Would you take a job in a less desirable city if you had to work fewer days?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jastevenson

Would you take a job in a less desirable city if you had to work fewer days?

Post by jastevenson »

Would be interested in knowing if anyone has made a decision like this and how it turned out.

I currently live in a big city (1.5 mil metro) with a lot of great activities and good weather, but need to work 5 days per week.

I have the opportunity to take a job in a small city (400k metro) I don't really like (cold weather, not much to do), but will only need to work 3 days per week. Nearest city of comparable quality and activities to current city is 5 hour drive away.

No change in salary.

I really like the idea of working less (3 day workweeks instead of 5), but I worry that I will be bored with all that free time since the city is lacking in the good weather, diverse restaurants, shows, and activities that my current city has. I am in my 30s, married with children.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Church Lady

Re: Would you take a job in a less desirable city if you had to work fewer days?

Post by Church Lady »

Same salary, same taxes, get back 3/5 of your week ... I'd be sorely tempted! How secure is the job and are there opportunities for advancement?

I lived in a city with a lot of restaurants, cultural activities, night school, and so forth, but did not really avail myself because I had a full time job. This was especially so the last eight to ten years of my career as the job became more and demanding. I made your decision, in a manner of speaking, by retiring to a more rural area. I went from a city population +250,000 to one of 16,000. There are fewer opportunities, but as a retiree, I have time to actually use the opportunities I have. The homeowner thing keeps me very busy. If I were in an apartment or condo, I'd probably miss the big city :)

Ask yourself how often you actually take advantage of the opportunities in your city. Realistically, will you have more or less chance to enjoy the big city culture as the years go by?

You also have to think of your spouse/kids.

Are there enough programs in the new area to keep your kids out of trouble? On the other hand, you'll gain a lot of face time with your kids which will probably be very beneficial for them.

Is your spouse on board with the new locale and your new schedule?
I worry that I will be bored with all that free time
That's what the internet is for 8-)

Good luck!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
MJW

Re: Would you take a job in a less desirable city if you had to work fewer days?

Post by MJW »

"Less desirable" is subjective, but we if we are to use our own definitions I would say the trade-off would not be worth it to me.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

One concern I would have is that the three day a week schedule would go away.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Is it less hours or are you changing from 5/40 to 3/13 schedule?
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

I have developed roots where I am living and so may not do it. However if I was not tied to my current place, I might have done it.
Topic Author
jastevenson

Post by jastevenson »

harrychan wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:59 pm Is it less hours or are you changing from 5/40 to 3/13 schedule?
It’s basically 3 x 10 hour days (7-5) instead of 5 x 8 hour days (830-430).
beth65

Post by beth65 »

I moved to a much less desirable area for more money (still 5 days but very reasonable work schedule) and we barely lasted a year. We moved back to a suburb of a bigger city. Everyone is different, so YMMV, but quality of life and overall happiness is worth far more than more money with nothing to do in an area you really don’t like.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

jastevenson wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:47 pm
harrychan wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:59 pm Is it less hours or are you changing from 5/40 to 3/13 schedule?
It’s basically 3 x 10 hour days (7-5) instead of 5 x 8 hour days (830-430).
What's wrong with your current job that you decided to look elsewhere?

Work schedules can change. Also, 10 hour days are grueling, which is probably why this company is looking for someone. My guess is to replace an employee who didn't like working 10 hour days.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I would absolutely make the change. Even with a wife and daughter.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

jastevenson wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:53 pm Would be interested in knowing if anyone has made a decision like this and how it turned out.

I currently live in a big city (1.5 mil metro) with a lot of great activities and good weather, but need to work 5 days per week.

I have the opportunity to take a job in a small city (400k metro) I don't really like (cold weather, not much to do), but will only need to work 3 days per week. Nearest city of comparable quality and activities to current city is 5 hour drive away.

No change in salary.

I really like the idea of working less (3 day workweeks instead of 5), but I worry that I will be bored with all that free time since the city is lacking in the good weather, diverse restaurants, shows, and activities that my current city has. I am in my 30s, married with children.

