Podcasts on money management and investing basics

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Matahari

Podcasts on money management and investing basics

Post by Matahari »

Hello everyone,

My D loved her economics classes but is not an economics major. Rather, she is a STEM major.

She sometimes listens to podcasts while busy with other things. She listens to Planet Money on NPR but it's not terribly on point.

There are books, of course, that she can read, but her free time is scarce presently.

If anyone has personal experience with good podcasts she can try out, I would appreciate your suggestions and I'll pass them along to her.

Thank you!
StormShadow

Re: Podcasts on money management and investing basics

Post by StormShadow »

Off the top of my head: Money Girl, Dave Ramsey and Vanguard (they had several running). There are a lot of them. I find that they can get a little repetitive and boring... which is what good investing should be. Or you could just point her here.

Personally, I enjoy listening to Planet Money and Freakanomics much better. Why does most Greek yogurt not come from Greece? Why do drug dealers work at McDonalds? Now THAT is interesting stuff!
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Multiple previous threads on the subject. This list is pretty good, you might add doughroller, mad fiendish and suze orman.
https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my ... -to-follow
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

My favorite podcast and my recommendation to an economics major is freakonomics. Possibly over 2000 hours of entertaining and thought provoking material. My 3 favorite podcasts on money and investing are doughroller, paul merriman, and money for the rest of us. Also i could never forget about Clark Howard's podcast. A money management expert with no conflicts of interest and the nicest guy i have never met.
Topic Author
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

StormShadow wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:03 am Off the top of my head: Money Girl, Dave Ramsey and Vanguard (they had several running). There are a lot of them. I find that they can get a little repetitive and boring... which is what good investing should be. Or you could just point her here.

Personally, I enjoy listening to Planet Money and Freakanomics much better. Why does most Greek yogurt not come from Greece? Why do drug dealers work at McDonalds? Now THAT is interesting stuff!
Thanks. I'll pass the recommendations along.

I agree that Planet Money is interesting; I've listened to it myself and it's entertaining.
Topic Author
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

mhalley wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:04 am Multiple previous threads on the subject. This list is pretty good, you might add doughroller, mad fiendish and suze orman.
https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my ... -to-follow
Thanks for the reminder -- I will do a search for other threads as well -- and recommendations.

Thanks for the link.
Topic Author
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

averagedude wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:34 am My favorite podcast and my recommendation to an economics major is freakonomics. Possibly over 2000 hours of entertaining and thought provoking material. My 3 favorite podcasts on money and investing are doughroller, paul merriman, and money for the rest of us. Also i could never forget about Clark Howard's podcast. A money management expert with no conflicts of interest and the nicest guy i have never met.
Thanks -- I also found Money for the Rest of Us, and it looks very promising. There's a very good index of the archived podcasts.

I'll pass the other recommendations along also.
VegasBH

Post by VegasBH »

I enjoy https://www.choosefi.com/

these guys do overviews of many different aspects and are good interviewers
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

Matahari wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:53 pm Hello everyone,

My D loved her economics classes but is not an economics major. Rather, she is a STEM major.

She sometimes listens to podcasts while busy with other things. She listens to Planet Money on NPR but it's not terribly on point.

There are books, of course, that she can read, but her free time is scarce presently.

If anyone has personal experience with good podcasts she can try out, I would appreciate your suggestions and I'll pass them along to her.

Thank you!
old podcast from APM Marketplace Money. By old, I mean pre-2014. Lots of good personal finance advice, with the following being the tops ones I learned from there:

-Save at least 15% of your paycheck;
-Do not take cash out your equity investments when it takes a tumble;
-What a Roth IRA is, and how the principle in a Roth IRA may be withdrawn penalty free after five year;
-Tax saving advantages of high deductible health plans.

