Where to get credit check for landlord?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
minivan09ia

Where to get credit check for landlord?

Post by minivan09ia » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:12 pm

We are trying to rent a studio for our daughter that's in college. The landlord asked us to run a "credit check" ourselves and then send her the report. Which website can provide that service? Any recommendation is appreciated.

I know we can get the three free credit reports every year. Is the free credit report the same as a "credit check"?

The last time we rented was more than twenty years ago and back then the landlord just handled all the paperworks.

spectec

Re: Where to get credit check for landlord?

Post by spectec » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Why not just get a free credit check report and give to the landlord? If that doesn't satisfy them, they can tell you what they prefer.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:18 pm

No, a credit report from the free services isn't the same as a credit check. I wouldn't want to give that much information out if it isn't necessary. I've never heard of someone asking you do to it yourself, without any guidance about how to do it.(Like a specific service to use, etc) I think most of the credit reporting agencies offer a service to run a credit check on potential tenants, so I'd probably pick one of those and run it on yourself if needed. All he should need to know is that there isn't any derogatory information.(Late payments, defaults, etc) Still seems strange though.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:19 pm

interesting, never heard of that--but I like you haven't rented for myself in 25+ years.

I have rented apartments/houses for my college students each of the last 7 years and never was asked to provide my own credit report.

I would think that is the Landlords responsibility and cost to incur, not yours. You co-sign on the lease and provide SS# and current address.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:25 pm

FreemanB wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:18 pm
No, a credit report from the free services isn't the same as a credit check. I wouldn't want to give that much information out if it isn't necessary. I've never heard of someone asking you do to it yourself, without any guidance about how to do it.(Like a specific service to use, etc) I think most of the credit reporting agencies offer a service to run a credit check on potential tenants, so I'd probably pick one of those and run it on yourself if needed. All he should need to know is that there isn't any derogatory information.(Late payments, defaults, etc) Still seems strange though.
Never heard of that either. I see no harm in just running your own free ones and showing the landlord.

save-early-often

Post by save-early-often » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:27 pm

Check out this thread

viewtopic.php?t=226980

Specifically point #5 in the original OP

"5. Screening Tenants- I consider screening tenants to be an absolute must. I pay exactly $0 for this also. I have used MySmartMove to screen tenants and tenants pay for the screening as an application fee. https://www.mysmartmove.com/SmartMove/l ... check.page The great thing about this service is that the tenant directly enters their information and pays the service directly so I don't have to worry about handling their money and bad checks. I consider evictions, bankruptcies , or bills gone to collections as automatic rejections."

Hope that helps....

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:41 pm

You are dealing with an amateur landlord. Will you be asked to do your own repairs as well? There are services the landlord can set up like TransUnion Smartmove. The prospective tenant pays the credit/background check fee and gets back info about whether they meet the landlord's criteria, and if not, they do not have to share the info with the landlord if they prefer to withdraw the application.

As a prospective tenant, you are entitled to a written description of the objective criteria against which you will be evaluated before making the decision to commit $40-50 to the background/credit check.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:45 pm

jalbert wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:41 pm
You are dealing with an amateur landlord. Will you be asked to do your own repairs as well? There are services the landlord can set up like TransUnion Smartmove. The prospective tenant pays the credit/background check fee and gets back info about whether they meet the landlord's criteria, and if not, they do not have to share the info with the landlord if they prefer to withdraw the application.
As a prospective tenant, you are entitled to a written description of the objective criteria against which you will be evaluated before making the decision to commit $40-50 to the background/credit check.
yes - so it seems to me..

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:58 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:45 pm
jalbert wrote:
Absolutely agree. I'm a landlord myself, and I would never accept a tenant printed credit report. For my last tenant application, we used SmartMove from Transunion. The biggest benefit, for both me and the prospective tenant, is that all personal information is kept private (i.e. I don't need to collect and protect their SSN info).

https://www.mysmartmove.com/SmartMove/t ... vices.page

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:01 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:25 pm
Never heard of that either. I see no harm in just running your own free ones and showing the landlord.
The harm I see is that their is a lot of sensitive information on even the free reports that isn't pertinent to the landlord who only wants to know that you don't have any defaulted accounts out there. I would be concerned not only on potential theft but how securely they store that information or dispose of it.