No. I would not make that change. If there is less for you to do, then there may be less for your kids to do. Nope, I’d pass.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

beth65 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:49 pm I moved to a much less desirable area for more money (still 5 days but very reasonable work schedule) and we barely lasted a year. We moved back to a suburb of a bigger city. Everyone is different, so YMMV, but quality of life and overall happiness is worth far more than more money with nothing to do in an area you really don’t like.
+1. I’m thinking the same, but also what opportunities the children would miss out by moving to a smaller area. The topping is there is no bump in pay.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
AlwaysWannaLearn

Post by AlwaysWannaLearn »

Last edited by AlwaysWannaLearn on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:18 pm
beth65 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:49 pm I moved to a much less desirable area for more money (still 5 days but very reasonable work schedule) and we barely lasted a year. We moved back to a suburb of a bigger city. Everyone is different, so YMMV, but quality of life and overall happiness is worth far more than more money with nothing to do in an area you really don’t like.
+1. I’m thinking the same, but also what opportunities the children would miss out by moving to a smaller area. The topping is there is no bump in pay.

Hmmm. I bet they have Little League. And piano lessons. And a library.
Retired 12/31/2015
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

jastevenson wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:53 pm Would be interested in knowing if anyone has made a decision like this and how it turned out.

No change in salary.

I think you are being a little dramatic. It’s a city of 400k and you are worried there will be nothing to do? As in 400k people have not bothered to open restaurants, have festivals, farmers market, a children’s museum, and/or trails to name a few. Maybe the climate is not to your liking but there will be plenty of activities for you and your kids to enjoy.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

veindoc wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:49 pm

No change in salary.

I think you are being a little dramatic. It’s a city of 400k and you are worried there will be nothing to do? As in 400k people have not bothered to open restaurants, have festivals, farmers market, a children’s museum, and/or trails to name a few. Maybe the climate is not to your liking but there will be plenty of activities for you and your kids to enjoy.
First thing I thought as well. If that is a small boring city, what does the huge overwhelming majority of the world's population (who live in even smaller cities) do for fun? If you are limited by options for leisure activities in a city of that size, I think that says more about you than the city. Climate, culture, etc.; now those are real considerations.
Natsdoc

Post by Natsdoc »

No change in salary but is there a difference in cost of living?
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Although I really like our neighborhood, I'd love to go from DFW to 400k or less people. AND you're working less!

Are taxes or homes cheaper? What about the commute?

I'd likely make the move.

Post by 123 »

Have you explored opportunities in your present city with only 3 or 4 workdays a week? Some employment areas, like hospitals/healthcare, tend to have a wide variety of duty schedules available. You might end up being a contractor of some type depending on your occupation.

Another issue with the smaller city is that future/alternative opportunities will likely be more limited than your current city. You could get stuck there.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

My advice is to ask your current employee if they could offer more flexibility. We are circling jobs also, and I struggle with moving to an area that is colder and a little....boring. There’s a great opportunity in Omaha, but would the extra 20-30k really be worth living away from family and friends?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

veindoc wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:49 pmI think you are being a little dramatic. It’s a city of 400k and you are worried there will be nothing to do? As in 400k people have not bothered to open restaurants, have festivals, farmers market, a children’s museum, and/or trails to name a few. Maybe the climate is not to your liking but there will be plenty of activities for you and your kids to enjoy.
This.

What city is it?
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

No change in salary.

Really disagree with this on a number of levels.

First and most importantly, OP stated that he prefers climate in his current location which is a huge determinant of activities that he and his young family enjoy...

Speaking very broadly (and yes I know there are exceptions) the quality and choice of all of the things you mention - museums, restaurants, markets - will be greater in the 1.5mm metro vs the 400k metro.

There's no change in salary; the only thing OP would gain is some more free time - in a place where he doesn't want to spend the extra time.

I've lived something similar. Again speaking generally, I moved from the heart of a major global metropolis to a suburb a decent commute away from a large US city. In many ways, it's analogous to the move the OP is considering.
While I've since been promoted and can justify the decision from a compensation and career path perspective, I miss the lifestyle of our prior location every day. Even near our new large city, the museums, restaurants and markets cant compare to where we used to live. Climate worse too; while we've gained a bit of sun, the new snowy months limit the time we can enjoy pursuing our favorite activities outdoors.

New place is even harder for my family than for me.

Unless there is a cultural fit that I'm missing...Don't mess with happy - stay where you are.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

mhadden1 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:38 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Hmmm. I bet they have Little League. And piano lessons. And a library.
What do they offer after your too old for Little League? What about cultural activities? What about future educational and employment activities?
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

The more I ponder your question, the more I think you are playing with fire. I’ve always heard to never switch companies for anything less than a 20% bump in pay. This will help soothe the impact of any consequence you didn’t consider (boss sucks, location is terrible, etc). If you don’t like the move, the extra days off will only give you extra time to think of how bad of a choice you made. That being said, if you feel led to go....do it.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

I would have done it in a second. I usually ended up working more than 8 hours a day anyway, with the result that I had only a couple of hours of discretionary time a day M-F, and at least one weekend day would be devoted to chores and errands. I would have viewed this as a chance to nearly triple my discretionary time.

