months of the year and 3rd year medical student for the second 6 months of the year.
I used the published living expenses from the university website ( and have a printout). I added 50% of 2nd year expenses and 50% 0f 3rd year expenses and the total comes to $25,974 for 12 months.
I had withdrawn $ 24,509 from two 529 plans ( my state and Vanguard /Nevada). Of this $9072 was the earnings portion. The IRS has has added all of the 9072 as income and so the taxes on it have been added.
My contention is that the withdrawal is lesser than the living expenses and so no additional taxes are due.

2. The second issue pertains to backdoor Roths for both of us. We are not eligible for Roths due to high income. As is commonly discussed on this Board we start our Traditional IRAs with zero balance on Jan 1, then add 6500 in early Jan and flip it to Roth in a day or two. Each account earned $0.07 interest in a money market account in Trad IRA before it was flipped to a Roth. I have been asked to pay a tax of $907 for "Tax on qualified plans including IRA's." There is no further explanation. ( Added: Form 8606 was filled for each of us with the initial tax filing)
I have never withdrawn any amount from 401K, 457 etc in my life.

Please advice. I am planning to see a local accountant which some of my colleagues use but would like the advice of the people on this board. I have seen some prior threads about letters for tax on backdoor Roths in the past. Thanks in advance.

First, search for topic threads with "CP2000" in this forum.

Welcome to the growing club.

I don't think there is any reason to panic. I am not even sure if you really need to see an accountant -- as long as you are sure everything is okay.
Just get all the documents lined up and respond to the notice -- yourself.

Chin up!

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:18 am

The IRS seems to be spewing out a lot of notices, trying to get payments this year, even though many of them are WRONG. I received one jointly with my H, plus we each got it individually as well. My CPA says a number of his clients have received similar notices.

I’d double-check that you’ve properly submitted everything the 1st time, resubmit with their notice advising them that you are resubmitting, and wait patiently. You don’t need to see a local accountant unless it makes you more comfortable to do so—IRS won’t reimburse your time or the expenses of proving you fix everything correctly. :-(

ram

Post by ram » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:35 am

Thanks 47 percent and HI investor. This is reassuring.
Ram

Post by 123 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:56 am

I sort of wonder if the IRS even looks at the actual return before it sends the CP 2000 in cases like these. The CP 2000 could well just be relesed as a result of a computer records (un)matching program. It may be the IRS only looks at the actual tax return if there is an inquiry or protest after the CP 2000 is released. After all the IRS has little to lose by sending the notices first and mayb looking at the return later if a fuss is raised.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

47Percent

Post by 47Percent » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:09 am

123 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:56 am
I sort of wonder if the IRS even looks at the actual return before it sends the CP 2000 in cases like these. The CP 2000 could well just be relesed as a result of a computer records (un)matching program. It may be the IRS only looks at the actual tax return if there is an inquiry or protest after the CP 2000 is released. After all the IRS has little to lose by sending the notices first and mayb looking at the return later if a fuss is raised.
You know that the CP in CP2000 stands for Computer Program, right?!

Post by 123 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:22 am

47Percent wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:09 am
123 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:56 am
You know that the CP in CP2000 stands for Computer Program, right?!
I do now.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:40 am

ram wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:35 am
ram, I got one too relating to qualified expenses and the AOTC. See here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=253141&p=4004768&hilit=IRS#p4004768

Responded on May 24th (one day after I received the notice) with a detailed response. Two weeks ago received a notice that they were "reviewing my response" and would get back to me within 60 days. Still no word back. I did write a detailed response and provided backup documentation to support Tuition paid (copies of University account statements with notes in the margin to tie things together).

I am hoping that will suffice, but 7 weeks in still await their final response.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:55 am

Note my reply to MikeG62's post linked above. No receipts, no back-up documentation, just the letter stating the dollar amount of college expenses. I figured if the IRS asked for details we could provide them, but no reason to answer a question they hadn't asked. That was enough to settle the issue.

You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:06 am

Hi Ram,

I want to provide some reassurance and also provide a rare shout-out to an IRS phone representative.

