Competent tax advisor / consultant for Belgium

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
riskless

Competent tax advisor / consultant for Belgium

Post by riskless » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:38 am

Hi,

I was just told by a Belgian tax advisor that he "thinks" the 30% capital gains tax on bond funds does not apply to bond funds held for more than 8 years.

Is this correct?

1. I am looking for
- a competent tax advisor (or perhaps more than one) who would be able to advise on such issues with authority
- a written source for such information (I think I can manage the Dutch or French with some help from Google Translate)

2. I am also looking for a lawyer / notary / advisor who can help me with the setting up of a Will in Belgium and something like a Trust to look after my family in case something happens to me. The idea of the Trust is that my wife is unable to manage money (other than spending it), and the Trustee would make sure that withdrawals are reasonable and sustainable with a high degree of confidence in view of foreseen and unforeseen future expenses.

I live in the Zaventem area.

Feel free to PM me if you don't wish to respond publicly. Thank you!

riskless

Re: Competent tax advisor / consultant for Belgium

Post by riskless » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:26 am

Hellooooo ?

I find that most tax advisors in Belgium are not sure of the details of taxation on capital gains (e.g. the fact that individual bonds have no capital gains tax, but bond funds do)

I'd be grateful for help here from the Belgian / European community....

Thanks!

BeBH65

Post by BeBH65 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Hello riskless,

I believe that Bondfunds within an insurance wrapper do not have capital gains tax if the investment is held longer then 8 years.
But the cost of the wrapper will ofset your gains.

related to place to find info: you might try wikifin.be and https://finance.belgium.be/en

trusts are not that common in Belgium

most bigger banks have experts as part of their "advice" that they offer to the clients. Remember they are also salesman. Maybe you can get a referal to an independ notary/lawyer/...

KPMG/Deloite etc have practices fro expat taxing. Their websites often have summary documents.

Sorry that I cannot answer your core question.
BeBH65. (only an investment enthusiast, not a financial adviser, perform your due diligence).

riskless

Post by riskless » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:10 am

Thank you BeBH65.....

On the FOD FInancien website (the link you posted), I looked up "meerwarde" in the NL version and "plus-value" in the FR version in search of the methodology for taxing capital gains (hoping to find something definitive from an official source). But I came up with nothing. Am I using the right keywords?

wikifin.be is better, and this is the only place I found a mention of the fact that there is no capital gains tax on bonds (except zero-coupon bonds). (although I guess it is not an official source) (https://www.wikifin.be/nl/themas/sparen ... elastingen)

So thank you very much for this....... greatly appreciated.

BeBH65

Post by BeBH65 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:37 am

You could also try https://www.fsma.be (site of the financial "regulator")
I could not find anything on the meerwaarde (double e double a) though
Insurances is tak 21 or tak 23 - after 8 year and 1 day tax free - but no formal mention that you do not need to payc capilal gains tax.
BeBH65. (only an investment enthusiast, not a financial adviser, perform your due diligence).

riskless

Post by riskless » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:25 am

Thank you !
(and also for the correction of my spelling mistake) :happy