It was like a boglehead forum for everyday consumption. Too bad they changed formats in 2014, and now it's just a lot of fluff but without substance. Word has it that its original host got tired of answering the same personal finance questions for the better part of a decade and quit.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

I like two podcasts that are very on-point:
- Mad Fientist
- Bigger Pockets Money
ping1050

Post by ping1050 »

Paul merriman
White coat investor (for the higher income professional)
Dough roller
Radical personal finance
Money for the rest of us
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Econtalk is good, but bland.
Not a podcast, but any book by Thomas Sowell is worth it’s weight in gold.
If you lean a little left, Freakanomics and Planet Money are interesting. But because I love all things by the Sowell man (Thomas Sowell is an American treasure, guys), I can’t help but roll my eyes a little at Freak and Planet Money.
racy

Post by racy »

ping1050 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:49 pm ....Money for the rest of us
One of my favorites, too. You'll get some Chinese philosophers thrown in once in awhile! David is an Interesting, well-read, well-traveled guy!
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

I did not see it listed, you might try Ben & Mike https://animalspiritspod.libsyn.com

They are a smaller sized investment operation.
You might like the contemporaneous financial banter.
Good Luck!
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Barry Ritholtz Masters in Business podcast interviews are quite good, and not solely about investing.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I often listen to Better Off with Jill Schlesinger. This is her new podcast that is sponsored by the Betterment robo-advisor. Promos for the sponsor, of course, but not pushy.

I was going to mention the new one I just started listening to because he recently did a series on singletons (since so much advice is for couples) but then I looked an saw that the title of the podcast is Retirement Answer Man Show. So, probably not relevant for your daughter.
Topic Author
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

VegasBH wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:23 pm I enjoy https://www.choosefi.com/

these guys do overviews of many different aspects and are good interviewers
Thanks. I'll check this out for myself, as well.
Topic Author
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

InvisibleAerobar wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Matahari wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:53 pm Hello everyone,

Thank you!
old podcast from APM Marketplace Money. By old, I mean pre-2014. Lots of good personal finance advice, with the following being the tops ones I learned from there:

-Save at least 15% of your paycheck;
-Do not take cash out your equity investments when it takes a tumble;
-What a Roth IRA is, and how the principle in a Roth IRA may be withdrawn penalty free after five year;
-Tax saving advantages of high deductible health plans.

It was like a boglehead forum for everyday consumption. Too bad they changed formats in 2014, and now it's just a lot of fluff but without substance. Word has it that its original host got tired of answering the same personal finance questions for the better part of a decade and quit.

Thanks for the tip. I'll bookmark this as well. At some point, when she's got more time (she's a rising college senior and this is a very busy summer for her), I plan to load her up with the Boglehead-approved books.
Topic Author
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

BradJ wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:54 pm Econtalk is good, but bland.
Not a podcast, but any book by Thomas Sowell is worth it’s weight in gold.
If you lean a little left, Freakanomics and Planet Money are interesting. But because I love all things by the Sowell man (Thomas Sowell is an American treasure, guys), I can’t help but roll my eyes a little at Freak and Planet Money.
Thanks for the recommendation. I just came across Thomas Sowell myself -- what a distinguished career he's had. I plan to look for his publications when time permits.
Topic Author
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

racy wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:03 pm
ping1050 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:49 pm ....Money for the rest of us
One of my favorites, too. You'll get some Chinese philosophers thrown in once in awhile! David is an Interesting, well-read, well-traveled guy!
Thanks for chiming in. I like that he has notes and links for each of his podcasts -- just perfect for additional reading.
Topic Author
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

aspirit wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:07 pm I did not see it listed, you might try Ben & Mike https://animalspiritspod.libsyn.com

They are a smaller sized investment operation.
You might like the contemporaneous financial banter.
Good Luck!
Thank you for the contributions. I'll pass them along.
Topic Author
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

sleepysurf wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:42 pm Barry Ritholtz Masters in Business podcast interviews are quite good, and not solely about investing.
If this is not on point for my daughter, then I know a couple of other business-minded young people who might be interested. Thanks for the recommendation.
Topic Author
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

GerryL wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:21 pm I often listen to Better Off with Jill Schlesinger. This is her new podcast that is sponsored by the Betterment robo-advisor. Promos for the sponsor, of course, but not pushy.

I was going to mention the new one I just started listening to because he recently did a series on singletons (since so much advice is for couples) but then I looked an saw that the title of the podcast is Retirement Answer Man Show. So, probably not relevant for your daughter.
Thanks for chiming in here with your suggestions.