A few years ago, we received a thick envelope from the IRS containing a similar CP2000 notice and book of instructions. After wading through everything, it became clear the IRS didn’t understand my two sons’ college expenses, so they thought we had some unqualified 529 withdrawals. (Like you, I may have entered data in the wrong place in TurboTax; still not sure about that.) They added some of the withdrawals to my taxable income. That increase then affected the partial deductibility of IRA contributions we had made because we were in the phase-out range. So, that further increased our taxes due, in their calculations. To make matters worse, for some unknown reason the IRA-related tax increase was listed twice, doubling the amount due for that. It was confusing at first, particularly since we had never received a CP2000 before.

After I figured out what was happening, I got my records together and went through them, including my separate spreadsheet for college expenses, so that I was well-versed in the details of what had happened two years prior. That was kind of like studying for an oral exam.

I then called the IRS and was eventually connected with a good phone rep. We went over the CP2000 notice together. The IRS rep quickly agreed with me that the double IRA-related tax was an obvious duplication error. Regarding the college expenses, I explained them and at one point said something like, the IRS should have received two 1098-T’s for my sons, so somewhere you should be able to verify that. He asked me how much we spent in total for college expenses that year. Since I had my records in front of me, I answered him immediately. (Like you, I had included cost of living expenses from the college’s published data.)

He then closed the case over the phone. I didn’t have to send in anything! I was a little worried about not replying in writing by their CP2000 deadline, but he said it wasn’t necessary. He said he would take care of it, and he did. That conversation took less than 15 minutes, once I got to the right IRS guy.

This particular phone rep obviously had the authority to make decisions. And it appeared to me he was motivated to get things done and not waste time on fruitless pursuits. Well done.

So, my advice is to get your ducks lined up, and then call the IRS. Oh, the horror!

Best of luck to you.

Sincerely,
You Know What I Mean

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:15 am

I can see that the IRS has programmed its algorithms so that any living expenses for a student of more than $15,000 a year would create a need for a special explanation and the easiest way to get that explanation is to send a CP2000 to the taxpayer. Probably only 3 tax returns nationally every year would get hit with that.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:28 am

ram wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:52 pm
I used the published living expenses from the university website ( and have a printout). I added 50% of 2nd year expenses and 50% of 3rd year expenses and the total comes to $25,974 for 12 months.
I had withdrawn $ 24,509 from two 529 plans ( my state and Vanguard /Nevada). Of this $9072 was the earnings portion. The IRS has added all of the 9072 as income and so the taxes on it have been added.
Hi Ram: I have received that same CP2000 letter from the IRS for three different tax years (2012, 2013 and 2015). Three years ago I responded in a thread and included the letter that KPMG composed to respond to the IRS in regards to this CP2000 letter. Feel free to use their language in your response if you desire.

viewtopic.php?t=159770

It is clear that the IRS doesn't have any information on the college expenses that you incurred, but that is true for most taxpayers. My belief is that a large distribution from the 529 account (maybe along with no tax deduction for college costs) triggers this letter. In each of the three years for which I received the IRS letter, my 529 distributions were over $25k....and I earned too much to qualify for college tax deductions.

The fact that you received the letter simply means that the IRS would like you to confirm that you had college expenses that exceed the amount you withdrew from the 529 account. A simple response letter will settle the issue, without any further tax obligation on your part.

Best wishes.
Andy

Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:13 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:40 am
ram wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:35 am
ram, I got one too relating to qualified expenses and the AOTC. See here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=253141&p=4004768&hilit=IRS#p4004768

Responded on May 24th (one day after I received the notice) with a detailed response. Two weeks ago received a notice that they were "reviewing my response" and would get back to me within 60 days. Still no word back. I did write a detailed response and provided backup documentation to support Tuition paid (copies of University account statements with notes in the margin to tie things together).

I am hoping that will suffice, but 7 weeks in still await their final response.
Mike: I got the same CP2000 letter for the 2015 tax year. I responded to the IRS on September 15th. On October 24th, the IRS responded with their "we got your letter, let us review it" statement. On January 2nd, I got the final letter from the IRS with their "All is good, you don't owe anything" letter.

Don't worry once you have sent them the appropriate documentation and information. The ball is in their court.

Best wishes.
Andy

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 am

I have received two of these over the years, both unsubstantiated when responding. Good luck. Hopefully, it was an error in entering data in TT or something simple like that. Congratulations on your daughter being in med school on full scholarship.

Tim

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:51 am

Pretty sure you have to use actual expenses with the 529. You can't just use estimates from the school's website.

