Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
User avatar
UpsetRaptor
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:15 pm

Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by UpsetRaptor » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Just for reference, I'm curious what you married-with-kids bogleheads are spending on your combined total credit card expenses each year? The last couple years DW + I have been in the $40-$45K range. Seems high to me when I look at it, though we do have 3 kids and put everything we can on CCs, including all shopping, food, gas, auto/life/umbrella insurance, some bills, and a couple vacations per year. The only expenses that really don't go on there are mortgage and a couple other bills for which we can't use CC or the "convenience" fee equates to >2%.

User avatar
Meg77
Posts: 2392
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Meg77 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 pm

About $110k (no kids though). Like you, pretty much all expenses go on credit cards except our mortgage and property taxes. I think it's pretty common for annual credit card spend to be fairly synonymous with annual spending - and therefore bound to be high in many cases.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

naclt
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by naclt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:38 pm

We average around $3,500 a month so $42k a year. That excludes property taxes, insurance, and basic utilities (water, power, gas).

That’s for a family of 5.

Doctor Rhythm
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Doctor Rhythm » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:49 pm

$50K sounds about ballpark for us (married, one kid) - again with almost everything going on credit cards, including home & auto insurance and any utility that allows it.

User avatar
midareff
Posts: 5733
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Biscayne Bay, South Florida

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by midareff » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Also about $110K. Everything but electric, mortgage, car payment, condo insurance and EFTPS quarterly. Retired with lots of travel.

Phronesis
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:33 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Phronesis » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:26 pm

We're just shy of 40k for a family of 4. We're moderately frugal people in a MCOL area. We eat out maybe once, sometimes twice a week but spend what we want on food otherwise. Put a big vacation on cc's every year. Mortgage isn't on cc, but everything else is. I feel like we live large.

runner3081
Posts: 1622
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by runner3081 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Not much, 100% of expenses except the mortgage. About $28k per year.

Family of 3.

User avatar
TierArtz
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:33 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by TierArtz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:43 pm

We've put 83K on our cc in the last 12 months. That's for a family of 5 in a MCOL area. Everything possible goes on it to max rewards.

livesoft
Posts: 62715
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by livesoft » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 pm

We pay almost everything with a credit card: phone bills, other utilities, insurance, college tuition, plus all the usual stuff. We try to never ever use cash for anything. So about $17 a year.
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

JBTX
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by JBTX » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 pm

We put everything on the card we can.
Last edited by JBTX on Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 19173
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm

Meg77 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 pm
About $110k (no kids though). Like you, pretty much all expenses go on credit cards except our mortgage and property taxes. I think it's pretty common for annual credit card spend to be fairly synonymous with annual spending - and therefore bound to be high in many cases.
You spend $110k a year?!! Wow!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 19173
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:24 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 pm
We pay almost everything with a credit card: phone bills, other utilities, insurance, college tuition, plus all the usual stuff. We try to never ever use cash for anything. So about $17 a year.
Seventeen dollars!?? Sign me up! I can retire in 5 years at that rate of spending.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

User avatar
gasdoc
Posts: 1527
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:26 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by gasdoc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:42 pm

$120,000 per year.

Gasdoc

Rick Rock
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Rick Rock » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:43 pm

About $50k. Family of 4 with two little ones, MCOL. We don't pay cash for anything except house cleaning 2x/month.

Early replies in this thread make me feel pretty good about our spending. The number seemed a little fat to me at first...

e5116
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:22 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by e5116 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Well, when I have $40k+ in daycare costs (two children) that can be paid via credit card (starting in September), things add up quickly! :oops: And business expenses which fluctuate widely, easily over $100k in credit card spend. Probably $70k-ish in personal/family spend historically to increase this year based on additional child in daycare. Mortgage not paid via credit card, but basically everything else that I can.
Last edited by e5116 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delamer
Posts: 6138
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by delamer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:28 pm

Seems to be the concensus that everyone puts as much as possible on their cards.

That said, knowing expenses without knowing income doesn’t provide much useful information.