I certainly think this sounds like a freshly minted landlord that doesn't understand things.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:17 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:01 pm
dm200 wrote:
The harm I see is that their is a lot of sensitive information on even the free reports that isn't pertinent to the landlord who only wants to know that you don't have any defaulted accounts out there. I would be concerned not only on potential theft but how securely they store that information or dispose of it.
I certainly think this sounds like a freshly minted landlord that doesn't understand things.
How is that any different than what the landlord would get by pulling the credit report directly?

BogleBike

Post by BogleBike » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Since they didn't specify, maybe you could just print your FICO score.

My credit cards often have "free FICO Score" now. The display shows my nice responsible score, plus a chart showing that the score is in the upper group. If you have something similar, print the score and chart, attach it to a note saying "my credit is above average" or some such, and presumably they have no grounds to screen you out. No details of your actual accounts would need to be conveyed.

DaBombCat

Post by DaBombCat » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:06 pm

BogleBike wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:12 pm
Since they didn't specify, maybe you could just print your FICO score.

My credit cards often have "free FICO Score" now. The display shows my nice responsible score, plus a chart showing that the score is in the upper group. If you have something similar, print the score and chart, attach it to a note saying "my credit is above average" or some such, and presumably they have no grounds to screen you out. No details of your actual accounts would need to be conveyed.
BogleBike,
This is a good suggestion. As others have pointed out, this isn’t typical landlording. Landlord might not know what he/she is supposed to look for on a credit report. Therefore, no reason to pay anything or reveal much more than absolutely necessary.

If I may be so bold, I’d like to offer another suggestion: if the lease isn’t very specific (not professional), then it might be good to clarify the terms of your agreement—who does upkeep of the grounds, what repairs the landlord is responsible for, what you have to do to get your security deposit back, if there will be a checkin/checkout list, pet policy, smoke/nonsmoke, potential fees, etc. These are some things that good landlords specify to prevent conflicts later, and they help both sides if they are agreed to before signing the lease. Best wishes! Josh

minivan09ia

Post by minivan09ia » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:25 pm

Thanks everyone for your reply and suggestions. I will follow up with the landlord to discuss the issue.

I agree it is really strange the landlord have us (the renter) to provide her with the credit information.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:31 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:17 pm
lthenderson wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:01 pm
dm200 wrote:
How is that any different than what the landlord would get by pulling the credit report directly?
I don't know because I'm not a landlord but I'm assuming any report they pull doesn't have any sensitive information available and just has more general information.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:28 am

mervinj7 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:58 pm

... I don't need to collect and protect their SSN info...
If something ever goes wrong and you have to collect a judgement against them, you would be very thankful to have a SS number.

I never rent to anyone who will not give me his/her SS number.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:41 am

soccerrules wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:19 pm
interesting, never heard of that--but I like you haven't rented for myself in 25+ years.

I would think that is the Landlords responsibility and cost to incur, not yours. You co-sign on the lease and provide SS# and current address.
This is a very peculiar statement. I can't say I know the laws of all 50 states, but I know the ones of the states I have owned and rented in, and everyone I heard of allows landlords to charge an application fee which they can use to run a credit/background check. What leads you to believe this is a landlord cost?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:45 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:45 pm
jalbert wrote:
Also, me, what the heck. Hopefully this person is renting it at a discount.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:03 am

denovo wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:41 am
soccerrules wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:19 pm

This is a very peculiar statement. I can't say I know the laws of all 50 states, but I know the ones of the states I have owned and rented in, and everyone I heard of allows landlords to charge an application fee which they can use to run a credit/background check. What leads you to believe this is a landlord cost?
Maybe indirectly the landlord will charge the renter the expense of a background check through an app fee or $5/mo more for rent -- i don;t know. My point is the onus is on the landlord. FWIW I have never paid an application fee for when we rented or when we rented for our college kids.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.