Your registrar/billing transcript would be a better source doc. If you can match the expenses on that with allowable 529 expenses then you're fine.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:04 am

It doesn't have to be an error. If all of your 529 withdrawals are for qualified educational expenses, and you are not claiming any educational tax credits or deductions, then there is no required reporting with the tax filing. If the IRS sends you a CP2000, you can report expenses at that time.

While it is certainly advisable to keep good records of expenses, and may be necessary in the case of a full audit, it is not necessary to provide all of those details in the CP2000 response letter. My decades of Megacorp experience taught me the valuable lesson that when auditors are around you answer the specific questions asked, but volunteer nothing. For the CP2000 the name of the student and the school, and a high level summary showing the qualified nature of the expenses is enough. If they have further questions they can ask.

Noalani

Post by Noalani » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:42 pm

You Know What I Mean wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:06 am
Hi Ram,

I want to provide some reassurance and also provide a rare shout-out to an IRS phone representative.

A few years ago, we received a thick envelope from the IRS containing a similar CP2000 notice and book of instructions. After wading through everything, it became clear the IRS didn’t understand my two sons’ college expenses, so they thought we had some unqualified 529 withdrawals. (Like you, I may have entered data in the wrong place in TurboTax; still not sure about that.) They added some of the withdrawals to my taxable income. That increase then affected the partial deductibility of IRA contributions we had made because we were in the phase-out range. So, that further increased our taxes due, in their calculations. To make matters worse, for some unknown reason the IRA-related tax increase was listed twice, doubling the amount due for that. It was confusing at first, particularly since we had never received a CP2000 before.

After I figured out what was happening, I got my records together and went through them, including my separate spreadsheet for college expenses, so that I was well-versed in the details of what had happened two years prior. That was kind of like studying for an oral exam.

I then called the IRS and was eventually connected with a good phone rep. We went over the CP2000 notice together. The IRS rep quickly agreed with me that the double IRA-related tax was an obvious duplication error. Regarding the college expenses, I explained them and at one point said something like, the IRS should have received two 1098-T’s for my sons, so somewhere you should be able to verify that. He asked me how much we spent in total for college expenses that year. Since I had my records in front of me, I answered him immediately. (Like you, I had included cost of living expenses from the college’s published data.)

He then closed the case over the phone. I didn’t have to send in anything! I was a little worried about not replying in writing by their CP2000 deadline, but he said it wasn’t necessary. He said he would take care of it, and he did. That conversation took less than 15 minutes, once I got to the right IRS guy.

This particular phone rep obviously had the authority to make decisions. And it appeared to me he was motivated to get things done and not waste time on fruitless pursuits. Well done.

So, my advice is to get your ducks lined up, and then call the IRS. Oh, the horror!

Best of luck to you.

Sincerely,
You Know What I Mean
I bit the bullet and did the same thing. After a few months of having sent documents by mail and only a form-letter response, I called the IRS phone rep. Our 529 tax matter was also resolved by phone. Basically, he asked what our college expenses were, verified that they exceeded our withdrawals, and he ended it then and there. We received a refund check that had been due us about a month later. Initially horrified at the thought of calling the IRS, I was greatly relieved upon hanging up. It was the best decision I could have made. Be ready to be on hold for a while!
P.S. I found the IRS rep to be friendly and helpful-very service oriented.

Noalani

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:58 pm

TheAccountant wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:51 am
Pretty sure you have to use actual expenses with the 529. You can't just use estimates from the school's website.

Your registrar/billing transcript would be a better source doc. If you can match the expenses on that with allowable 529 expenses then you're fine.
The registrar is not going to have off-campus room & board (living expenses) for a medical school student.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ram

Post by ram » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Thank you all for all the reassuring replies. I will keep you posted.
Ram

ram

Post by ram » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:20 pm

I am the OP.
Received a letter from IRS stating "case closed".
Amount owed 0.00
Thanks to everybody who responded.
Ram

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:10 pm

Thank you, ram, for providing us the update. Glad it worked out for you.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:01 am

Relax, I've had a couple of these, easily resolved. In fact, the net effort on the last one was a long phone call. After explaining myself about 3 times, the agent went away briefly and said "ok, I'm going to change your add'l tax owed to zero, you should get a confirmation letter later".

SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:07 am

Another recommendation for telephoning the IRS. Yes it is a nuisance to wait a half to a full hour for a live agent but that's why cell phones have speakers.