Silver Bullet
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:18 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Silver Bullet » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Family/Personal Use: $150 - $200k
"Small" Business (use to pay suppliers): $5 - $6 million per year.
We use Amex for both (and combine accounts). Nice collection of reward points used for travel and giving associates year end gift cards.

kenoryan
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by kenoryan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:00 pm

AGI of $850k.

We put about $120,000 on the credit card.

bluelight
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by bluelight » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Last year was 42K. It would normally be more, but we didn't take a vacation. Family of 2, no children at home. Everything except for property taxes and utilities goes on the rewards credit cards.

Erwin007
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:29 am
Location: Intermountain West

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Erwin007 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:25 pm

$73k last year. Everything possible goes on the card due to generous credit card rewards. Family of 5. Kids aged 11, 9, and 7.

JimDiGriz2u
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by JimDiGriz2u » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51 pm

$110K - and I always feel embarrassed that we spend that much each year. This does not include mortgage (and associated house costs), kids school tuition, tutoring and after school activities (sports, etc)

May be now I can learn from all the smart folks here how to spend money wisely and save for the future and then share it with my SO

Crazyhats5
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:57 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Crazyhats5 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:02 am

So I gather you guys are doing this for the rewards? Do you pay the balance in full each month?

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 13443
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 am

UpsetRaptor wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 pm
Just for reference, I'm curious what you married-with-kids bogleheads are spending on your combined total credit card expenses each year? The last couple years DW + I have been in the $40-$45K range. Seems high to me when I look at it, though we do have 3 kids and put everything we can on CCs, including all shopping, food, gas, auto/life/umbrella insurance, some bills, and a couple vacations per year. The only expenses that really don't go on there are mortgage and a couple other bills for which we can't use CC or the "convenience" fee equates to >2%.
About $500-600K.

We're counting taxes, right?

Seriously though, if it can go on a credit card, it does around here.

Rewards and convenience.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Doctor Rhythm
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Doctor Rhythm » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:27 am

Crazyhats5 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:02 am
So I gather you guys are doing this for the rewards? Do you pay the balance in full each month?
Rewards are just part of it, but yes - getting what is essentially a 2-5% discount on the purchase price of everything is an incentive to use credit cards. But even if there were no cash-back or airfare "points" bonus, I'd still use them over other options. Other advantages that I can see are:
-- Having a powerful "middle-man" between you and the merchant to almost act as an escrow agency in case of ugliness
-- Not having to keep going to the ATM or carry around a lot of greenbacks (and then walk around with a pocket full of coins afterwards)
-- Not having to write paper checks and then (ugh!) mail them
-- Make someone else keep track of my spending so I don't have to
-- Random benefits like car rental insurance, extended warranties, price match, roadside assistance, etc

Of course - full balance paid off monthly and financial discipline are essential.

User avatar
bogleblitz
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by bogleblitz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:38 am

$40k family of 3 in Los Angeles, CA.

HIinvestor
Posts: 1658
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by HIinvestor » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:41 am

When we had kids in college, we put their tuitions, expenses and student housing. When we had 2 kids in college, it was VERY high. Honestly, haven’t totaled it then or now. I’m guessing it’s now probably about $100K or so for 2 adults, very high COL area. We also write checks, which aren’t included in this total.

Yes, we always pay balance in full and no interest or late fees. We like the 2% cash back. We also like getting points that become airline miles, which have purchased many plane tickets.

MikeG62
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:12 am

Doctor Rhythm wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:27 am
Crazyhats5 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:02 am
So I gather you guys are doing this for the rewards? Do you pay the balance in full each month?
Rewards are just part of it, but yes - getting what is essentially a 2-5% discount on the purchase price of everything is an incentive to use credit cards. But even if there were no cash-back or airfare "points" bonus, I'd still use them over other options. Other advantages that I can see are:
-- Having a powerful "middle-man" between you and the merchant to almost act as an escrow agency in case of ugliness
-- Not having to keep going to the ATM or carry around a lot of greenbacks (and then walk around with a pocket full of coins afterwards)
-- Not having to write paper checks and then (ugh!) mail them
-- Make someone else keep track of my spending so I don't have to
-- Random benefits like car rental insurance, extended warranties, price match, roadside assistance, etc

Of course - full balance paid off monthly and financial discipline are essential.
Agree with this entire list to which I'd add an additional item:

Not having paper checks with your bank routing and account number and your signature potentially ending up in the hands of some bad actor.

