Anyone Still With An Old Barclays Dream Account? Have You Converted To A New Online Savings Account?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
bluerafters

Anyone Still With An Old Barclays Dream Account? Have You Converted To A New Online Savings Account?

Post by bluerafters » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:12 am

https://www.banking.barclaysus.com/faq.html?wc=true

The deprecated Dream is returning APY 1.20%, I’ve have 10k sitting in it, and has a bonus feature:

What bonuses can I earn?
When you make deposits every month for 6 consecutive months, you’ll earn a 2.5% bonus on the total interest earned over that time.
When you make no withdrawals over 6 consecutive months, you’ll earn a 2.5% bonus on interest you’ve earned over those months.

How hard was it to covert a Dream Account to a Online Savings Account?

At what point does it make sense mathematically to leave the Dream and move to a traditional savings (currently APY 1.65%)?

Or have you Left Barclays altogether in pursuit of higher % APY?

NancyABQ

Re: Anyone Still With An Old Barclays Dream Account? Have You Converted To A New Online Savings Account?

Post by NancyABQ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:58 am

I moved my Dream Accounts to regular savings months ago. When I noticed they raised the savings account rate and didn't raise the Dream Account rate, I called and they told me they were phasing them out. So I just moved everything to regular savings accounts.

That 2.5% bonus is inconsequential -- it is 2.5% on 1.20%, or basically 1.23%... The regular savings accounts are making 1.65% right now. Back when they supported the Dream Accounts, the rate was higher than a Savings account, but no more.

I recommend you switch right away!

bluerafters

Re: Anyone Still With An Old Barclays Dream Account? Have You Converted To A New Online Savings Account?

Post by bluerafters » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:02 am

NancyABQ wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:58 am
I moved my Dream Accounts to regular savings months ago. When I noticed they raised the savings account rate and didn't raise the Dream Account rate, I called and they told me they were phasing them out. So I just moved everything to regular savings accounts.

That 2.5% bonus is inconsequential -- it is 2.5% on 1.20%, or basically 1.23%... The regular savings accounts are making 1.65% right now. Back when they supported the Dream Accounts, the rate was higher than a Savings account, but no more.

I recommend you switch right away!
Appreciate the reply. Did you call or were you able to switch over online?

NancyABQ

Post by NancyABQ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:48 am

bluerafters wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:02 am
I called them and had them do it for me. I don't know if you can do it online. But I recall it was pretty painless.

bluerafters

Post by bluerafters » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:31 pm

NancyABQ wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:48 am
bluerafters wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:02 am
I called them and had them do it for me. I don't know if you can do it online. But I recall it was pretty painless.
Gotcha. Thanks!