Quickbooks Bill Pay Limits

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
yosh99

Quickbooks Bill Pay Limits

Post by yosh99 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:26 pm

I've been using QB Bill Pay for 15 years to manage my small business. Being able to enter a check into QB and have them mail it to the vendor on my behalf has been a huge time saver. Today a batch of payments was rejected with the message, "amount exceeds $2,999 and is rejected". I called and sure enough, QB imposed this limit and did it without warning. Now, I'm forced to dig out the dusty checkbook and start addressing envelopes.

What are others doing? Are there alternative systems to simplify the bill paying process, especially anything that integrates with Quickbooks Pro?

TheAccountant

Re: Quickbooks Bill Pay Limits

Post by TheAccountant » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Are you sure it's not a limit imposed by your bank? Can you go to preferences and see if there's a setting that can be changed?

I'm an Accountant for a company that probably does 30 million a year in sales. They have probably 20 million in payables. I use Bill.com exclusively, and think it's 100% worth the cost.

For smaller businesses with under 1M in payables, the QB bill pay feature has worked well for us.

yosh99

Post by yosh99 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 pm

It's not my bank. I called QB and they said it has to do with the bank they use. She said she has been inundated with calls from QB users like me all day. Your clients will likely be affected, too.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:06 am

I use QB, but I pay the bills thru my own bank account and then enter them in QB. It is an additional step and a little more time consuming (and another place for a typo to creep in), but I have never trusted Intuit.

Ralph

margered

Post by margered » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:48 am

Is this a per day, per batch, or a per check limit? Could you send multiple payments on successive days as a work-around, even as a short term fix?

baliktad

Post by baliktad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:03 am

It seems this policy change was announced on Jul 5 and enforced beginning Jul 6. Although it doesn't offer any further explanation or workarounds, you might find solace with others affected here:

https://qbcommunity.com/t5/Questions-ab ... d-p/168557

Our bank offers business bill pay with our checking account and allows payments of up to $50,000. It's not integrated with our accounting solution, but it does mean that payee names appear directly on our bank statement (instead of just check numbers), so it makes reconciliation a bit easier.

yosh99

Post by yosh99 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:11 am

margered wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:48 am
Is this a per day, per batch, or a per check limit? Could you send multiple payments on successive days as a work-around, even as a short term fix?
It appears to be a per-check limit. Sending multiple payments wouldn't be practical for me.

Bill.com integrates with QB Pro for Windows, but only when the network is running other Microsoft tools which we don't use. It also integrates with QB Online which I actually tried for a couple of months, but the online version of QB is too hobbled and limited compared to the PC version to work for me.

It seems the main problem is that QB dominates accounting for small business with few alternatives while at the same time offering very little support and value. You'd think there would be more competition.