I'd also add that like others we charge to our CC's every expense that can be charged. Only expenses that cannot be charged (or can't without a large processing fee which would exceed the value of any cash back or reward points) are real estate taxes, water bill, umbrella insurance premium, auto lease payment, property maintenance guy and pocket $ (almost exclusively used by my DW as I have now gone almost totally cashless). Everything else goes on CC's.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

Rus In Urbe
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Rus In Urbe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:25 am

We run about $80k a year....there are two of us nearing retirement. Pretty much everything goes onto the card except utilities because our local company is too backward to have the mechanism to do so. We get points from our card that we use to either pay off the card through cash-back, or get travel deals. The card is then paid off automatically every month by the bank.

My late uncle (a Wall Street investment professional of the old-school) told me to get an Amex in my twenties and use it as a 30-day float. So I always have. Last time we bought a car (yes we splurged on a new car, highly unusual for us), we had to haggle a bit to put the cost ($26k for a Subaru Forrester) onto our Amex; I had called Amex the day before to warn them it was coming. The car dealership had to be pressed a little to accept it, but they did and we got a couple of free coast-to-coast air tickets plus hotel out of that deal.

Credit cards are a great tool for consolidating and managing expenses, if you have it on auto-pay at your bank. If you run up those ridiculous debts at usurious rates, well then, that's an entirely different story.

Silver Bullet
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:18 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Silver Bullet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:47 am

Crazyhats5 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:02 am
So I gather you guys are doing this for the rewards? Do you pay the balance in full each month?
Yes.

SQRT
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by SQRT » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:53 am

Why ask about CC ‘s? Why not just ask what total spend is?

Perhaps asking what %’age of total spend goes on CC’s might be a more useful approach. For us it might be 40-50% of total after tax spend. We put everything we can on CC’s to earn rewards. Big items that don’t go on CC’s would include most property related expenses(including Reno’s,utilities,repairs,property taxes,telecom,etc) , cars, boats,clubs,alimony,

Actually, it’s difficult to come up with a lot of non CC items. Our actual cash expenses(currency out of ATM’s) wouldn’t be more than 2-3% of total spend.

Shallowpockets
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 am

Looking at the CC spend rates posted here makes me wonder how people manage to get multiple business class or upgrade trips with mileage awards. At a range here of 40k to 110k (throwing out the outlier of 500k) I don't see how this translates to such frequent and upscale airline travel.
You do not accrue miles on the FF travel. So 2-3 trips per year must exhaust your miles and then you are back at scratch. Every so often I may get a CC with bonus points, say 50k miles for spending 3K in three months. This is the main way to get FF miles for myself.
We spend about 42k a year and not all of it on CC. We manage to get FF miles for an international trip about once every two years. Most of that mileage accrual is actually from flights and not from miles for dollars spent, but for miles flown. When I see other threads where people post their FF/point travel on business class to Europe I wonder how they do it.
Right now on United I see that it is 30,000 miles one way economy, US to Europe. That is 60,000 RT. This is more than the average CC spend noted in this thread.

qwertyjazz
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:24 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by qwertyjazz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 am
UpsetRaptor wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 pm
Just for reference, I'm curious what you married-with-kids bogleheads are spending on your combined total credit card expenses each year? The last couple years DW + I have been in the $40-$45K range. Seems high to me when I look at it, though we do have 3 kids and put everything we can on CCs, including all shopping, food, gas, auto/life/umbrella insurance, some bills, and a couple vacations per year. The only expenses that really don't go on there are mortgage and a couple other bills for which we can't use CC or the "convenience" fee equates to >2%.
About $500-600K.

We're counting taxes, right?

Seriously though, if it can go on a credit card, it does around here.

Rewards and convenience.
For taxes, which credit card do you use and which IRS processing company do you use? The potentially smal yield differential has worried me about doing that in the past.
Thank you
QJ
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."

