How to find a tax adviser?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
guitarguy

How to find a tax adviser?

Post by guitarguy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 am

Looking to find a proper tax adviser for my mom’s finances.

Her tax “preparation” lady didn’t file paperwork for her capital gains taxes and now we need to file an amendment.

In addition to that, I’d like to find someone that can not only help with the preparation but also with advising questions. Fee-based, not a % or anything like that. I manage her portfolio and have a good handle on that part, but would like help with just the tax side of things.

How do I go about finding someone?

EDIT: or if anyone can recommend someone qualified in SE Michigan please send me a PM. Thanks!

FiveK

Re: How to find a tax adviser?

Post by FiveK » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:41 pm

You might try Free Tax Return Preparation for You by Volunteers | Internal Revenue Service for the tax prep issue. Don't know how many of those sites are open this time of year.

Also might be worth posting the tax advice question here. If you get a sensible answer then you're done. If not, you're no worse off than now. ;)

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Most tax offices (H&R Block, Liberty, etc) that are permanent will have people who work year round. Ask if they have an enrolled agent who can help you.

I can't count the number of times that I had to do an amended return for someone who had free help from a volunteer (like AARP tax help) where mistakes were made. I would not recommend that as an option.

Are you sure your mom took her capital gains tax forms to the tax preparer? They aren't mind readers.

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:14 pm

annielouise wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 pm
I can't count the number of times that I had to do an amended return for someone who had free help from a volunteer (like AARP tax help) where mistakes were made. I would not recommend that as an option.
It all depends who one gets, whether at a tax office or a VITA/AARP site.

There are no doubt examples of VITA/AARP doing something incorrectly. There are also examples of VITA/AARP preparers finding mistakes in a return done in a previous year by a paid preparer.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:02 am

As far as dealing with the capital gains, I would seriously consider going back to the person who did the original return. It is so much easier for her to amend the return than it is for someone else to have to start by recreating the original.

Then go look for someone different to help you with tax planning and with preparation for future years. A good place to get a recommendation is often from local small business owners.