I've been through it twice, once when my response was lost in the mail and a second time for a different tax year when I didn't even bother to send anything by mail. Both times the resolution was reached quickly over the phone with 0 taxes due. The followup letter did not always arrive as quickly as promised. It's nice to get this out of one's hair rather than fret for months.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:02 am

ram wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:20 pm
I am the OP.
Amount owed 0.00
Good to hear ram. I am sure you are relieved to have this sorted.

Our inquiry is still outstanding. After supplying the details proving that the amounts billed by the university were in fact paid, they moved on to suggest we could not take the AOTC in the same year that funds were withdrawn from a 529. Replied over a month ago explaining that this is clearly within the rules (and providing copies of the relevant section of publication 970 - "coordination of 529 withdrawals with AOTC") and pointing out that the tax due on the 529 withdrawal overlap with the AOTC was appropriately calculated and included on line 21 of the form 1040. It's been crickets from the IRS since. Every day I hope to receive a case closed letter from the IRS. It is frustrating that they would suggest something is wrong when the rules clearly contemplate and address what to do in our situation - and we in fact followed the rules.

If they respond with anything other than case closed, I think the next step will be to get on the phone with them.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:02 am
ram wrote:
I am the OP.
Amount owed 0.00

Our inquiry is still outstanding. After supplying the details proving that the amounts billed by the university were in fact paid, they moved on to suggest we could not take the AOTC in the same year that funds were withdrawn from a 529. Replied over a month ago explaining that this is clearly within the rules (and providing copies of the relevant section of publication 970 - "coordination of 529 withdrawals with AOTC") and pointing out that the tax due on the 529 withdrawal overlap with the AOTC was appropriately calculated and included on line 21 of the form 1040. It's been crickets from the IRS since. Every day I hope to receive a case closed letter from the IRS. It is frustrating that they would suggest something is wrong when the rules clearly contemplate and address what to do in our situation - and we in fact followed the rules.

If they respond with anything other than case closed, I think the next step will be to get on the phone with them.
Not to hijack this thread, but finally received a reply from the IRS on 12-6-18 (to our letter from early Sept). Their response said "we are pleased to tell you that the information you provided resolved the tax issue in question and that our inquiry is now closed. Amount due is $0.00."

What a waste of time. Took over six months to resolve something that was simple and straightforward. IRS initial inquiry came on 5-21-18.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:49 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
ram wrote:
I am the OP.
Amount owed 0.00

Not to hijack this thread, but finally received a reply from the IRS on 12-6-18 (to our letter from early Sept). Their response said "we are pleased to tell you that the information you provided resolved the tax issue in question and that our inquiry is now closed. Amount due is $0.00."

What a waste of time. Took over six months to resolve something that was simple and straightforward. IRS initial inquiry came on 5-21-18.
Right there with you. I've started on 8/10/2018 , Responded 8/20 via fax, received same notice as Aug on 11/10, responded 11/15 via certified mail, received letter on 12/7 saying they'll review in 90 days.

ram

Post by ram » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:39 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
ram wrote:
I am the OP.
Amount owed 0.00

Mike,
Nice to know that you also had the problem resolved.
Ram

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:05 am

wfrobinette wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Right there with you. I've started on 8/10/2018 , Responded 8/20 via fax, received same notice as Aug on 11/10, responded 11/15 via certified mail, received letter on 12/7 saying they'll review in 90 days.
You are getting much quicker responses than I did. For both of my replies, the "we have received your response and will get back to you in 60 days" letter's came about 45 days after they received my written response. Then it took roughly another 45 days for the IRS to get back to me after completing their review. Two rounds of responses and that consumed over 6 months time.
ram wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Mike,
Nice to know that you also had the problem resolved.
Thanks Ram. While I was confident my filing complied with the rules, the protracted period of time the IRS took to get back to me was a bit worrying I will admit.

basspond

Post by basspond » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:51 am

I too got a notice for under paying 2017 taxes. I used the capital gains work sheet in instructions to calculate the taxes, like I have done for many years without any problems, but this year they didn’t and the letter said I should use the calculation to lower my payment. Wrote them back with the worksheet attached and now I owe 0.00. I even asked in the letter has anything changed, but didn’t get an answer. I guess I will be attaching the worksheet from now on.

I never received the first notice so I had to call to extend my due date.