User avatar
Meg77
Posts: 2392
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Meg77 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:20 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm
Meg77 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 pm
About $110k (no kids though). Like you, pretty much all expenses go on credit cards except our mortgage and property taxes. I think it's pretty common for annual credit card spend to be fairly synonymous with annual spending - and therefore bound to be high in many cases.
You spend $110k a year?!! Wow!
We spend $164K per year in total if you count the mortgage, prop taxes, car note and a few other items that can't go on cc's. But we save $215K a year so I don't feel too bad about it. :wink:
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

JuniorBH
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by JuniorBH » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:47 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 am
Looking at the CC spend rates posted here makes me wonder how people manage to get multiple business class or upgrade trips with mileage awards.
I can't speak for others, but a large part of my miles/status comes from business spend and frequent flying. ~25 round trip flights a year, all of which are refundable tickets (i.e. higher price) gets me hundreds of thousands of a miles a year and the status needed to get upgraded.

Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Mjar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:54 am

30k/year for a family of 4 in Chicago far west suburb, always paid off in full each month. Looking to reduce this and use more cash instead.

AGI of 180k
Last edited by Mjar on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feh
Posts: 1249
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:39 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by feh » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:58 am

$20-25K per year, family of 3.

I'm shocked at how much money people posting in this thread spend per year.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1658
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:55 pm

On track to spend 100k this year, family of 4. Everything except our mortgage goes through a card (mostly the Alliant 2.5%) Expecting about $3k cash in credit card rewards this year between all my cards.

Mjar
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Mjar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:01 pm

Erwin007 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:25 pm
$73k last year. Everything possible goes on the card due to generous credit card rewards. Family of 5. Kids aged 11, 9, and 7.
what is generous and which card?

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:18 pm

I don't know the total offhand, but almost everything goes on a CC.

No mortgage. Property taxes, car tags, and income taxes are paid via online checking account. Some home repair/maintenance is paid with cash or personal check. Occasionally $1-2 tips are paid with cash.

I can't think of anything else that doesn't go on a CC except for CC payments :beer

jerkstore
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by jerkstore » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:29 pm

$26k in the last 12 months. Family of 5. Everything that can go on, does.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Doctor Rhythm wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:27 am
Crazyhats5 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:02 am
So I gather you guys are doing this for the rewards? Do you pay the balance in full each month?
Rewards are just part of it, but yes - getting what is essentially a 2-5% discount on the purchase price of everything is an incentive to use credit cards. But even if there were no cash-back or airfare "points" bonus, I'd still use them over other options. Other advantages that I can see are:
-- Having a powerful "middle-man" between you and the merchant to almost act as an escrow agency in case of ugliness
-- Not having to keep going to the ATM or carry around a lot of greenbacks (and then walk around with a pocket full of coins afterwards)
-- Not having to write paper checks and then (ugh!) mail them
-- Make someone else keep track of my spending so I don't have to
-- Random benefits like car rental insurance, extended warranties, price match, roadside assistance, etc

Of course - full balance paid off monthly and financial discipline are essential.
I agree with all the above reasons that are in addition to the rewards you get.

We are in the $50k to $80k range, with vacations usually moving us to the higher amount. We pay in full every month.

I like having the past 12 to 18 months of transactions available for download. It's easy to take this info, and quickly sort and categorize to come up with how we spend our money, and forecast costs into the future.

I get 2% cash back from Fidelity, 2-5% from Discover and varied multiple of miles from our American Airlines card. In addition, we get points toward gold status on the airline card.

Probably the only negative with credit cards is the occasional fraudulent charges which we have gotten reversed 100%.

We may spend more due to the ready convenience of charging. I'd like to think not, but if I had to write a check or pull out cash for every transaction, it might affect the total spending.

MikeG62
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:05 pm

SQRT wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:53 am
Why ask about CC ‘s? Why not just ask what total spend is?

