Paper tax return filed at deadline - still no refund 7 weeks later

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jacoavlu

Paper tax return filed at deadline - still no refund 7 weeks later

Post by jacoavlu »

I did my taxes with TurboTax but my return required a form unsupported by TurboTax so I had to print and file by mail, which I did at the deadline. I’m expecting a refund, to be deposited directly to my bank account.

The IRS received my return and when I check the refund status website it says: Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available.

Anyone else paper file near the deadline and still waiting for a refund? Or paper filed near the deadline and have received a refund?

Mostly I’m looking for validation that this doesn’t mean I’m getting audited. (I’ve not received anything in the mail from the IRS.)
cutehumor

Re: Paper tax return filed at deadline - still no refund 7 weeks later

Post by cutehumor »

This happened to me a few years ago. I forgot to get my wife to sign the paper tax return. it was mailed back to me. I noticed it went from Kansas city to California then back to me. They had two sets of eyes look over the entire return.
Topic Author
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

I’m pretty sure my wife and I both signed the return.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Same boat, kind of. I filed my in-laws’ federal and state income tax forms on paper, mailed them at or near the deadline, and asked for paper checks. They have not yet arrived.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

eddot98 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 pm Same boat, kind of. I filed my in-laws’ federal and state income tax forms on paper, mailed them at or near the deadline, and asked for paper checks. They have not yet arrived.
Oops. I meant to say that their refund checks have not yet arrived.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

It can be worse. My state took four months to issue my refund.
lynneny

Post by lynneny »

I heard from the IRS a few weeks after I filed. They sent me a letter about an error I made in my tax return -- and a check for $5. I thought I owed them a very small penalty for not paying enough in estimated taxes, but they knocked the penalty down from $12 to $7, and sent back $5.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Tue May 07, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Tue May 07, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

No fair! I didn’t!
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Are you expecting a tax refund from the IRS this year? If you file a complete and accurate paper tax return, your refund should be issued in about six to eight weeks from the date IRS receives your return. If you file your return electronically, your refund should be issued in less than three weeks, even faster when you choose direct deposit.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/at-01-48.pdf

Up to eight weeks if no corrections are needed.

If corrections are necessary, it may take much longer.
mouses

Post by mouses »

jacoavlu wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:52 pm I’m pretty sure my wife and I both signed the return.
I scan my paper return and keep a copy in my electronic files. You don't?
Topic Author
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

I saved the pdf exported from TurboTax. And a copy of the unsupported form. I didn’t scan after signing.
Topic Author
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

still no refund, tomorrow is 9 weeks from IRS receipt of my paper return... tried calling this AM but couldn't figure out how to get a human.
md&pharmacist

Post by md&pharmacist »

Turbotax? Paper filing? Really? The IRS is probably irritated.

Get an accountant, or I'll go back to my cassette player and flip phone. :oops:

You're likely leaving refunds on the table. If you can't get this, how can you possibly get my higher level recommendations? :confused
Topic Author
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

They’re not that complicated. I’m sure my return is much less complex than yours.

We have an accountant, a good one, worked with him for many years, he still does our business taxes which is where most deductions are. Not much changing year to year. It’s a good learning experience.
jym

Post by jym »

I too filed a paper return shortly before the April deadline, and I didn't hear anything back for a while. Last week I got a "surprise" check from the IRS, and a few days later a CP24 notice explaining that the IRS had adjusted my return.

Even for us paper filers, the IRS website tax transcript service is pretty useful. It was a little tedious to set up an account, but well worth it. My transcript pdf showed my return was being adjusted almost two weeks before the check arrived, though the friendly "where's my refund" web service didn't know anything about it. The paper explanation arrived in the mail a few days after a check.

(I knew I'd made a mistake almost immediately after dropping my return in the mail, but it was one of the mistakes the IRS computers are intended to catch and automatically fix. I knew that no 1040X amendment would be needed, and I just had to wait. The CP24 notice was very readable and exactly what I expected.)
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

3 months on we're still waiting on a state refund. The website shows the return was received but has still not been processed. We'd come close to breaking even without the tax credits for some of the charitable contributions. With the credits we'll get a substantial refund, unless something strange happened in the budget to reduce the pool of credits available. Maybe now that the impeachment drama is over the state can get back to work.
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

jacoavlu wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:17 pm still no refund, tomorrow is 9 weeks from IRS receipt of my paper return... tried calling this AM but couldn't figure out how to get a human.
We're sort of in the same boat with our return and refund, due to a problem with our tax preparer. At least I've been able to speak with a live person at IRS, but only because I stumbled across this web site containing the magic formula for getting through the maze to a live human. It works.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/26475 ... r-the-line
Chip

Post by Chip »

md&pharmacist wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:13 pm If you can't get this, how can you possibly get my higher level recommendations? :confused
It isn't a bug, it's a feature.
mouses

Post by mouses »

md&pharmacist wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:13 pm Turbotax? Paper filing? Really? The IRS is probably irritated.

Get an accountant, or I'll go back to my cassette player and flip phone. :oops:

You're likely leaving refunds on the table. If you can't get this, how can you possibly get my higher level recommendations? :confused
I fail to understand this post. Are you suggesting bogleheads should throw away money on accountants when they are perfectly capable of doing their tax returns themselves? What's next, getting an Edward Jones advisor?
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

The IRS is currently paying 5% on late refunds. If you filed on time this year, the refund clock started running on June 1, 2018.

So what's the hurry? Where else can you get 5% interest on US government-backed debt?
Topic Author
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

^^^ interesting. I suppose the interest is taxable. :wink:

I tried to register last night to get a tax transcript but the website was broken
AAA

Post by AAA »

jacoavlu wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:26 pmI did my taxes with TurboTax but my return required a form unsupported by TurboTax so I had to print and file by mail, which I did at the deadline.
I would imagine that "at the deadline" the IRS gets swamped with returns, leading to a big backlog. So 7 weeks doesn't sound too unusual.
Topic Author
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

tax transcript gives a code 971 notice issued for 3 days ago so I'll probably get a letter soon :|
celia

Post by celia »

Do you remember on the filing deadline, the IRS computers crashed and extended the filing deadline an extra day for everyone? Supposedly it was because of too many people waiting until the deadline to file. (I'm in that group, too.). So instead of having their work more spread out, they were overloaded.

Just give it more time. I imagine the last minute mail in returns arrived even later than the online crush.
Topic Author
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

Well to wrap this up I got my refund about 13 weeks after filing. At about 9 weeks I got a CP05 notice telling me my return was under review. Requested nothing from me. I guess I must have passed. About 90 days worth of interest added. Beats the heck out of prime money market. Not sure if I’ll get any communication from the service explaining things or not.
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

jacoavlu wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:27 amI suppose the interest is taxable. :wink:
Yep. I got a 1099 form from them two years ago for interest. It was weird putting that on my 1040 Schedule B...Name of Payer: IRS.