I've moved from Harvard Square in Cambridge to a "City" of less than 20,000 people. I've got plenty to do, and some real improvements in areas that are important to me.

OP did ask "would you?".
maroon

Post by maroon »

I would absolutely do it. Then again, I live ~25 miles away from the nearest grocery store (about a 40 minute drive).
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Rick Rock wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:58 pm

No change in salary.

Really disagree with this on a number of levels.

First and most importantly, OP stated that he prefers climate in his current location which is a huge determinant of activities that he and his young family enjoy...

Speaking very broadly (and yes I know there are exceptions) the quality and choice of all of the things you mention - museums, restaurants, markets - will be greater in the 1.5mm metro vs the 400k metro.
I lived almost all of my life in three of the largest metro areas in the country (Los Angeles, Houston, and Phoenix); agree to disagree I guess. I currently live in a city of <40k, which is 5 miles from the "big" city, still <100k people, and outside of a huge amusement park I can't think of a single thing that I don't have available to me within bike-riding distance and because I enjoy outdoors activities I actually have more options than those large metro areas. I could go to a different restaurant or museum every night of the week for months; seriously, how many hundreds of restaurants or dozens of museums do you need to choose from on a daily basis to not be bored? It just seems odd to call a city with 400k people "small".
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Pro’s - more time

Cons- weather, moving and uprooting, social change, new and unknown work environment

No data- change in cost of living, savings, or family’s input

I’ve been doing a long long long distance commute now for over 5 years. Large west coast coty with Very high cost of living, “desirable” location with resultant competive is employment situation slightly depressing wages to match the ultra high cost of living. Work in a “midsize” midwestern city with slightly over 1 million population region (city and burbs) with snowy weather 4 months and possibly 5 (albeit very tolerable given city commitment to maintaining roads).

Could not move wife and preschool aged child initially due to elderly parents(in-laws “needing” our presence in case and our desire to provide child with opportunity to spend as much time as possible with grandparents before mortality isssues kicked in. Pay rose 33% with associated promotion for new company (not necessarily a start up company but a refresh for the division with totally new team vision). No chance of ever getting promoted otherwise. Worked out arrangement for concentrating work hours to permit 4 day work weeks with monthly Friday and Monday commute working days that allowed for 4 day weekends and otherwise 3 day weekends otherwise. Commuting costs and travel (plane flights weekly) incurred by myself. Having premium status on major airline allowed for most advantageous ticket purchase costs and travel flexibility and perks.

Within the last 12 months the in laws passed after very short periods of illness’ but were otherwise healthy and mobile to the end. Child was able to fully engage with the grandparents for 5 additional years whil we did this. Child transitioned from pre-k and now in 2nd grade.

We love the city in which we live as we have tremendous community and social ties. The job market in our home city is demanding for the employee and thus the work conditions are not desirable (prior to my job move typically 6 days week if not 7 and common for 12 straight with expectation of being available if clients requested). Had very little autonomy and only alternative I. The home city would have been a longer car commute daily.

Current job I have leadership position and self determination. In fact promoted in company to where I frequently see old supervisor at confernences who is now considered 2 grades below my position in my current company. The current job is better than anything I could have ever dreamed or thought I had the ability or even qualifications to achieve, solely due to the environment of merit and open opportunity as well as willingness to invest in those deemed or viewed as hav8ng greater potential. Admittedly, I over achieved early on simply by having nothing to do other than work extra few hours when in my work city (which I was already doing and then some). As result promoted and promoted and promoted due to productivity and achievement. The move allowed me to have greater self determination and ability to concentrate my work hours efficiently. Downside was losing 3 days a week with my child (but Skype and FaceTime permitted some semblance of presence for dinner every evening).

We have now done this for 6 years and feel it is normal. I take a significant amount of time away annually (15 weeks) and in fact my family now consider my work city our vacation home in which we own a home. We intend to keep this situation for 4 more years then will likely promote one of my “juniors” to take lead of division and I will semi retire and remain on as long term consultant reverse commuting the opposite way occasionally while keeping my packagage of benefits and profit sharing. Done before my child hits junior high but at a known cost of Wednesday night school events for the past 2 years.