Perhaps asking what %’age of total spend goes on CC’s might be a more useful approach. For us it might be 40-50% of total after tax spend. We put everything we can on CC’s to earn rewards. Big items that don’t go on CC’s would include most property related expenses(including Reno’s,utilities,repairs,property taxes,telecom,etc) , cars, boats,clubs,alimony,

Actually, it’s difficult to come up with a lot of non CC items. Our actual cash expenses(currency out of ATM’s) wouldn’t be more than 2-3% of total spend.
I agree this is a more meaningful slice of information.

For DW and I, we are spending a bit north of $200,000 per year, a bit over 80% of which passes through credit cards (all of which are paid in full on their due dates) .
Last edited by MikeG62 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

jjface
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by jjface » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:08 pm

About 15k-20k. Can't believe some of the figures on here. Not sure how much % goes on there but a lot of it. Not mortgage or taxes but a good proportion of everything else. Family of 3.
Last edited by jjface on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seity
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by seity » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:25 pm

About 25-30k/year. Family of 4, everything except the mortgage and some utilities that would charge a fee if I paid that way.

Texanbybirth
Posts: 954
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Probably $35k-$40k, family of 4. (Hopefully soon 5!)

Every cent that we can goes on the CC, paid in full each month of course.

delamer
Posts: 6138
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by delamer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:45 pm

jjface wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:08 pm
About 15k-20k. Can't believe some of the figures on here. Not sure how much % goes on there but a lot of it. Not mortgage or taxes but a good proportion of everything else. Family of 3.

Why can’t you believe them?

financeguy88
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by financeguy88 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Wife and I spend is high but there tends to be highly discretionary “one-time” things. last year getting married I put a lot of the wedding / honeymoon on my card.

This year it was some expensive tickets for a special sporting event and a decision to give a sizeable charitable donation.

Taking out these volatile and one time or discretionary things our spend is probably in the 90k to 100k range. There is a lot of dining out, travel and spontaneous amazon prime purchases in those numbers and we live in a high cost area.

I would say about 95% of our non-rent / tax spend goes on the card. The only thing that doesn’t is the rare time where someone requires a check.

SQRT
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by SQRT » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Meg77 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:20 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm
Meg77 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 pm
About $110k (no kids though). Like you, pretty much all expenses go on credit cards except our mortgage and property taxes. I think it's pretty common for annual credit card spend to be fairly synonymous with annual spending - and therefore bound to be high in many cases.
You spend $110k a year?!! Wow!
We spend $164K per year in total if you count the mortgage, prop taxes, car note and a few other items that can't go on cc's. But we save $215K a year so I don't feel too bad about it. :wink:
Really surprised you would disclose these numbers here. I wouldnt feel comfortable doing so.

Stormbringer
Posts: 583
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:07 am

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:58 pm

UpsetRaptor wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 pm
Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?
Sadly, about $70-80K.
"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe." - Albert Einstein

User avatar
Meg77
Posts: 2392
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Families - What's your total annual credit card spend?

Post by Meg77 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:18 pm

SQRT wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:57 pm
Meg77 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:20 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm
Meg77 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 pm
About $110k (no kids though). Like you, pretty much all expenses go on credit cards except our mortgage and property taxes. I think it's pretty common for annual credit card spend to be fairly synonymous with annual spending - and therefore bound to be high in many cases.
You spend $110k a year?!! Wow!
We spend $164K per year in total if you count the mortgage, prop taxes, car note and a few other items that can't go on cc's. But we save $215K a year so I don't feel too bad about it. :wink:
Really surprised you would disclose these numbers here. I wouldnt feel comfortable doing so.
Well this forum is anonymous, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't feel comfortable. People share much more detailed income and expense info than this every day when asking for help (which I've done before as well).

But even if people know who I am in real life, I don't really consider these figures taboo. People can guess at what my husband and I make, or check salary websites that will give them a clue. My home value and property tax rate are public record. My friends and family wouldn't be surprised to know we spend 6 figures a year based on the amount we travel, the places we shop, and other commonly observed behaviors. Now people would be surprised to know how much we save I'm sure; I'm not as comfortable disclosing that amount as all the others (which is odd if you think about it), but I'm also a bit proud of it and think it's good context to have and possibly even motivational.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

Post Reply