Closing Thursday but new house wall damaged by seller’s mover

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
chen1991

Closing Thursday but new house wall damaged by seller’s mover

Post by chen1991 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:40 am

https://m.imgur.com/LmdtSAz
https://m.imgur.com/a/UTNozqV
Was doing my final walk yesterday and was told the movers made some damages to the wall during the process.

They were not gonna fix it before the closing. How much should I ask for seller’s credit?

Thank you in advance.

bungalow10

Re: Closing Thursday but new house wall damaged by seller’s mover

Post by bungalow10 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:00 am

Ask them for $100-$200 to have someone come out fix it.

If they don't agree I wouldn't sweat it. It looks easy enough to repair. More concerning is that there doesn't appear to be any type of finish on top of the drywall ... I'd be more concerned about the lack of plaster skim coat on the entire wall than about a few gouges in the drywall.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

chen1991

Post by chen1991 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:22 am

It is an old house (1930s) not sure if it has anything to do with the drywall finishing?

What issues I may encounter down the road because of drywall finishing?
bungalow10 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:00 am

If they don't agree I wouldn't sweat it. It looks easy enough to repair. More concerning is that there doesn't appear to be any type of finish on top of the drywall ... I'd be more concerned about the lack of plaster skim coat on the entire wall than about a few gouges in the drywall.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:30 am

chen1991 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:22 am
It is an old house (1930s) not sure if it has anything to do with the drywall finishing?

bungalow10 wrote:

Are you sure that's drywall? It seems to have a bit more texture to it than drywall. A 1930s house would more likely have plaster walls, unless the place has been substantially renovated. In any event, a small jar of spackling and some touch-up paint will fix it. That's a $5-20 repair.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:37 am

You have no leverage and it is minor damage. I would let this one go.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:38 am

Rupert wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:30 am
chen1991 wrote:

bungalow10 wrote:

Are you sure that's drywall? It seems to have a bit more texture to it than drywall. A 1930s house would more likely have plaster walls, unless the place has been substantially renovated. In any event, a small jar of spackling and some touch-up paint will fix it. That's a $5-20 repair.
Looks like drywall to me with the paper top scraped off. Plaster wouldn't have a paper top. He might need to repaint the whole wall to get a match.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:52 am

aristotelian wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:37 am
You have no leverage and it is minor damage. I would let this one go.
The OP absolutely has leverage. S/he can opt not to close until the issue is resolved.

I would have the realtor send an amendment to the purchase contract stating the damages will be repaired before closing or consideration (~$100 or whatever) will be granted at closing.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:02 am

Since this is likely minor damage, simply ask for a small $ amount held in escrow at closing to cover repairs. If you ask for $500, and it costs you say $150, then the remaining $350 eventually is released to the seller.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:16 am

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:02 am
Since this is likely minor damage, simply ask for a small $ amount held in escrow at closing to cover repairs. If you ask for $500, and it costs you say $150, then the remaining $350 eventually is released to the seller.
This looks like the best option. I would not want the seller to make the repairs because they would do the cheapest job possible. I would want to make sure the repair is done properly, so I would want to be in charge of the repair.

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:19 am

You have to consider additional costs if there isn’t matching paint in the garage.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:25 am

That's very minor damage that would just require normal pre-painting prep work to repair. Since that paint color doesn't go well with the carpet you will probably be repainting (and probably putting down new floor covering) anyway so it is not worth mentioning. No doubt you will find many worse but still minor problems that need to be fixed once you move in. Closing and moving is stressful enough without being irritated by something relatively minor.

If you particularly like that paint color you might ask them where they got it and the name of the color if they didn't leave the leftovers under the sink or in the garage.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:58 am

Blue carpet, green paint, old lady hand rails. Just a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing you're about to renovate this house and this damage is taken care of in a matter of minutes when you're doing that work.

The more alarming part is that you're buying a home and you don't know how much something like this would cost to repair or how to do it yourself. When you start renovating, how are you going to know how to not let subs rake you over the coals?

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 am

Truly a minor annoyance. I would be surprised if there were not dozens of scratches, picture hanger holes, etc. etc. all over the house.

Play hardball and ask for a hundred if you are having second thoughts about the house or don't really care if or when you close.

And as noted- you're going to own this thing, and lots of stuff is going to happen, some trivial like this and others truly major. You need to know the difference between what is important and what's not.

And...that blue carpet is bad for the eyes.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:45 am

Pajamas wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:25 am
That's very minor damage that would just require normal pre-painting prep work to repair. Since that paint color doesn't go well with the carpet you will probably be repainting (and probably putting down new floor covering) anyway so it is not worth mentioning. No doubt you will find many worse but still minor problems that need to be fixed once you move in. Closing and moving is stressful enough without being irritated by something relatively minor.
+1 Exactly my thoughts.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:28 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:38 am
Rupert wrote:
chen1991 wrote:

bungalow10 wrote:

Looks like drywall to me with the paper top scraped off. Plaster wouldn't have a paper top. He might need to repaint the whole wall to get a match.
Yes, definitely not plaster and no plaster skim coat.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:34 am

bungalow10 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:28 am
cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:38 am
Rupert wrote:
chen1991 wrote:

bungalow10 wrote:

Yes, definitely not plaster and no plaster skim coat.
Might be local custom. As an example in CT, no skim coat, just taping drywall seams, etc. No strapping on ceiling joists. MA has skim coat and strapping

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:12 pm

I disagree with the group. This damage may look trivial, but unless you are experienced in home repairs, it’s not. The holes need to be filled, sanded, primed, and then the whole room probably needs to be repainted as a touch up even with the original paint (if it’s available) will show. There’s damage to both sides of the stairway and to the door jamb. The door jamb needs sanding, priming, and a finish coat on the whole thing. The walls need to be cut in at the ceiling and at the baseboard and the carpet needs to be protected from paint drips. Since you can’t sand the spakle until it dries, you’re into a second day to prime. I don’t trust paint and primer in one, so I would be into a third day to paint. The hardware all needs to be removed to paint the walls.

I would demand that the careless movers put up $1000 and then I would hire a pro to get this done. The damage wasn’t there when the contract for the house was signed and now it is. If the homeowner expected to move in and not have to do this work, regardless of whether some of us don’t like the color of the walls and the carpet, the movers or the owner who retained them are responsible for repairing this new damage. I wouldn’t let the owner off the hook for this. Are they going to break the contract for $1000 after they already moved out.