In answer to the OP, you need to have more data entry points and then do the math: time, cost, potential. Would I do my situation again, for sure now that I know the results. However, very scary that first year.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

I would not do it. Being in an area that you love climate-wise and making a move to an area that is cold, my guess is you are not going to like it, especially if that area is more northern/midwest where it can be cold for 5 or 5-1/2 months of the year. It would help us to know the city you are thinking about moving to.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

I hate to break this to you, but your current 5 day schedule of 0830 - 1630 is easy. I would have loved to be out of the office by 1630 each day. For most of my years in the corporate world, the standard schedule was 0800 - 1700. For me a typical day was more like 0730 - 1730. My more motivated colleagues were more like 0700 - 1800.

Live in the area where you are most comfortable - with family, friends, climate, good schools, leisure time activities, etc...Living in a rotten town for a better work schedule would not be worth it to me, considering that your existing schedule is not that bad.
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

OP,

What does your wife think? I had a friend once say he could handle a bad job, with a happy home life. He could tolerate a great job and bad home life, but would be close to jumping off a cliff if both were bad.
Aspects of life can somewhat be put on scales, if only one thing is weighing it down (and a job is big), I would work on changing just that one thing.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I would probably not do it personally, because my hobbies are warm weather outdoor ones. Having an extra day off to sit around the house doing nothing while the weather outside is cold and dreary holds no value to me.
scottgekko

Post by scottgekko »

No change in salary.

This. A city of 400k is still a good sized city. I would find it hard to believe there is truly nothing to do. Realistically, do you really try new things in your current city every week? Most people are creatures of habit and stick with what they enjoy and live their day to day lives within several miles of their homes. Would the activities you enjoy not exist in the new city? I understand climate is a major factor...would you mind sharing what city you're talking about? I would think this conversation would be more divisive if we were talking a town of <20,000 or less.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

No change in salary.

I personally couldn't make the change. I consider working as something that enables the other parts of my life. If many of those aren't possible, then what's the point?
fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 »

Tough call but I think I'd stay in the desirable city. As others have stated, what would you do with your extra free time in the undesirable city? Lot of factors can come into play though.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Great question.

I moved to the west coast for a while. I'm of the opinion that all jobs become ordinary over time so for me the environment's the thing -

I enjoyed exploring my new environment, and even though it didn't last and I moved back I don't regret the change of location. Something to remember.

But if the new location doesn't have anything to offer, then it's a high price to pay.
steadyhand

Post by steadyhand »

If it helps, I can share the perspective of the inverse conundrum. A close friend moved from a metro with a population around 500k to another closer to 2 million. He always wanted to go to a much larger city, attracted to to the more amenities it can provide like a bigger and more connected airport, more ethnic restaurant and grocery options, more touristy attractions that one can showcase on facebook, warmer weather (too warm maybe), and big city culture and mindset. After the move, just a few months back, he likes the new place for the positives but finds the traffic crazy, cannot comprehend that there can be lines at gas pumps, commutes for the same distance is taking twice as long. He feels life is a lot more complex now. I think a lot has to do with learning a new way and making friends in any new place. I would say if you crave simplicity, make the move. Else a bigger city is likely to give you more.
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

This may be cynical, but at the end of the day life is waking up, going to work, playing with family. I’m not sure any environment won’t become the same as the other after a while. That’s my long winded way to say living in a maneagble city goes a long ways.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

How much time have you spent in the less desirable city? Some are just smaller, not truly less desirable, although climate and weather in particular can influence mental health and you did mention that specifically.
220volt

Post by 220volt »

I would accept the offer.
Work 3 days a week.
FInd another job to fill the rest of your week. There's nothing to do anyway, right?
Make a lot more money that way.
Retire early.
Any questions?
"If I had only followed the advice of financial analysts in 2008, I'd have a million dollars today, provided I started with a hundred million dollars" - Jon Stewart
banook

Post by banook »

No change in salary.

For certain people, geography matters too. I took a job for a year - moving to a midwestern city of 400k from a western city of 1.5 million for a great salary bump and a good job opportunity. I enjoyed the work, and the city had its perks, but also lots of crime. The summer was unbearably humid, which I really couldn't deal with - it was like winter (so much time indoors). To escape, we'd often venture out to the woods, but it just wasn't the same as having access to true mountains or ocean in the summer when it got hot - and I learned so much about ticks that summer. We simply felt trapped - sounds like you might be too with another city being 5 hours drive away. After a year of trying we moved back - fortunately, I was able to get a transfer back to the western side of the continent. If possible, I would recommend a week-long or weekend trip (if you can afford the time) and just see how your life goes. A 3 day work week sounds amazing if the pay is good, but if you're big on quality of life even an amazing job can wear you down.