Cheapest quality online tax preparation software?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
vu8

Cheapest quality online tax preparation software?

Post by vu8 »

Hi there, I used turbo tax last year and it costed me around 58 dollars. Is there any cheaper options or potential discounts that lowers the cost of tax preparation? I have both w2 and 1099b.
-buzz-

Re: Cheapest quality online tax preparation software?

Post by -buzz- »

I have used H&R Block software for several years. Costs about $35 including state return.
Edie

Post by Edie »

I've been using taxhawk(.com) since 2008. I used to compare every year (until maybe 2013?) to both turbotax and H&R Block, and they were straight in line with those software packages.

Federal is free (can buy audit assist for a small fee ($7 IIRC)), and state is around 15 dollars.

Edit - I just checked, and the taxhawk platform allows you to fill out prior year federal returns for free (prior state returns are $15, just like the above), so you could check a couple years of past data to see how it lines up with turbo tax for peace of mind.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

H&R Block, formerly TaxCut, is a bit less expensive. I've been using it for many years.
BL

Post by BL »

I have been using H&R Block for a few years. It is sometimes on sale at Amazon or their own site. I learned of the sales here. I believe they are cheaper than TT. There is another cheaper one often mentioned here: Tax-Act. Some like it, I couldn't get used to it.

There are on-line versions as well as DVDs and download versions stored on your computer. Also free ones if low income.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxes/b ... -software/
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Turbo Tax Deluxe (CD/Download) which in my opinion is heads and shoulders above the rest should be about $30 - $35. You don't need Premier, Home and Office, etc. Of course others will have different opinions.
mhc

Post by mhc »

credit karma is free
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

FreeTaxUSA
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
bberris

Post by bberris »

H and R Block is free, quality software offering importing features, suitable for investors and ACA reconciliation. Go through United Way:

https://www.myfreetaxes.com/